• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW55 versus HW98

Here's my 55M. I have an adapter for a modern seal but opted for a leather one instead. Glad I did. The shot cycle is so smooth with the leather (per Scott's recommendation - thanks Scott). Put a new Macarri spring in it. Kept everything else original. Best airgun Weihrauch ever made.
IMG_3704.JPG
IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3699.JPG
IMG_3698.JPG

Those are beautiful John, thanks for showing!
No kidding! Two beauties.

Just IMHO, the beech-stocked HW 55S is a bit underrated as a collectible. All the good mechanical bits in a slightly slimmer, more rounded, more ambitextrous, and tougher stock, just a great all-round air rifle. A pal once described it as, "The gun a frugal German used to win the match, then shoot dinner on the way home!"

PS. Never get tired of seeing your 55M, wijib! Great work on your part.

Reactions: kingfisher61
No kidding! Two beauties.

Just IMHO, the beech-stocked HW 55S is a bit underrated as a collectible. All the good mechanical bits in a slightly slimmer, more rounded, more ambitextrous, and tougher stock, just a great all-round air rifle. A pal once described it as, "The gun a frugal German used to win the match, then shoot dinner on the way home!"

PS. Never get tired of seeing your 55M, wijib! Great work on your part.
Agreed. I bought my first HW55M directly from Beeman when they discontinued them. Had several since. Being a lefty I never liked the feel of the stock cheek piece on my thumb. Had a HW55T also but never got to realize it’s wonderful stock design. Then, not so long ago picked up this “as new” 55S. By far it’s my favorite. And I don’t like Beechwood stocks.
B19CFDC6-69A1-4B34-BA0E-05EC1989D323.jpeg

Beeman put airguns into different categories like sporter/field use & match. I think the 55 and 98/R11 fall pretty well into one or the other of these categories. The 55 with an average of <700fps and the 98/R11 at 935 (both .177, untuned) you could use the 55 to hunt but for me it would not be my first choice. I also would not use my 98/R11 for 10M precision target shooting. Both are excellent but as others mentioned the 55 & 98 were each made for different purposes, 55 for 10m match accuracy, 98 for field target.

55- M, MM with light barrel sleeve & Tyrolean with heavy barrel sleeve.
424 HW55- SM, MM & Tyrolean.JPG

R11- MKI (right side lever safety, super short stock, scope rail), MKIII (longer stock, dovetail) & MKIV (full length stock)
418 Beeman R11 MKI, III & IV.JPG