• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW35 v. HW30 For Irons

For a dedicated iron sights rifle, as between the 35 and 30 for position shooting, which would you choose?

I have the hw35 and like shooting it with a scope and also with aperture sights. I just shoot bullseye targets from offhand, kneeling, sitting and prone for fun, we are not talking serious competition here. Trying to decide if it would be worth it to get a 30 for irons and stop switching between irons and scope for the 35 but I can't see and handle a 30 first, have to preorder one. Just looking at the specs shows it is smaller and lighter. Not sure if that would be a plus or a minus for position shooting. Not going hunting so carry weight is not an issue either way. Thanks for any opinions.

Reactions: MDriskill
I suspect that the HW35e is so nice that it will soon be discontinued. That said, the HW30 is really quite different. It seems much lighter and livelier, more than the specs would indicate. I enjoy both very much with aperture sights and couldn't imagine doing without having both. Another thought is using a red-dot on the HW30 and keeping it very light. My eyesight doesn't work with the open rear sight.

Reactions: sjs
I'd go ahead and get the HW 30, just cuz it's a fun, light, accurate gun that's a total gas to use, and every serious airgunner just NEEDS one! Then you can have your own private shoot-off to determine the best for position shooting.

FWIW, in the "old days" of the 50's and 60's, the HW 35 was marketed by Weihrauch as their "long range" target rifle. If you pick it as your position gun, you might enjoy treating the lovely classic to a serious diopter rear sight. Here's a 35 from the '60's...with an HW sight from the 50's!

Last edited:
IMO both guns are good candidates for irons. I scoped my 177 HW50 (same power as a 35). I love it as an all around gun. I had peeps on my 22 HW50. I sold it because I didn't like the caliber at that power level.

I have two 177 Hw30s (three if you you count my wife's) one scoped and one peep sighted. They both get more use than any other air rifle type I own. The peep sighted 30 is the most fun and most used rifle I own.

Reactions: sjs and sekiar
I have both rifles and both are scoped. I plan to find some older diopter sights for both rifles. I have other scoped rifles that I would rather shoot with a scope. The 30 & 35 seem like they would be great rifles with sights.

The HW30 reminds me of shooting 22lr rifles when I was a kid. Just walking around the farm shooting at whatever looked like it needed to be shot at. It’s a similar size and weight. It’s just when I was a kid we didn’t have scopes on our 22.