• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW55 versus HW98

I do have a recent copy of the HW98, but missed out on buying a HW55 when Beeman sold them. How do they compare in accuracy? Granted, a lot of the HW55 sport diopter rear sights, and most HW98 rifles wear scopes. But they are both break barrel rifles. An FWB 300S is in my must-have program. I did have an Anschultz 380, but sold it for a reason I have forgotten. Buy a Diana Air King 54? Anyhow, HW 55 or HW98?

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I have 2x HW55s. They are my favorite Weihrauch by a pretty wide margin. Very tame and the trigger is a step up over a standard Rekord. The barrel latch is what really does it for me for some reason. Its pretty unique, looks good, and the process of shooting it just feels a bit more special than your run of the mill break barrel. It makes you slow down a bit and really appreciate what you're doing.

I have 2x HW55s. They are my favorite Weihrauch by a pretty wide margin. Very tame and the trigger is a step up over a standard Rekord. The barrel latch is what really does it for me for some reason. Its pretty unique, looks good, and the process of shooting it just feels a bit more special than your run of the mill break barrel. It makes you slow down a bit and really appreciate what you're doing.
Curious, besides the locking trigger nut, what’s different ..

Curious, besides the locking trigger nut, what’s different ..
I'm really not 100% sure there to be honest. I think the geometry may be a hair different and definitely some springs. You can tweak them down to 4-5oz (maybe lower?) while keeping a first stage that resets if you cancel the shot and a second stage wall that breaks a bit cleaner.

Reactions: A.G.R
You I'm really not 100% sure there to be honest. I think the geometry may be a hair different and definitely some springs. You can tweak them down to 4-5oz (maybe lower?) while keeping a first stage that resets if you cancel the shot and a second stage wall that breaks a bit cleaner.
That’s cool, it does take some finagalin to get some REKORDS to go to oz s. and still have the to battery , I’ve changed springs or adjusted them.. to help

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I have the 55 and 98. The 98 is in 22 caliber. Both very accurate. The best way I can describe the difference is:
If both the 55 and 98 were a slab of butter, the 55 is at room temperature, nice and soft. The 98 just came out of the refrigerator.
I love that butter bit,lol, sounds like my wife in the morning.lol Steve!

I have both but to me they are different enough in purpose as it's hard to compare. If you want to target shoot bullseyes with the micrometer sights the 55 is the way to go. If you want to do longer distance shooting the 98. Both are fantastic guns, the 55 does have a special feel to it and is one I wouldn't pass up if you see one available as they are harder to come by today.

Never had an HW 98, so can't comment beyond noting it's a significantly more powerful gun than the HW 55.

The HW 55 was a target version of the classic original HW 50 sporter, manufactured for about 50 years ending at the turn of the century. The receiver tube of these guns is 30mm outside diameter (same as current HW 50), but is internally quite different. They use a 25mm seal and have the heavy threaded rear section, similar to HW's current "big tube" rifles (HW 35, HW 80/R1, and HW 77/97).

The HW 50 and 55 had the same length barrel and same receiver tube. There were MANY detail variations to both models over the years, but these changes distinguish the 55 from the 50 after production hit its stride in the early 1960's:
  1. Match diopter sights
  2. Heavier stock made in five different styles over the years (per pic below)
  3. Weaker mainspring reducing velocity to arount 600 FPS
  4. Lighter return spring and hand-polished sears in the Rekord trigger
  5. Later guns have a separate locking collar on the trigger weight adjuster screw
  6. Earlier guns had the breech leade subtly "stretched" with a tapered mandrel
  7. Leather piston seal, with a unique attachment detail on earlier guns
  8. Completely re-designed breech with:
    1. Longer breech block
    2. Small auto latch in the standing breech face
    3. Separate locking breech latch, a rotating bolt operated by a thumb lever on the left side
    4. Locking bolt contacts a small tilting block within the breech block
    5. Lock tension is adjustable via a large screw under the tilting block
    6. Extremely close-fitting leather breech seal

Last edited:
@MDriskill shared a wealth of accurate information as always.

The most notable difference IMO in the HW55 Vs any other Weihrauch...

The HW55 is setup for a different (better/quicker) shot cycle than any Weihrauch made. The piston is lightened, the transfer port is oversized, and they continued with the leather seal when other guns went synthetic. Makes for a nearly instant and snappy shot cycle that makes shooting one accurately a breeze. They are setup to have a shot cycle that has no bounce or surge, basically more of a controlled slam. Same logic as in the FWB300 series.

The tradeoff there is that the power is limited to around factory specs and no more.

The 98 is so different that I don't think you could even compare them. It's nothing more than an HW95 in a different stock with a barrel weight. Same powerplant, same trigger, etc.

Personally, I like BoGs butter comparison. Too funny!
I have a Custom 98 built by Mike Abernethy. It's very smooth and its ergonomic stock makes it effortless to shoulder and shoot. Many hours and lots of effort to achieve this.
My HW55s are designed to be that way from the factory as mentioned by Mr. Driskill and Thumper. The 55 is deadly accurate but not powerful....focus is on accuracy.
The 98 is geared towards accuracy....but with power. I have a friend who has one tuned by John Thomas. This guy shoots snails at the beach from 50+ yards off hand with ease.
But if I had to choose an everyday plinker it would be the HW55. The cocking effort is so light and the trigger so sublime that it's a wonder HW ever went further in airgun development and design.

20221031_163742.jpg

20221031_163925.jpg

20221031_163557.jpg

20240124_153205.jpg

20240124_153408.jpg

20240124_153210.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you thumper for your usual insightful analysis! I've collected 55's for some time, and yes, there's more going on than just an HW 50 with a barrel lock. Many subtle and interesting tweaks to its details.

Here is the unique piston seal detail noted above. A similarly sized Diana seal is on the left, the other four are from HW 55's. Instead of the solid center piece typically used in leather cup seals, there's just a flat washer (three are metal, but on the right is a plastic one which disintegrated). If the chamber is kept well-oiled, the leather eventually wraps around the front of the washer to form a thick pad.
IMG_3514.jpeg

I assumed the first one I saw was a bad amateur re-seal, but after finding half a dozen it's obviously part of the OEM design to soften the firing cycle! Later 55's went to a more normal seal...as do I when I find the older ones.

The 55 is not a powerhouse, but you can replace the original target spring with one from the old HW 50, or an aftermarket equivalent, to get it up close to 700 FPS with light pellets. I kinda prefer the quicker, crisper shot cycle this gives.

This old ad touches on some of the HW 55's interesting details, but you have to roll your eyes at some of the advertising claims! Would love to see those "laboratory controlled tests," eh...😜
IMG_1127.jpeg

Last edited:
LNIB
My sweet gal bought it for me for Christmas even before we were married. In our 20's. She went to the local Beeman dealer and bought it. I have a few others and can't bring myself to shoot or heaven forbid part with this one. I picked up a nice used 55 M afterwords. So sentimental about it but she's really an incredible wife and mother. Amazing person. LOL she told me she doesn't like guns when we met. Susie spend many days outdoors shooting her R7 smashing cans with me. And she still says it's very relaxing for her to hear that pellet smack the can.
IMG_3785.pngIMG_1541.JPG

Had these 55s out on the range last night. My friend Mike came by and got to try them out.
The Sport is set up as such with a Beeman peep and a slightly stronger spring. Compared to the 55M, it's day and night.
The 55M is so silky smooth and has such a tame cycle that the 55S is harsh in comparison. The 55M produced one hole consistently. The 55S all within .5 inch. Such lovely old girls!!

20240201_165855.jpg

20240201_165831.jpg

20240201_165829.jpg