HW44 - Just as fun in the dark!

download.png

Impressed with that steady hold!

I really like the pistol; I am on the fence with the HW44, and the RexiMex RP....

Thanks FelixS!

The HW44 is very accurate, quiet, and has an excellent trigger. It also has a slight muzzle flip that makes shooting it fun! I have really enjoyed it. It has also put the hurt on a few chipmunks. Mine is in 22 and is very accurate with the 22 Hades pellets. I think it is my only airgun that I have not done a single modification. It's that good from the factory!

I like that it comes stock with a picatinny rail on top and bottom. I mounted a Holosun red dot up top and an IR illuminator on the bottom. It makes for a pretty lightweight and fun night shooting setup with my night vision goggles.

I have an HW44 in .22 caliber as well. I really like it. Like you, I tried a laser sight on the bottom rail as well. If I zeroed the laser to shoot at 25 yards then up close I really have to aim low.

In other words, I would need to put the laser dot well underneath the intended target. That was so counter-intuitive for me that I gave up on the idea and just have a red-dot on top and a regular light on the bottom.

I used a red marking pen to color the lens on the light for rodent eradication at night. That modification hasn't been tried yet.

HW44 2.1641222337.jpg

HW44 Soup Cans 50 Yards.1641222376.jpg

Steelontarget,

I like your HW44 as well! I bet you had fun destroying those cans.

Our setup is actually very similar except for the use of visible light. What looks like a laser in the video is actually a Holosun red dot sight as viewed through nightvision.

When the night vision is focused on the target, you do not see the housing of the red dot as it is out of focus. The red dot is on a NV setting and not visible to the naked eye but as you see shows up well under night vision. I agree though, it looks a lot like a laser on the video!

My Kiji illuminator is basically an infrared flashlight that is only visible under night vision. The night I filmed the short clip it was cloudy, no moon, and actually pitch dark. I was playing with some of the diffused, low intensity settings on the Kiji with the HW44 to add supplemental infrared light. It worked well.

The helmet and goggles look rather heavy but are balanced well. The goggles have Gen 3 WP tubes and are a lot of fun to look through. The stars are beautiful under NV! My recorder does an OK job of showing what it looks like but it is more impressive with the naked eye.

38DA7CAC-E869-48BD-9463-B34246505396.1641502826.jpeg

9E4F6D6A-C870-40D2-A7A7-E5FD8349355F.1641502826.jpeg

Steelontarget,

I like your HW44 as well! I bet you had fun destroying those cans.

Our setup is actually very similar except for the use of visible light. What looks like a laser in the video is actually a Holosun red dot sight as viewed through nightvision.

When the night vision is focused on the target, you do not see the housing of the red dot as it is out of focus. The red dot is on a NV setting and not visible to the naked eye but as you see shows up well under night vision. I agree though, it looks a lot like a laser on the video!

My Kiji illuminator is basically an infrared flashlight that is only visible under night vision. The night I filmed the short clip it was cloudy, no moon, and actually pitch dark. I was playing with some of the diffused, low intensity settings on the Kiji with the HW44 to add supplemental infrared light. It worked well.

The helmet and goggles look rather heavy but are balanced well. The goggles have Gen 3 WP tubes and are a lot of fun to look through. The stars are beautiful under NV! My recorder does an OK job of showing what it looks like but it is more impressive with the naked eye.

38DA7CAC-E869-48BD-9463-B34246505396.1641502826.jpeg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

9E4F6D6A-C870-40D2-A7A7-E5FD8349355F.1641502826.jpeg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Your setup has me drooling! I've taken the dip into the thermal vision world with a Burris thermal monocular and a couple of Burris thermal scopes.

I don't have night vision yet. However, I have a couple of powder burners with Eotech sights that are night vision compatible.

I have an eye on a Holosun reflex sight with a green dot. Are all Holosun red dot sights night vision compatable or just some?

Do you have a link to your Holosun sight?

I'd also be interested in more information about your night vision goggles and helmet?

Thanks Steelontarget!

Sounds like you like you have a nice thermal setup! The night vision compliments thermal especially for navigation, better spatial awareness (easier to judge distance), a larger field of view compared to most thermal scopes, and is pretty quick with a laser and/or red dot/eotech. Your Eotech sights are probably the best for unmagnified, passive aiming under night vision. I use one on a 300 BLK AR and like it. I will include a pic (poor image quality, sorry) to give you an idea what it looks like. I used it in the dark at 100 yards with 300 blk subsonic last week on 6 inch plates, shooting off the side of a hay bale, and never missed a plate with it.

I am no expert on Holosun products. I only have the one sight. It is the model 508T X2 Red Dot Sight. I do have a couple RMRs that also work well. I will include a pic of what it looks like. If you have Night sights they can be used but work best with a monocular over your left eye or rotating your right eye goggle up. The pic shows what they look like under night vision. The night sights are the large out of focus circles below the red dot that is visible. If I rotate up my right eye device, I can see the night sight clearly and my left eye sees in the dark. Your brain transposes the images and it works OK. You can also do the same if you leave a red dot sight on daytime mode and view it with your unaided eye. This is for someone right eye and right hand dominant. With goggles, it works best just to use a red dot and keep both eyes aided with NV.

A laser is different than an optic, as you mentioned. It is, however, very useful and quick on a carbine setup. For the 25-100 yard range, the laser is probably the best option for NV. The Eotech on a riser also works well but is a little awkward since the NV housing sticks several inches away from your face. I have included a pic of what the laser looks like under NV as it "blooms" on a reflective target. This is another reason why most lasers also use an illuminator. It decreases the bloom so that you have a defined aiming point (as well as increase the brightness of the setting under NV). The lower the halo rating of a NV optic, the smaller the bloom circle.

I have L3 1531 goggles, Wilcox G24 mount, and an Ops-Core carbon helmet.

I am no expert and am still new to NV myself but sharing a bit of what I have learned along the way. Should you decide to add NV to your thermal setup, I think you will like it!

ToKeepAndBear, you convinced me to get a Holosun sight. I got the one with the green dot and it is night vision compatible. I did not have time to take it to the range and sight it in at 25 yards. However, I got a preliminary work out with it in my house. I can only shoot to 6 yards in the living room. 

So at that distance, the pellet will impact an inch below the point of aim for a 25 yard zero. So I have to put the dot an inch high if I expect a CQB with a mouse or a rat at 6 yards.

The targets on the left were shot sitting with both hands rested on my knee. The targets on the right were shot with both hands unsupported.

I only need to mow a few more lawns, wash a few more cars and keep my grades up then I might be able to get a pair of NV goggles with helmet:)

HW44 With Holosun Sight.1641777185.jpg

I don't have the HW44 or the Reximex RP. I've been interested in the HW44 for some time, as long as the suppressor can be removed because I don't like the length it adds. I had never heard of Reximex RP so I looked it up. Looks like a lot of difference in FPS with the Reximex at 540 in .22 and the HW44 700. At least according to the spec sheets? That would make the 44 a no-brainer for me. 

Alas, I completely sold off all my PCP guns and fill equipment in 2021; compressor, carbon tank, and even the hand pump which I used for a pistol. I'd have to buy that pump again if I got the HW44. 

I'm having fun with Diana Airbug and Crosman 2300s at the moment. Not near as much power, but surprisingly accurate on CO2.

The suppressor can be removed. It is simply unscrewed from the muzzle. However, I would not advise it.

Unless you can screw something on the threads on the muzzle, you will risk damaging or scratching them. In other words, without the suppressor attached you will need a thread protector.

Yes it's an extremely expensive pistol and likely to be coddled by the owner. However, accidents can happen. It might be a costly and time consuming fix to get the threads repaired or the threaded part replaced.

The suppressor is so light that when pointing the pistol you don't realize it is there.

I also have a small collection of CO2 pistols which are extremely fun and very accurate. However, they are prone to suffer in cold weather as you very well may know.

The HW44 doesn't have the same problem in cold weather.

You will have to get an air pump all over again. However, the enjoyment that you get from shooting the HW44 is well worth it.

If you know someone that is close by who has an HW44 ask to shoot it. You will not want to put it down.

My preference is for the .22 caliber but must admit that if Uncle Sam doesn't take too much in taxes from me, I might get one in .177 caliber.