HW50S .177cal Vortek HO tune review

A month ago I bought an HW50S 22cal from Tom at Vortek to tune with the SHO tune kit. That got me interested in tuning the .177cal version with the standard HO kit just to see what it would do. I installed the HO kit with Vortek piston seal. The only other thing I did, which always seems to help is smooth out all the sharp edges with my Dremel before installing the piston seal. As you can see below the 10 shot chronograph with the Daystate Hunter 10.3 is very impressive for a springer. This is the newer version as you can see from the stock and it is thinner on the sides as well. It is a little jumpy but way better than stock, which had considerable vibration. The cocking effort is about the same as an HW95. The advantage of the HW50S in my opinion has always been that it is a lightweight gun. 

I don't know if this helps anyone but this is info I used to look for myself, but below is a sample if what kind of accuracy one can expect from this tune. 

Here is the velocity:

H&N Baracuda Green 6.64 grains @ 958 fps (13.53 foot pounds)

Predator GTO 6.79 grains @ 956 fps (13.78 foot pounds)

H&N FTT Green 5.56 grains @ 1043 fps (13.48 foot pounds)

JSB 7.33 grains @ 876 fps (12.49 foot pounds)

Air Arms 7.87 @ 849 fps (12.6 foot pounds)

Crosman Premier HP 7.9 @ 839 fps (12.35 foot pounds)

JSB 8.44 @ 812 fps (12.36 foot pounds)

H&N Baracuda FT 9.57 @ 756 fps (12.15 foot pounds)

Daystate Hunter 10.3 @ 722 fps (11.93 foot pounds)

Daystate Hunter 10 shot chronograph

1) 723

2) 720

3) 720

4) 720

5) 722

6) 722

7( 725

8) 720

9) 722

10) 723

IMG_0709.1619486859.jpeg

IMG_0711.1619486874.jpeg

These groups are at 25 yards from bag rest

IMG_0710.1619486884.jpeg

IMG_0712.1619486894.jpeg

IMG_0713.1619486904.jpeg

Thanks for posting this. I bought the 50 about a month ago and have been happy with the accuracy and shot cycle. I've put a tin of pellets through it and was hoping the spring twang would diminish, but it hasn't. I've decided to get the Vortek kit to get rid of the twang.

It's been a long time since I tore down an air rifle. I put a V-Mach kit in my TX200 and did a lube tune on a Slavia 631, both easy rifles to work on.

I checked out the video from 2lbsTirgrPull on HW50 Takedown and I realize he is working with a non-FAC model, but I'm wondering if a spring compressor is needed for our FAC models? I recently bought the Air Venturi Rail Lock spring compressor, but not sure how well that would work with having to twist those bayonet lugs out of their slots. Seems like the way 2lb did it would be easier and quicker and I notice the Vortek description says " no pre-load force on assembly ".

What was your experience? Thanks

Thanks for posting this. I bought the 50 about a month ago and have been happy with the accuracy and shot cycle. I've put a tin of pellets through it and was hoping the spring twang would diminish, but it hasn't. I've decided to get the Vortek kit to get rid of the twang.

It's been a long time since I tore down an air rifle. I put a V-Mach kit in my TX200 and did a lube tune on a Slavia 631, both easy rifles to work on.

I checked out the video from 2lbsTirgrPull on HW50 Takedown and I realize he is working with a non-FAC model, but I'm wondering if a spring compressor is needed for our FAC models? I recently bought the Air Venturi Rail Lock spring compressor, but not sure how well that would work with having to twist those bayonet lugs out of their slots. Seems like the way 2lb did it would be easier and quicker and I notice the Vortek description says " no pre-load force on assembly ".

What was your experience? Thanks

Ok, I watched the video that referred to on Youtube and that is pretty much the same way I do except for a few things. I used to use an old piston seal to put it back in but it will be more difficult on an HW50S with a Vortek spring. If you have the compressor you will have no problem, and may not either way. I have the Air Venturi compressor and have used it at least 10 times that I can think of. As you can see on the video the "Bayonet lugs" come out even before trying to take the spring out. They way he did it on the video is the right way to do it before taking the spring out. I usually put them back in before trying to put the trigger back in. You should be set to go. 

@Jlowe, I've been reading with interest about your HW50S / Vortek tuning and I'd like to get your opinion on my situation.

I have a new HW50S .177 and plan to install a Vortek kit in it shortly. The kit I received from Vortek is an 'SHO' kit (not 'HO') and I've been reading that this SHO kit has a thicker spring wire than the comparable HO kit. Based on your experience with both kits, can still use this SHO kit in a .177 HW50S without any issues?

Thanks in advance for any advice, your HW50S posts have been enjoyable to read!

Check post #10 in this thread; I attached a photo of the kit I received.