• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
New HW50s 177 cal. My thoughts. After receiving it, I cleaned it, checked screws. ok. Mount scope. Using standard 2 piece mounts . Start shooting. , at 20 yards shot 18 inches low🤨. Shim scope several time quit at 25 Thousandths . So back to the basement. Install a droop compensator mount. It has 29 thousandths built in. Ended up adding. 10 thousandth to that . Now scope isn’t being over adjusted . Now the gun looks great. Wood perfect ,blueing is nice. Fit is good. The trigger perfect. , how does it shoot. It will stack 7.9 crosman at 20 yards. Can hit spinners at 50 yards . Heck my Diana 34 doesn’t have that much droop. My WH95. Has some droop still after fixing the cocking arm issue , My Hatsan doesn’t have that much. I’m not sure where I’m going with is thread other than to vent . And if someone new to springers would think they were doing right buy get this . guns like this give spring guns a black eye. Thanks for letting me vent . This will be my last HW. picture has the 2 piece mount not the droop mount . Calling AOA on Monday !!
8972275E-53C3-47AC-BBFD-3B8FA3983C54.jpeg

Same thing happened with a new HW50 I ordered and set up for an elderly friend of mine. Subtracting distance from line of sight to line of bore, the gun had 60 MOA of droop! The bell of his new scope was already nearly touching the compression tube in medium Sportsmatch rings so there was no room to shim in the rear and he didn't want high rings. We bent the barrel using my version of barrel bending jigs others have shown here and elsewhere and now it shoots where it should.

In the days of the original ARH and Beeman's you could check a box on order forms for "select barrel angle" which got you a gun with as little droop as possible for scope use. Today you get what you get and if you don't like it and don't have the means to correct it yourself you pay to send it back and hope for better next time.

Reactions: Frogy
All my springers are older , bought used and usually tuned , not sure why they were sold other than thinning the herd . Only one that isn't up to spec's is a Diana 54 , now shooting @ 7 FPE nice shot cycle and smooth maybe it was tuned this way ? some day i might dig into it ?
Replace your breach seal. My .177 56TH was making 9 FPE with FTT. New Maccari breech seal and it went to almost 19 FPE with same pellets.

I must be lucky. My newly acquired HW50S was EZ to zero, both with factory irons and the BugBuster 3-12X32 I installed onto it. My only issue is that the relatively short length of the scope affects eye relief, which I tried to compensate for by shifting the scope as far back as possible; still not satisfied with the eye relief, but it's still zeroed.

@ Frogy, did you try shooting it with the factory iron sights prior to mounting the scope? That scope looks good, is that a 40mm objective lens? Tell me about it & the mounts! :)

I must be lucky. My newly acquired HW50S was EZ to zero, both with factory irons and the BugBuster 3-12X32 I installed onto it. My only issue is that the relatively short length of the scope affects eye relief, which I tried to compensate for by shifting the scope as far back as possible; still not satisfied with the eye relief, but it's still zeroed.

@ Frogy, did you try shooting it with the factory iron sights prior to mounting the scope? That scope looks good, is that a 40mm objective lens? Tell me about it & the mounts! :)
It’s a hawk 3x9x40 AO. The mounts in the picture are sports match medium No didn’t try the sights lol maybe in a year I’ll be able to use sights 😀 the sad thing the little guns shoots good even with that much barrel droop . its almost as easy to shoot as my HW97.

Reactions: crowski
I have had many hw50(99). In the UK certainly with my Gun shop droop in the 50 is a very well known issue. The last time I bought one he kindly went in the store room and came back with four guns and I picked the one with the LEAST droop. Normally it is not a problem.
4D2987CF-D3FE-4904-8753-85C7992FD485_1_201_a.jpeg
27093975-BC61-44E3-8A76-379F9FB92D24_1_201_a.jpeg

The droop would not affect opens the droop occurs where the barrel hinges. Both open sights are on the barrel.

New HW50s 177 cal. My thoughts. After receiving it, I cleaned it, checked screws. ok. Mount scope. Using standard 2 piece mounts . Start shooting. , at 20 yards shot 18 inches low🤨. Shim scope several time quit at 25 Thousandths . So back to the basement. Install a droop compensator mount. It has 29 thousandths built in. Ended up adding. 10 thousandth to that . Now scope isn’t being over adjusted . Now the gun looks great. Wood perfect ,blueing is nice. Fit is good. The trigger perfect. , how does it shoot. It will stack 7.9 crosman at 20 yards. Can hit spinners at 50 yards . Heck my Diana 34 doesn’t have that much droop. My WH95. Has some droop still after fixing the cocking arm issue , My Hatsan doesn’t have that much. I’m not sure where I’m going with is thread other than to vent . And if someone new to springers would think they were doing right buy get this . guns like this give spring guns a black eye. Thanks for letting me vent . This will be my last HW. picture has the 2 piece mount not the droop mount . Calling AOA on Monday !! View attachment 356388
I had the same issue with my HW50S.....I went in a different direction, bought a Williams peep and that works very well, I decided very quickly that I wasn't going to start buying special scope mounts or other accessories to try and make a scope work on the rifle, I didn't want to drag around the weight of a scope anyway so the peep sight satisfied my wants. However if I had bought a rifle to scope and it turned out like ours I would want my money back or a rifle that didn't need to be altered in order for a scope to work. JMHO

I just got 2 of them delivered to the house. One for me, and one for a guy at work. I installed a tinbum tune kit in the first one saturday. It is shooting smooth, but definately has some droop to it. The scope he wants to use is too short for a RWS lockdown mount, so I shimmed it, but have't got out to test it again yet. It will be a couple weeks before I get to mess with mine, have a lot of archery shoots the next 3 weekends. I may need to put some thought into a jig to bend the barrels.

I bought an HW30 and an HW50, the 30 barrel was nearly perfect. The 50 had excessive droop, ridiculous amount. Sent it back and have not purchased another. No need of such poor QC.
had the exact same experience just reversed. The Hw50 is almost perfect but the HW30 had a ton of droop. Luck of the draw I guess...

Reactions: Mcrafty1
Ok update. I’m not going to send it back. (I’m pretty sure). Even though it has a ton of barrel droop. Many reason it SHOOTS amazing!! I have been able to shoot with it for several days . I am blown away how well it shoots! This morning No wind not even a breeze. So I tryed hit my 2 1/2. Steel at 100 yards I could hit😳 it .so I painted it tired again shot 20 time off bench. (I’m no sharp shooter) I’m pleased with this HW 50s 177. Shooting crosman7.9 hollow points. This picture shows the utg drooper mount. That I currently using an like. Also have this on my Diana 48 posting pictures. ( you count the hits) using a Nikon range finder it’s 100yards to front of shed from my shooting bench .
A2FBAFAF-5706-46E7-A9C7-16D4801C767E.jpeg
C57EC567-239E-42AD-82B8-DD8F0FDB5F8C.jpeg
07BC68DA-FFE9-4A9F-8180-68B2DC9DADD5.jpeg
ABB83D56-3396-4A14-9EDC-246C222AD137.jpeg
B488651A-018A-42AA-B42B-FC089F4AE8E9.jpeg

I put the Williams peep on mine, I didn't want to let go of mine either, it is a tack driver shooting the H&N Barracudes 10.65gr. The droop was ridiculous, I had to raise the peep to it's max height to get it to zero but that worked out for me, it brought it up high enough that it 's easy to line up without having to crowd the cheek pad. Excellent shooting rifle but if it ever takes a scope it'll require some serious altercations. The droop seems to be a common theme with these rifles???