HW50S .20

Hello!

I am new and the monicker name is in honor of Bobby Fischer--Tal was already taken! (the USSR chess grand master!)

Anyway, springers have always been in my life and the latest is a .20 HW50S. Using JSB 13.73gr and the original iron sights this "light rifle" is capable of taking care of any business inside 35 yards or a little over--the longest length of my fenced backyard. I have set up iron targets to shoot, which are reactive and stand up when hit while released when the release target is hit above the lower targets.

So I know the limits of iron sights and pellets and bore sizes mostly by seeing what they do downrange with or without inanimate targets. So energy is always a factor, and the R7 or HW30 sometimes isn't "quite enough" either to hit the steel with enough impact or the living varmint you may find around your house.

I got the rifle in FEB and since then I've been shooting and tightening the rifle's screws (those always loosen in springers unless you went the extra mile to sort of cement them in) using only 13.73 JSB .20. Mean V is 601 fps and SD is 1 fps!

The rifle itself was given a production run to AOA which this rifle came from. It is absolutely outstanding! I have never had a "field" rifle so light, well balanced and as accurate as this very rifle. It competes with my HW98 .20 and my HW98 .177. I am shocked because the HW50 in this caliber is tides ahead of the .177 or .22! Which I've owned before the .20.

How is the .20 ahead of the .22? Or .177, Serious question. I've been shooting a really fast .177 lately, and have been shocked how much better it is at long range, even against my 65fpe .22 slug gun.

I've got a .22 HW50s that shoots 590fps with 16gr AA pellets

If we are talking about a lower powered springer like an HW50, with the 20 caliber pellet you get some more weight and frontal mass than the .177 pellet and yet more velocity than you would get in the 22.

A .177 or .22 would work just fine in that rifle but for that power range I think a .20 is the perfect balance.

I see the future of the "forgotten" .20 making a comeback,just as those long forgotten LPs are.

What say your are LPs and how fast do they go,33 and a third my friend,get in the groove .

Back now... I wish my HW was a .20 or even a .22.I find the .177 harsh,I will have to tune it down and teach it to obey my needs and not its,indeed it is a rifle worth keeping and tuning.

It was me that originally asked AOA about ordering these guns, I'm glad enough of us committed so they would place the order.

I sent mine to John in PA for a PG3 tune, barrel chop, and thread.

I installed a DonnyFL Sumo and it it VERY quiet.

Not quite a tin of pellets through it so far, and accuracy is very good.

I had John tune it to around 11 fpe with FTT's, and it shoots them at 665 avg.

I would recommend this gun to anyone that wants a light, good shooting gun.

5 shots 50 yards with FTT's

The limiting factor with my HW springers accuracy is ME.

This is about as good as I can do, gun is way more accurate than I am. ( too much caffeine, too much heartbeat in the scope)

jNcDsqK.jpg
[/url][/img]

Thank you for responding to my own experience with this new stock designed HW50S that I call a "cutaway" buttstock. The whole rifle is improved for me just because of the "new" Minelli Stock!

However, I own a number of .20s including the HW80, HW98, and a tuned D54 .20 which is kind of rare to see these days from LW made for the .20 in the D54.

Well, after shooting this morning the D54 .20 and switching to the HW50S .20 I found I was JUST AS ACCURATE with the open sighted HW50S .20 at 35 yards as with the D54 using a scope! The rifle is much lighter and much easier to hold and shoot over time without resting (I shoot only offhand at all ranges at all times).

I'd recommend getting one if you are a .20 cult fan! It may turn out to be the best rifle you ever purchased encompassing over 90% of your shots downrange (save the long range shots for a scoped rifle).

Today and yesterday I continued to compare the open sighted HW50S .20 with the cutaway Minelli stock. Here are remarks when comparing the HW50S .20 with the rifles I shot yesterday and today pretty much "all day" since weather here is warm and cozy!

HW98 .20: Same pellets I use with the HW50S .20: JSB Exact 13.73gr: Inside 35 yards and if the light is good the open sighted HW50S .20 is just as accurate as my scoped and ZR mounted HW98 .20 with a Vortex Diamondback variable and side focus parallax. Beyond 35 yards I already know I need a scope shooting at squirrels--to make sure--and as far as the targets are concerned they get whacked at one and a half inches in diameter.

HW80 .20: This rifle uses the 15.98 or so gr heavy JSB .20s for now--I can focus it back to the regular pellets (13.73gr) but once I decided to keep this focused for 15.98gr HEAVY .20 JSB I left the zero there: It is as accurate as the HW98 .20 with more power; and it is louder. This rifle compares to the strength offered in the D48 "on wheels" in the configuration of the D54 LW .20 I also shot yesterday but not today--yet (this gun is always dead center at 35 yards with the TO6 trigger refined by the smith who put the rifle together: the

D54 .20: Ordered by me and smithed by Hector, a representative of Diana among many other interesting titles you would not believe (like a Physicist in the highest degree):

This is a "dangerous" gun I have to say to anyone who sees it and holds it and decides to shoot it. For real because for all intensive purposes it is like a .22LR in impact downrange than any other air rifle I know with the built in rail stock to let the gun shoot straight without excess vibration. It is the only rifle in air I'd trust to take one shot with at a range over 35 yards. To me 40 yards is asking two things in a springer: accuracy and velocity to maintain the accuracy downrange.

So the HW50S .20 on a bright day to use open sights will provide me with the precision to do field targets and at the same time squirrels at up to 40 yards. I'd say I have the confidence in this one. By the way the serial number is 2325025 on my own HW50 .20. I noticed jusanotherjoe posted he was the requestor to AOA to run a batch of these.

Thank you for doing so and I am a follower of this rifle. It is still "my favorite" rifle. I have others but this one always pleases me at the 40 yard or so level--which is the limit I have in the back to shoot anyway!

It's been a month of owning this and it still continues to surprise me.

It's in a corner and I grab it and shoot it and I am pleased with it whether after one or many shots. This morning I took it out for 50 pellets and after that was done I felt I could do more but why? The only thing I am needing to "test" on this rifle is how long it shoots this way until it breaks down.....😁