• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

HW50s tuned down for mild power

I am pondering the idea of an HW50S .177 tuned down to about 9.5-10 fpe. I love my HW30 in .177 and thought that maybe just a "little more gusto" would make a nice plinker. I have an HW50s in .22 with a standard factory tune. It's "jumpy" and noisy compared to my HW30. Although it shoots really really well, it is not as much fun to shoot as the 30. I've never tuned a springer so it would be a project that required first finding a 50 in .177 and then sending the rifle to a quality tuner. Has anybody tuned down an HW50 to the 9-10 fpe range? How did it turn out? I envision a nice polite plinker similar to my HW30 but with just a bit more energy. Am I on the right track? Thanks,
Kenny

Reactions: MEC17670
Air Rifle Headquarters sells an indoor plinkers kit for the 50S that may be right up your alley
Thanks. I've seen that kit mentioned but I believe it is an "indoor" kit that is powered more in line with 10 meter shooting. Probably in the 5-6fpe range. I'll take another look at it. I do appreciate your input.
Kenny

Thanks. I've seen that kit mentioned but I believe it is an "indoor" kit that is powered more in line with 10 meter shooting. Probably in the 5-6fpe range. I'll take another look at it. I do appreciate your input.
Kenny
Yeah I'm not exactly sure what the power level is with that kit. He is very responsive to emails though so if you shoot him one I am sure he'll get back to you as soon as possible.

I have a .177 HW 50s that shoots the JSB 7.87 at an average of 705fps when it's hot, and about 715 when it's cold. That puts it at about 8.5-9fpe, and pretty close to what you're asking. I've stated a couple times in past posts that I like it enough that it's the only non-10m springer I kept, after cycling through a good number of high end springers.

Mine has a full power JM kit, using one of his sized Hornet seals.

I've had many comment that it's not healthy and should be putting out closer to 11fpe. But I live at 5600feet above sea level, robbing some fps. And I also like how docile it is that I have no plans to change it.

So, in my opinion, a 8-10fpe HW50s in .177 is a perfect package. Just the right size and weight (I found the new FWB Sport looonngg, and I found the RX2 and HW77K simply too heavy). I'm no longer pulling my hair out trying to keep scopes from sliding and stock screws from coming loose.

Next to an RX2 for size comparison.
And in a field target stock I made from hardware store limber.
IMG_20200406_080932_616906_RESIZE-8824.jpg

IMG_20190311_170024.jpg
IMG_20200605_114814.jpg
IMG_20190320_183606.jpg

I don't believe you need to give up power to settle down the shot cycle of a non magnum springer. If the rifle is jumpy and noisy then perhaps all is needed is a tighter spring guide. I would also replace that Weihrauch factory spring with an aftermarket spring like one from Air Rifle Headquarters. Getting rid of the factory grease and using a proper moly paste on the internal parts will help a lot too.

I've done this with a couple of HW95s and have gotten a very smooth shot cycle without giving up power.

Last edited:
I have a .177 HW 50s that shoots the JSB 7.87 at an average of 705fps when it's hot, and about 715 when it's cold. That puts it at about 8.5-9fpe, and pretty close to what you're asking. I've stated a couple times in past posts that I like it enough that it's the only non-10m springer I kept, after cycling through a good number of high end springers.

Mine has a full power JM kit, using one of his sized Hornet seals.

I've had many comment that it's not healthy and should be putting out closer to 11fpe. But I live at 5600feet above sea level, robbing some fps. And I also like how docile it is that I have no plans to change it.

So, in my opinion, a 8-10fpe HW50s in .177 is a perfect package. Just the right size and weight (I found the new FWB Sport looonngg, and I found the RX2 and HW77K simply too heavy). I'm no longer pulling my hair out trying to keep scopes from sliding and stock screws from coming loose.

Next to an RX2 for size comparison.
And in a field target stock I made from hardware store limber.View attachment 362880

View attachment 362876View attachment 362879View attachment 362878
Thank you Franklink for your detailed reply. That’s the info that I was looking for.

Kenny

I am pondering the idea of an HW50S .177 tuned down to about 9.5-10 fpe. I love my HW30 in .177 and thought that maybe just a "little more gusto" would make a nice plinker. I have an HW50s in .22 with a standard factory tune. It's "jumpy" and noisy compared to my HW30. Although it shoots really really well, it is not as much fun to shoot as the 30. I've never tuned a springer so it would be a project that required first finding a 50 in .177 and then sending the rifle to a quality tuner. Has anybody tuned down an HW50 to the 9-10 fpe range? How did it turn out? I envision a nice polite plinker similar to my HW30 but with just a bit more energy. Am I on the right track? Thanks,
Kenny
This is my new about 5 weeks old HW50s 177 cal 1000 pellets shoot. Never been apart Just ran her over the crony this morning
7E4F3E4C-A149-4BEA-856C-539DE24554F0.jpeg
Feet per second and foot pounds of energy 4 different pallet

Reactions: drpietrzak
Kenny
It may be oddly named, but IMHO the ARH indoor plinkers kit is the bomb and exactly what you are looking for. My hw50s in .177 was overpowered from the factory so I tried both the ARH and Vortek standard kits. Both improved the shot cycle, but were still too jumpy so I started clipping coils. Even down to 10.5-11fpe, neither kit gave me the experience I really wanted. Then I gave the ARH plinkers kit a try and that gave me a smooth, accurate, easy cocking 9-9.5fpe with JSB 8.4s. I enjoy target shooting and small game hunting out to 30 yards, and for my shooting needs this kit is a perfect fit for the hw50s in .177.
R

Reactions: Mycapt65
Kenny
Just detune the .22 down to 9-10 fpe. Or do you need a reason to buy another gun? The 50 is easy to work on, you can tune it yourself.

It may be oddly named, but IMHO the ARH indoor plinkers kit is the bomb and exactly what you are looking for. My hw50s in .177 was overpowered from the factory so I tried both the ARH and Vortek standard kits. Both improved the shot cycle, but were still too jumpy so I started clipping coils. Even down to 10.5-11fpe, neither kit gave me the experience I really wanted. Then I gave the ARH plinkers kit a try and that gave me a smooth, accurate, easy cocking 9-9.5fpe with JSB 8.4s. I enjoy target shooting and small game hunting out to 30 yards, and for my shooting needs this kit is a perfect fit for the hw50s in .177.
R
Thanks. That is good info. I was under the impression that kit would be lower powered than I would want since they described it as 10 meter in power level. I’ll have to look at it again. Thank you.

This is my new about 5 weeks old HW50s 177 cal 1000 pellets shoot. Never been apart Just ran her over the crony this morning View attachment 363282 Feet per second and foot pounds of energy 4 different pallet
Thanks Frogy. Thanks for sharing your notebook. Those power levels are just about what I’m looking for; especially with the 10.34 pellets. Your rifle seems to shoot a bit low for a factory tune. Do you live at a bit of a high elevation?
Kenny

Reactions: Frogy