HW35E .22 - New rifle chrono

Received an HW35E in .22 cal few days back. Gathered up the new out of box chrono numbers on the pellets I keep around. Out of box, pivot bolt needed about 1/8th turn to tighten, forestock bolt the same and the bolts on trigger guard were pretty snug. First shot through sounded pretty smooth enough. Couple early shots gave a bit of buzz. Started with the AA 16gr and got an idea of how it sounded and then changed up pellets for a comparison. Each brand/weight pellet sounded just a bit different. Overall though there was a change toward the springer "doomp" sound. Seemed to quiet down as well. No aroma of gross dieseling, only occasional wafts when break open the breech. Chose the dot on post front sight and v-notch rear and can do alright at 20YD with some inchish-groups (FX 18s, AA 16s). At 25YD opens way up. My eyes won't let me do that too long, so tried a couple scopes, a Bugbustah and a springer-rated Optisan. Meh, accuracy wasn't really warranting that treatment so back to irons. Did get a Mynah at 25YD using the fat front post, and will take that as a lucky shot.

At present I have a few questions of the community about this rifle.

What was length of run-in for your new, not tuned, HW35Es? Number pellets?

What are the long term consequences of shooting the heavier 18.1gr pellets versus a 14-16gr pellet? (recent post)

The choke on this barrel seems pretty aggressive, is that right?

ATB, Mark

I got mine in last week too and pretty much immediately took it apart because it wouldn't group to save it's life and my chrono numbers looked pretty similar. The spring ends were pretty badly done and the cut out it the tube had a pretty nasty bur that was marking the heck out of piston. After giving everything a good polish, bore pasting the barrel, and re-lubing she has become a tack driver. I have about 500 shots through mine now.

This was with 14.66gr FTTs (5.54 head size)

Screenshot_20211111-225420_FX Radar.1637064610.jpg

Screenshot_20211111-225520_FX Radar.1637064627.jpg

GROUPS BEFORE CLEAN AND POLISH:

20211111_191004.1637065393.jpg

GROUPS AFTER (SORRY ONLY PIC I HAVE AT THE MOMENT)

20211113_170736.1637065471.jpg

These are all 5 shot groups at 35 yards with 5.54 FTTs. The top group was my first group and I thought I was missing the target so took that sighter to the right. To my surprise, the gun was officially putting pellets on top of each other. The real kicker is that the recoil impulse has changed drastically. Prior to my little "tune" the gun had a habit of kicking up and right when fired. Now it's on a dead forward and back line. This gun is quickly becoming my favorite now.

Generally lacking the aptitude to tear right into a gun, gave attention to the sound of the rifle cycling. The only thing of concern right off was how the cocking shoe sounded when closing up the breech. Didn't sound so smooth, but cleared up pretty quick. Shot a lot of these Daisy PMAXHPs cause cheap, and were landing on a 6" plate at 40YD, so satisfied for the time being. 

What is the amount of pre-load on the spring? Can the tube be opened by hand with no surprises, or should I go with a couple pony clamps?

Generally lacking the aptitude to tear right into a gun, gave attention to the sound of the rifle cycling. The only thing of concern right off was how the cocking shoe sounded when closing up the breech. Didn't sound so smooth, but cleared up pretty quick. Shot a lot of these Daisy PMAXHPs cause cheap, and were landing on a 6" plate at 40YD, so satisfied for the time being. 

What is the amount of pre-load on the spring? Can the tube be opened by hand with no surprises, or should I go with a couple pony clamps?

There is definitely some preload but it isn't crazy. I've done all of my guns without compressors including my HO 97K, which is definitely more. Wear Mechanix gloves and hold pressure down while turning the end cap off all while pointing the end cap away from your face (just in case). When you see the cap is down to the last couple threads, grip it tight and get ready for it. If you have the ability to make a compressor and are at all unsure, I would definitely recommend it. Taking a spring loaded chunk of metal to the eye will definitely ruin your day. 

There are several tutorials on YouTube about dissambly of this gun. The HW97K has the same style of end cap, so removal videos for that will work as well.

Sqwirlfugger57

...There are several tutorials on YouTube about dissambly of this gun. The HW97K has the same style of end cap, so removal videos for that will work as well.

Yeah the YTs I viewed, particularly in re the HW35E, those guys just opened by hand. Just wanted to source a confirmation elsewhere (here). It's the decompressing part think I am wary of. Will be pulling the breech block, degrease and moly the pivot, as does sound kinda "dry". 

Mine is a 177. It was accurate right out of the box. Not pellet fussy and loved JSB Exact 8.4. I just couldn't do a .22cal 12ftlb rifle shooting 600fps. The HW35's take awhile to master. They are not an HW30 or even HW50 which you can shoot right off the bat like you owned it for a year. They are jumpy with that short spring.

The stock springs on the HW35E's from the factory suck in several ways to be blunt. They all have a twang. I took mine apart too and cleaned everything with break cleaner, burnished the metaland, put better lube and the right amount. It helped some but those springs are terrible. The short compact stroke on these guns makes it critical to have a real quality spring that is properly deburred, smoothed and lubed etc. I tossed my spring and replaced with a Macarri spring and Vortek seal. It was an entirely different gun. 

The Macarri spring got me JSB Exact 8.4gr 737 to 751fps (10.35ftlbs) (This is a WAY better spring.) Smooth and a complete dead thud. Macarri knows the unique HW35. If you do anything to the HW35E get this spring. I played with a Vortek spring which got it over 820fps but just was not smooth enough for me. Felt more like an R9.

Mine is a 177. It was accurate right out of the box. Not pellet fussy and loved JSB Exact 8.4. I really struggle to understand why people want a .22cal 12ftlb rifle shooting 600fps.

The HW35's take awhile to master. They are not an HW30 or even HW50 which you can shoot right off the bat like you owned it for a year. They are jumpy with that short spring.

The stock springs on the HW35E's from the factory suck in several ways to be blunt. They all have a twang. I took mine apart too and cleaned everything with break cleaner, burnished the metaland, put better lube and the right amount. It helped some but those springs are terrible. The short compact stroke on these guns makes it critical to have a real quality spring that is properly deburred, smoothed and lubed etc. I tossed my spring and replaced with a Macarri spring and Vortek seal. It was an entirely different gun. 

The Macarri spring got me JSB Exact 8.4gr 737 to 751fps (10.35ftlbs) (This is a WAY better spring.) Smooth and a complete dead thud. Macarri knows the unique HW35. If you do anything to the HW35E get this spring. 

My stock was also dry as dirt and needed some attention. I refinished it.

Bexcuse those people have too many .177s already and a 12ftlb .22 makes for a fun added challenge. 

Caught a brief round with the 35 at 16YD. Sighters at top row and 3 each to the 1" target dots. Definitely gonna have to scope this rifle, but hey I shot bottle caps at 20YD with...much trepidation. All one shot hits, but yeah eyesight not what used to be. Shot over a rolled up towel for a rest.

I don't feel like I have any issues with my hold on this rifle, am not a death grip shooter, not a free recoiler, just somewhere in between. Been a while since shot open sights, so practice still in order.

IMG_9674sm.1637200045.jpg

IMG_9676sm.1637200059.jpg

IMG_9679sm.1637200069.jpg

Order 2+ tins of these and get free shipping. Im willing to bet you are very happy with the results.

https://www.fieldsupply.com/h-n-field-target-trophy-22-ca-14-66gr-5-54mm-pellets.html

I will circle back around to the FTTs on your recommend. What I have are 5.54s and was getting 638FPS, but the fit in the breech was crazy tight. Hunter Extremes and the 'cuda Match didn't group so great. Not averse to stacking HN tins if the pellet is good.

Anyway, Field Supply doesn't ship out to the colonies. 

Only free shipping on ammo, or anything gun related, was with Baker Airguns, and that only because, well, the Baker boys ROCK.

Field Supply Shipping Policies

cannot ship to APOs, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or any US territory outside of the continuous 48 states

Those Crimson Trace scopes Yo'Doyle was hyping earlier this year...similar thing. Had Mudway on the phone begging them to open the box and remove the CR2032 standard OEM installed battery before shipping, and they wouldn't because it would then become an open-box scope, used product. Why was I asking them to remove the battery? Because they would not ship the scope with the CR2032 standard OEM battery installed.

I don't spend a lot of time on the classifieds here because a majority of the ads have similar shipping restrictions. 

I always try to see if I can get lucky, and find a really good springer that doesn’t need to be torn apart. I’ve had lots of both tuned piston rifles and factory piston rifles. I don’t have them tuned if they shoot really good from the factory…I would rather spend that money on another rifle.

Plus, because yours is a 22, I think it will tend to shoot smoother with whatever spring it has. I have an old time 17 35, and it has a bit of recoil.

mike

Always fun to test out a new toy, especially a springer.