HW/Weihrauch HW77 Cocking Lever Removal

if it is not broke don't fix it .
Great idea in theory. But, in the MK1 there’s no anti-bear trap. So, if the cocking foot breaks and your thumb is in there when it happens… Was apparently a thing with some of the very early ones, brittle, over hardened I would guess. I won’t replace with the stock pin. T R Robb or similar.

Reactions: beerthief
Great idea in theory. But, in the MK1 there’s no anti-bear trap. So, if the cocking foot breaks and your thumb is in there when it happens… Was apparently a thing with some of the very early ones, brittle, over hardened I would guess. I won’t replace with the stock pin. T R Robb or similar.
I'm all for keeping our thumbs. But the only way you could get yours caught in there if the foot broke would be if you were loading before the trigger latched. I would hope none of us would be dumb enough to do that.

Once the trigger is latched you'd have a latch rod fail or have to activate the trigger to have the comp tube slam closed on your finger. Rekords can be made unsafe so that's a possibility if the gun was improperly serviced. That's why we hold the lever while loading.

The possibility of the foot failing and the trigger being activated at the same time while holding the lever are a billion to one. Unless you're really unlucky and don't know what you're doing with a Rekord.

Let common sense prevail.

Reactions: Frogy
I'm all for keeping our thumbs. But the only way you could get yours caught in there if the foot broke would be if you were loading before the trigger latched. I would hope none of us would be dumb enough to do that.

Once the trigger is latched you'd have a latch rod fail or have to activate the trigger to have the comp tube slam closed on your finger. Rekords can be made unsafe so that's a possibility if the gun was improperly serviced. That's why we hold the lever while loading.

The possibility of the foot failing and the trigger being activated at the same time while holding the lever are a billion to one. Unless you're really unlucky and don't know what you're doing with a Rekord.

Let common sense prevail.
I wondered about that because I believe all of the HW77 have the automatic safety. But, then why on earth did they put the anti bear trap/trigger block mechanism in the later guns if compression chamber won’t move even with a broken foot unless you take the safety off and pull the trigger? That’s all I was worried about. Gun came to me with 18 oz trigger but lockup and wall are very solid. Thanks, Ron.

I wondered about that because I believe all of the HW77 have the automatic safety. But, then why on earth did they put the anti bear trap/trigger block mechanism in the later guns if compression chamber won’t move even with a broken foot unless you take the safety off and pull the trigger? That’s all I was worried about. Gun came to me with 18 oz trigger but lockup and wall are very solid. Thanks, Ron.
You can't underestimate the powers of stupidity and lawyers. A manufacturer has to make things damn near idiot proof to protect themselves from litigation. Keep hold the lever and don't load until the safety kicks out and you'll be fine.

You can't underestimate the powers of stupidity and lawyers. A manufacturer has to make things damn near idiot proof to protect themselves from litigation. Keep hold the lever and don't load until the safety kicks out and you'll be fine.
Always do. Can’t imagine why anyone would do differently. Shot it tonight and it’s settling in nicely. And I finished with 9 fingers ha ha ha

I had a HW77 decades ago. It let loose on me. I did catch it by holding the lever but wasn’t loading yet. Come to find out the factory grease on the spring of the safety button had hardened along with the orange paint on the safety that was flaking off, jammed the safety from full engagement. It acted properly but wasn’t quite all the way out. So the trigger wasn’t fully set. Word of caution for ALL Weihrauch owners. Clean the factory grease out of the safety cavity, button and spring. Then add new grease. I would remove the orange paint also. It’s of no use anyway. Do this periodically.

Reactions: Sc0-
I suppose that I'm one of those one in a million idiots that nearly amputated his thumb while loading his springer. Early on, and as the proud new owner of an Air Arms TX200 MKIII, I let go of the cocking lever while mis-loading a pellet in my rifle. The dear ladies sitting over a third of a mile away came close to having me ejected from our resort over the well, should I say, colorful language I may have used when that beartrap slammed shut against my thumb. Believe me, that hurt! I bled all over the place and couldn't use my thumb for weeks. Oh yeah, my dear wife was concerned about getting the blood out of my shirt. That's the sort of sympathy one gets after more than 50 years of marriage. At least she wasn't privy to my, as she would say, colorful sailor language. Oh yes. . . I haven't a clue as to what went wrong that day, but believe me, I have not let go of that cocking lever in the years since that day. I may be an idiot, but I am not stupid. Orv.

I suppose that I'm one of those one in a million idiots that nearly amputated his thumb while loading his springer. Early on, and as the proud new owner of an Air Arms TX200 MKIII, I let go of the cocking lever while mis-loading a pellet in my rifle. The dear ladies sitting over a third of a mile away came close to having me ejected from our resort over the well, should I say, colorful language I may have used when that beartrap slammed shut against my thumb. Believe me, that hurt! I bled all over the place and couldn't use my thumb for weeks. Oh yeah, my dear wife was concerned about getting the blood out of my shirt. That's the sort of sympathy one gets after more than 50 years of marriage. At least she wasn't privy to my, as she would say, colorful sailor language. Oh yes. . . I haven't a clue as to what went wrong that day, but believe me, I have not let go of that cocking lever in the years since that day. I may be an idiot, but I am not stupid. Orv.
I'm sorry that happened to you.

Experience is golden 🤤