HW/Weihrauch HW50s 22 cal

Should be 11-12 fpe with standard weight lead FTTs and RWS pellets. They usually don't do well with JSBs or heavier pellets. But not 8.5. Keep shooting it and see what happens.

Coincidentally yesterday I got a brand new 22 HW50 to tune. I have to chrono and accuracy test it before I start. I'll let you know if this is the same as yours when I do.

Just chrono'd the new 50. First shots were 617 and 605. I shot about ten more shots checking barrel angle before the ten shot chrono strings. Started decent at 591 the first string of ten. Steadily declining to 558. Big ES too 20 and 26 respectively. That's 11.37 declining to 10.13. There was no hint of dieseling. I imagine it might improve with use but I don't see it happening.

The good news is it doesn't have a lot of droop. It's got a little but it's from the new breech seal.

Well if it's new gun bought from aoa . I'd be telling them and maybe set up a rma . Just seems bern a few guys getting hws and finding there lacking the rated power .. so maybe make aoa eat the respring / retune and prove there work.

Or you take it down and inspect hw's work on. Lubed proper, seal not sliced up from the tube cutouts razor blades , ect... then go to arh or vortex and get stuff needed .. should not need a spring this early ,"but".... May as well add to cart with the rest and have it handy just in case..

No point for today's pricing to receive a unsatisfactory gun.. so there's the rma/ exchange/ warrantee from aoa or the dyi route.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmplinker2
Sounds like you still have a problem if power dropped off that much, breech seal not sealIng or piston seal not sealing or damaged.
Should be in low 600s with 14.6 gr pellet or there abouts. Or at least mine is
Thank you. You're right about where it should be. It's not the breech seal. Weihrauch breech seals seldom leak. At least on their break barrels. This will be an internal sealing issue.

Could it be fitted with a less powerful spring for sale in a country with a limit on muzzle energy (e.g., Germany or the UK)?
A UK HW99 (same model) should be in the region of 11 ft. lb., a German market will be under 6 ft. lb., so 8.5 ft. lb. is not by design, and probably due to a nicked piston seal, as has been suggested.

Incidentally, JSB pellet start pressure is roughly half that of H&N (harder lead alloy), so the JSB starts to move earlier in the compression stroke, and is too far up the barrel at piston bounce to gain full advantage of peak cylinder pressure and temperature.

The HW50 in .22 can be a potent rifle if tuned properly. Mine has a Vortek kit in it. This guy has great knockdown power. Much improved over a factory tune. Also I added a JM walnut stock to compliment the beautiful stainless. finish.
20200408_174801.jpg
20200408_174907.jpg

Just chrono'd the new 50. First shots were 617 and 605. I shot about ten more shots checking barrel angle before the ten shot chrono strings. Started decent at 591 the first string of ten. Steadily declining to 558. Big ES too 20 and 26 respectively. That's 11.37 declining to 10.13. There was no hint of dieseling. I imagine it might improve with use but I don't see it happening.

The good news is it doesn't have a lot of droop. It's got a little but it's from the new breech seal.
Mate did you get it sorted? I replaced the original seal in mine with one I got from target tune india many years ago when I put in a tbt maxi pro kit. It went from just over 12ftlb from factory to a consistent 10.2 I tried installing a power washer but the rifke would not cock

20231125_145939.jpg

Mate did you get it sorted? I replaced the original seal in mine with one I got from target tune india many years ago when I put in a tbt maxi pro kit. It went from just over 12ftlb from factory to a consistent 10.2 I tried installing a power washer but the rifke would not cock

View attachment 412288
The gun had issues that I couldn't fix and was returned for a refund. I was holding off until the refund cleared.

Weihrauch lately has had alot of QC issues since 2018 maybe 19. Certainty precovid.

The latest problem I've had with varying degrees has been Weihrauch has been using welded tubing instead of seamless. If they've been using welded tubing in the past, they machined the seam out of it to where it wasn't visible or detrimental. The last three new Weihrauchs that have been sent to me (two 50s and a 98) had visible seams in the compression tube..

Visible and tactile are two different things. Neither are ideal when trying to seal a cylinder. The last rifle sent to me would never make full power or shoot properly. The seam which of course runs the full length of the compression tube will perpetually leak pressure and eat piston seals.

Nothing short of honing the cylinder oversize would fix this gun. I've honed plenty of scored up used guns. It certainly shouldn't be necessary on a new gun. This one was beyond reasonable salvage. I recommended the customer get their money back if possible.

20221105_002139.jpg

20221105_002108.jpg

20221105_002301.jpg

20231101_142146.jpg

20221104_112312.jpg

20231101_142014.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: aaroncr