HW50 vs HW95 cocking difficulty

Hey guys,

With help from the folks here, I ended up getting a HW50 for squirrel hunting. My dad needs one as well, but doesn’t have to worry about noise or over-penetration nearly as much as I do (he is on 5 acres).

I was thinking about purchasing him a HW95, but he’s 76 yrs old and I’m worried that cocking the gun will be a bit difficult for him. How does the HE95 compare to the HW50 in this respect?

thank you

Reactions: miksatx
1594145811_1184326135f04bc13d0ebf3.34203758.png
Sniff sniff sniff... I smell a FART! MIKE!!!

There seems to have added leverage on the R9/HW95 due to the longer barrel. I have both and the HW95 should be manageable if cocked against a knee-thigh if the person is weak. If you can find a Chinese clone that's what I grab before the real thing and I have them both as well. Best $125 I have ever spent on a springer with a thumhole stock that shoots almost as nice that feels easier to cock with a not so shiny matte (Diana 56th-ish) finish that you probably won't mind if it got all beat up with use. This was a while ago and I'm not sure what the current Chinese HW95 clone model designation is.

There seems to have added leverage on the R9/HW95 due to the longer barrel. I have both and the HW95 should be manageable if cocked against a knee-thigh if the person is weak. If you can find a Chinese clone that's what I grab before the real thing and I have them both as well. Best $125 I have ever spent on a springer with a thumhole stock that shoots almost as nice that feels easier to cock with a not so shiny matte (Diana 56th-ish) finish that you probably won't mind if it got all beat up with use. This was a while ago and I'm not sure what the current Chinese HW95 clone model designation is.

is the HW 95 made in China now ?

is the HW 95 made in China now ?

The CHEAP CLONE IS (OR WAS?). THE REAL DEAL IS MADE IN GERMANY.

If your father lives close to you why don’t you lend him your HW50 and give him a tin of pellets for a week. He will know if he wants one after a week of shooting.

Gary

He’s already shot it and knows that he likes it, but I’ve gotten the general impression here that the HW95 is a better rifle for squirrel hunting, with the increased fps and accuracy. He’s not as good of a shot as I am, so I was hoping that the increased fps/fpe would benefit him.

I would have purchased the HW95 myself if not for the need for a quieter rifle with less chance of over penetration.

I’m also on full-time squirrel duty here, so I couldn’t handle being without my rifle for a week. :p

Settle the whole thing and get anView attachment 100985 FWB124D. Mine only takes about 18 LBS. to cock. That is on the same level as a HW30, but a lot more velocity. I bought this one in 1979, and with a new spring and seals, works great.
This or a new sport. I will be 77 in another month and just got a new FWB Sport. Initially it was a little hard to brake over to cock but with a dab of moly grease and oil on the locking divot and pivot points it is easy now. Factory open sight is the best I have seen on an airgun, Sights are positioned just right to be in focus for my old eyes which had cataract surgery last year. I also like my HW 35e equipped with diopter sights, that super long barrel really makes it easy to cock.

He’s already shot it and knows that he likes it, but I’ve gotten the general impression here that the HW95 is a better rifle for squirrel hunting, with the increased fps and accuracy. He’s not as good of a shot as I am, so I was hoping that the increased fps/fpe would benefit him.

I would have purchased the HW95 myself if not for the need for a quieter rifle with less chance of over penetration.

I’m also on full-time squirrel duty here, so I couldn’t handle being without my rifle for a week. :p

Increased power won’t help if your dad can’t shoot the gun accurately. The increased weight and power of the hw95 will make it harder to shoot accurately compared with your hw50s. An hw50s tuned to 10fpe would be easy to cock, light and easier to shoot accurately for your dad. That is plenty of power for squirrels out to 35 yards.
R

Reactions: Mycapt65