HW35E vs HW50S

The HW35 is great if you want a soft-shooting, full-size gun. An HW50 can produce similar power of +12 fpe and is much lighter. 

For me, I prefer a HW95, HW97 or R1 (HW80) when I want power, so the HW50 never interested me.

I have two HW35's: a very well tuned .177 that makes about 9fpe (this is a joy to shoot!), and a recently acquired .22 that was making a very surprising 13+ fpe out of the box (that's after a full tin, no dieseling). I had it tuned with a custom guide but left the factory spring in it, and now it's making an astonishing 13.5fpe with JSB 14.3 and 14.1 fpe with FTT. It shoots nicely, but 1) that's not typical power for these guns and 2) it's not what I wanted. I plan on cutting the spring down or swapping it out, with the goal of getting down around 10.5-11.5 fpe. At that level, these are very nice shooters.

I have both. If going to use hunting and walking threw woods my choice is the 50S . Lighter easier handling. Some mention increased cocking effort but not an issue with me. I dropped mine in a nice JM walnut stock. HW 35 is a beautiful shooting gun but if had only to choose 1 it would be the HW50S . JMO. Mike
I have been considering purchasing a hw35e but I may not like as much as my detuned hw50s

I had a HW50 in .22. then purchased the HW35E in .177.

The HW35E feels like a powder buner rifle, the HW50 felt like a pellet rifle. ;-) The 50 is light weight, yes, but the 35 is more stable off hand. 50 was more harsh to shoot and harder to cock which is not really a concern but it is a factor. The 50 in .22 had poor velocity at my elevation of 2900 feet. The 35 in .177 was noticeably faster to the target. The elevation doesn't affect the .177 much.

To each his own, they both shoot well. Both deadly on the tree rats. I just enjoyed the feel of the 35 and sold the 50.

I say get both and decide.

I was in the same position a few months ago. I went with the hw35e. Extremely well made rifle. The fit and finish rival my finest centerfires. It’s a steal at the price Krale sells them for.
Best deal in a springer made today. However, Krale just raised their prices. I’m sure it came directly from Weihrauch.

I recently got the HW50S in .177 I find it to be a a great rifle to carry, it is super accurate and I don't find it hard to cock, nor is it noisy. It's the only Weihrauch I've ever owned so I don't have an opinion on others. I stuck a cheap scope on it today and lined it up. It hits where you aim it out to 35 yrds., I haven't tried it past that yet.

This comparison has been beat to death. The 35E is the same power and two pounds heavier. I personally find the 35 out dated and pointless. That's me. If you like slogging an extra two pounds around and taking an extra step to open and close the barrel, go ahead buy the 35. I'm only 57 year's old and prefer a more modern looking rifle that's considerably lighter. There's no difference in accuracy

Reactions: Ievgen721 and PEP3
I have a Beeman R-7 (HW-30), a Beeman R-9 (HW-95, and a HW-80 K (R-1), and a close friend owns a HW-35, and a HW-50, my R-7 is .177 cal., the R-9 is .22 cal., The HW-80 K is a .20 cal. (5mm), the friend's HW-35 and HW-50 are in .22 cal., I love all of my air rifles for different shooting conditions, in my opinion there's not enough difference in power between the HW-35 and R-7 to make either an all around hunting gun.
The HW-50 is just a bit bigger than the HW-30 and 100fps faster, the HW-35L has more FPE but is just a bit too heavy and allot too pretty to take into the woods hunting, the same goes for my HW-80K, it's allot more powerful, is super accurate, but weighs a bit over 10 pounds with scope, IMHO out of all of them my favorite all around backyard plinking/ small game getter is the R-9/HW-95 in .22 cal., it has plenty of FPE, is as accurate as the others, is lighter than the HW-35 or HW-80, it smooth coCking, smooth shooting, and it is not much bigger than HW-30.

As has been mentioned Krales has gone up on their pricing and their shipping cost to the USA is about $50.00 on average, which puts it on a par price wise with P/A or AGD, another consideration is warrantee, Weirauch's warrantee is limited one year, Beeman's warrantee is limited lifetime, big difference.
If your new gun arrives damaged or faulty from Krales, do you return it to Krales in the Netherlands, Weirauch in Germany, the stateside venders give you a 60 day return option and a fee shipping return label.

Just something to ponder.

Last edited:
This comparison has been beat to death. The 35E is the same power and two pounds heavier. I personally find the 35 out dated and pointless. That's me. If you like slogging an extra two pounds around and taking an extra step to open and close the barrel, go ahead buy the 35. I'm only 57 year's old and prefer a more modern looking rifle that's considerably lighter. There's no difference in accuracy
Two pounds is a lot. Easy choice for me.

As a kid in the 70s, I always wanted a HW 35, Just a beautiful gun. Prettier than my 124D. Got a HW 35E with vortex spring. However having problems with it now discussed on another thread. Agree, just to beautiful to drag it out in the field. Just a classic airgun that is fun to look at, handle and shoot. When I go in the field for a long time, I either take my Crossman 140 like I use to as a kid. If I need more killing power, I take my RWS 350. Finally learning to shoot it well.

I like my recently purchased my HW50S, however I'm now kicking myself for getting it in .177, I wish I'd have followed my first instinct which was to go with .22, I find the .177 too susceptible to influence by the wind. At the price point of the Weihrauch rifles when viewed from my wallet I don't anticipate buying many of these rifles.
I live in a wind tunnel also. Right on the Gulf of Mexico. I prefer 22 caliber here. You can get a 22 caliber barrel for it.