• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW45 Black Star

Picked up a new pistol from AoA last week. Definitely very hold sensitive, everything has to be perfect. Cannot rest on a bag, has to be held with both hands with an improved artillery hold. The trigger pull is very smooth, typical Weihrauch break. I have about a tin of pellets through it now. So far it likes the H&N FTT 8.64's the most. The power output is right around 5 fpe and it is getting smoother. Great pistol and really puts holes in cans. Blows through both sides of a bean can at 19 yards.

IMG_1793.jpeg

Hmmm.. i could almost bet that youll get over it and fully enjoy the pistol ..

If not you could always gift ot to me . Ill get over it easy and fast... Real fast. 👍
I had the HW45 BS on order with AoA for a long time, I think October / November of last year. They do not come around very often and used pistols are usually more expensive than new, go figure.

The pistol eats pellets and is surprisingly easy to cock. Use the palm of your hand and a thigh to a full extension and enjoy the ear candy. Not the easiest pistol to shoot but very rewarding.

Was hitting one and two inch steel spinners and cans at 19 yards. The open sights work very well out to 30 yards.

Great pistol but a beast compared to an SSP.

Fun ain’t it? Love the target grips on the Star editions. Shot mine a little today just showing my dad. Jealous you can use the stock sights. My old eyes forced me into a RD.
The fiber optics are the only reason I can use the open sights. That and the target grips make the pistol a shooter. I tried to use the regular sights on the HW75 and had to mount a RD to hit anything past eight yards.

No cheaten... Normal two handed grip, one over the other.
Had to modify my grip a little to fit my hand. The dot sight helps me see the target well, stinks getting old.

1688394146446.jpeg

Mike

P.S. - I DO... like the all black version better, but it wasn't available at the time. I chickened out and bought this one...just in case the black version either would go way up in price, or, no longer be available.

Last edited:
The fiber optics are the only reason I can use the open sights. That and the target grips make the pistol a shooter. I tried to use the regular sights on the HW75 and had to mount a RD to hit anything past eight yards.
Ahh. Mine is a 2005 so no fiber optics. Less jealous of your eyesight now ha ha ha.

Shot string from the mighty HW45. Quite the hand cannon now that I have it broken in.
View attachment 369893
Right where mine runs in .22. Which means it’s probably better in .177. Like to see what the data looks like at 10M. When the weather cools off LOL. Remarkably consistent little buggers ain’t they?

Reactions: maxtrouble
Right where mine runs in .22. Which means it’s probably better in .177. Like to see what the data looks like at 10M. When the weather cools off LOL. Remarkably consistent little buggers ain’t they?
.22 is probably a better choice for pesting, must hit like a freight train. The HW45 is definitely NOT a target pistol. Best I can do is two inch groups at 19 yards. Plenty for pigeons and starlings.

.22 is probably a better choice for pesting, must hit like a freight train. The HW45 is definitely NOT a target pistol. Best I can do is two inch groups at 19 yards. Plenty for pigeons and starlings.
Carries some energy down range for sure. Can plinking distance is about 13-15 yards depending where we sit in drive. I like when the ends are turned at me because it kicks the can about 10’! If that water moccasin shows up in my well house again I’ll let you know how it is for pesting. Saw one in there yesterday but didn‘t have airgun with me.

Reactions: Bubbacop
I consider handgunning one of the most difficult of the shooting disciplines to master, spring-piston guns the most difficult of guns to master, so (non-recoilless) spring-piston pistols THE hardest challenge in shooting.🤬 That true, they're also fascinating... in a decidedly masochistic way. At least the Weihrauchs have good triggers and are nice quality. Nevertheless I decided against a P-1 for small game hunting as not conducive to the brain shots called for by only 5 foot pounds of .177 to make it humanely possible.

I also wasted a LOT of time and frustration attempting to master a Webley Tempest enough to use in silhouette competition; but finally realized it isn't humanly possible.

My first Crosman 150 changed all that (above) forever.

I consider handgunning one of the most difficult of the shooting disciplines to master, spring-piston guns the most difficult of guns to master, so (non-recoilless) spring-piston pistols THE hardest challenge in shooting.🤬 That true, they're also fascinating... in a decidedly masochistic way. At least the Weihrauchs have good triggers and are nice quality. Nevertheless I decided against a P-1 for small game hunting as not conducive to the brain shots called for by only 5 foot pounds of .177 to make it humanely possible.

I also wasted a LOT of time and frustration attempting to master a Webley Tempest enough to use in silhouette competition; but finally realized it isn't humanly possible.

My first Crosman 150 changed all that (above) forever.
Ha ha ha. 100% agree with the above. I’ve had a blast trying to “master” this gun. Can consistently hit 1.5” target from 15 yards so from the 5-8 yards I’ll be from the snake it ain’t gonna end well for him. I need low power because we have pipes running to the house, sprinkler, and the trough in the pasture so I can’t risk anything bouncing around in there. So dang hot I had two 2240XLs valve lock yesterday so HW45 is first choice. Hopefully we get some rain and canal in pasture fills up and he slithers back where he belongs.

Last year I had a small gator in my garage 2 days before July 4 and on the 4th I took out a moccasin in one of our gardens. Rarely see them in the yard, but gets hot and dry this time of year and they come looking for water. City folks won’t understand LOL.

Spent some more trigger time with the HW45 today. Very fun hand cannon shooting cans and spinners. The small platform was great today because it was raining most of the time.

Tried dispatching a red squirrel today with the HW45 and I was not successful. The squirrel was moving (no bait) and it was raining. Two shots missed and the opportunity was gone. Ninja squirrel on the last shot.

I have about three tins of pellets through the pistol now. Very fun garden hand cannon. Will work for pesting in a pinch but the HW44 will out shoot the HW45 every time.

I still think everyone should have a HW45, they are a hoot to shoot. Pure German steampunk.

Airandgasman....I hear you in regard of the difficulty in trying to maintain 1 inch group territory at anything above 10 yards with the rear moving piston. I have managed it successfully with break barrel pistols (forward moving) and the LP53 (upward moving) but the Tempest (rear moving) tests every ounce of skill of the pistol marksman and still manages to fail more often than not.
With this in mind, I tried to pin it down with exhaustive testing, alongside of major tuning.

The idea of rear moving piston must have seemed like a good idea in the 80s with the recoil straight back into the palm, but it don't work out like you might think.....because It creates a pivot inertia just ahead of the hand position ....in irony, a reaction to the grip position being below the piston movement...creating a nudge downward.

You can go the direction of fitting Acetal guides and top hats to improve on resonance issues, but I found it does not improve the accuracy, even if it fools many to believe it might because it feels less twangy....
Deeper testing revealed To me that this pivot point inertia is NOT impacted by such mods..because it's the piston that is causing it.

In the case of the 45 I went for maximum velocity tuning and highest velocity pellets to get the pellets out the gun quicker....it works mildly..

Reactions: AirNGasman