My personal favourite is the HW35 an older luxus model.

The 50 is actually a slightly nicer shooter, but beyond that the HW35 destroys it…
The HW35 lock up can be achieved in dead silence, compared to the clunk of the 50….a real boom if in the woods after pests, where a clunker break barrel can put the entire wood to flight on occasion.
The barrel lock of the 35 makes for a reliable lock up when slinging and im convinced provides better relocation from session to session…
The finger grooves of older versions of the 35 are a great feature for metering the exact grip position on the forend …a real boon for consistent hold….cannot figure why they dropped this best ever feature on an air rifle….
I found it a huge help when rook shooting at sharp angle..

A good fettled 35 owns most springers let alone a 50

Reactions: crowski and Frogy
I love all my Weihrauch’s. Have or had almost every model they have produced over the past 40 years. My favorite if I had to pick would be the HW55. The 50 is basically the 55 without the build quality and locking lever. The 50 is also, arguably, one if not the most popular model (barrel cocker) still made. The 35 is more like the 55 in the “build quality” and “locking lever” department. It is heavier do to its larger receiver diameter and almost over built, hence “build quality” design. It has nearly an identical velocity and cocking effort. The 35 is a bit more expensive but really considering the upgrades, it seems to be the bargain of the Weihrauch lineup or any springer for that matter. For traditional lovers like me the 35’s stock configuration is more classic than the new 50 is. Don’t know what Weihrauch is thinking with their new stock designs. The 35 can also be had in a checkered Walnut model for very little more. Any newbies to this arena should give the 35 a good look. IMHO.View attachment 274496 Krale has the HW50 for around $285. $60 more gets the HW35 and another $60 gets the HW35E “Walnut”.
So what would the 55 be valued at

Reactions: crowski
So what would the 55 be valued at
Keep in mind the current HW 50 was originally known as the HW 99. It was re-named in honor of Weihrauch's first air rifle, the original HW 50 made from 1951 or so until the late 90's. The overall size of the two "HW 50's" is similar - I've read the stocks will actually interchange - but the newer one is different internally and has more power.

The older 50 had the heavy threaded-on rear section, similar the current HW 35, HW 77, etc., whose receiver tubes are larger in diameter. The HW 55 target rifle is based on this older threaded action, with the addition of a locking breech, target-grade stocks and sights, etc.

My point being...if it's the better-looking older construction details you are after, you might be just as happy with the original HW 50, as with an HW 55. Beeman sold them for many years, his final variant known as the Beeman R8, which added a safety, synthetic piston seal (older versions were leather) and a very attractive stock.

The HW 55 was also made for almost half a century, with many changes over the years and a half dozen stock styles etc. Value will vary greatly but the most common ones found in the US are Beeman S (beech stock) or M (walnut) variants. Expect to pay $400 and up for nice examples.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the current HW 50 was originally known as the HW 99. It was re-named in honor of Weihrauch's first air rifle, the original HW 50 made from 1951 or so until the late 90's. The overall size of the two "HW 50's" is similar - I've read the stocks will actually interchange - but the newer one is different internally and has more power.

The older 50 had the heavy threaded-on rear section, similar the current HW 35, HW 77, etc., whose receiver tubes are larger in diameter. The HW 55 target rifle is based on this action, with the addition of a locking breech, target-grade stocks and sights, etc.

My point being...if it's the better-looking older construction details you are after, you might be just as happy with the original HW 50, as with an HW 55. Beeman sold them for many years, his final variant known as the Beeman R8, which added a safety, synthetic piston seal (older versions were leather) and a very attractive stock.

The HW 55 was also made for almost half a century, with many changes over the years and a half dozen stock styles etc. Value will vary greatly but the most common ones found in the US are Beeman S (beech stock) or M (walnut) variants. Expect to pay $400 and up for nice examples.
Thank you I’m thinking mine is a walnut finish

The older 50 had the heavy threaded-on rear section, similar the current HW 35, HW 77, etc., whose receiver tubes are larger in diameter. The HW 55 target rifle is based on this action, with the addition of a locking breech, target-grade stocks and sights, etc.

Mine is a 1980s

7B263FB5-1923-4C58-8B1E-42E9E66AE675.jpeg

2B2C1761-9D97-4E69-AA53-9CA096600D8C.jpeg

I am late to a rather old thread, but interested in thought regarding both the 35E and 50 as to whether .177 or .22 for their power output is better for bench shooting at 50 yards. I realize neither is designed for this task and there are better options. But still interested in your "thoughts".
I'd go with .177 in either one. Both are great guns

Edit: If I personally had to pick one, I'm going with the 35E. I love that gun

Last edited:
I am late to a rather old thread, but interested in thought regarding both the 35E and 50 as to whether .177 or .22 for their power output is better for bench shooting at 50 yards. I realize neither is designed for this task and there are better options. But still interested in your "thoughts".
If accuracy is of any importance, get the .177

They are much better barrels than the .22 in the Weihrauch brand.

Plus the .177 is a better fit for the power level, IMO.

I'd take the 50 over the 35 everyday and twice on Sunday. Neither gun is really suitable for a 50 yard bench gun in either caliber. 177 would be my choice if I had to pick a caliber.

A Hw95 or 98 would be a better choice for a 50 yard Break barrel. A 97 would be a better choice than those if you're strictly bench shooting.

I'd take the 50 over the 35 everyday and twice on Sunday. Neither gun is really suitable for a 50 yard bench gun in either caliber. 177 would be my choice if I had to pick a caliber.

A Hw95 or 98 would be a better choice for a 50 yard Break barrel. A 97 would be a better choice than those if you're strictly bench shooting.
I had a 97K and while it was my "best" AR it was the one I shot the least. Even though shooting from a bench it was still heavy to handle, I found the short underbarrel cocker harder to cock and loading a .177 a bit fiddly to load. This is when I realized I was a "breakbarrelguy". I realize the 97K and AA200 are better choices objectively but I like the BBs better if setting at a bench for 1-2 hrs firing and cocking. At one point I had a FWB 300S mini, HW 97K, HW 80, Beeman R7 and Walthers LGV Masters. The HW 80 and LGV in .22 and the others in .177. In the past 8 years I got away from ARs and focused on BP handguns mainly because I was living in Central Texas and the wind was a constant 15-20+mph. I didn't even shoot .22 target BPs-just too much wind. I now live in Florida and the club I shoot at have ranges that are protected descently from the wind and there is lots less wind than Central Texas. I sold the 97K and HW 80 while in Texas, and still have the other three. I don't really "need" anymore ARs, but you know how that goes :rolleyes: I agree the HW 98 would be my best break barrel choice for bench at 50 yds. Probably no heavier and harder to cock (except the barrel is shorter) than the LGV which I like a lot. Actually the R7 tuned by Paul Watts is shooting pretty well at 50 yds. I was thinking (which always cost me money) something between the R7 and the LGV in size and power might be fun to have. And I admit the 35E with the walnut stock is a "real looker" and with the long barrel should be reasonably easy to cock. I think the LGV is around 38 lbs to cock and I don't want anything harder than that.
I appreciate everyone's comments.

I had a 97K and while it was my "best" AR it was the one I shot the least. Even though shooting from a bench it was still heavy to handle, I found the short underbarrel cocker harder to cock and loading a .177 a bit fiddly to load. This is when I realized I was a "breakbarrelguy". I realize the 97K and AA200 are better choices objectively but I like the BBs better if setting at a bench for 1-2 hrs firing and cocking. At one point I had a FWB 300S mini, HW 97K, HW 80, Beeman R7 and Walthers LGV Masters. The HW 80 and LGV in .22 and the others in .177. In the past 8 years I got away from ARs and focused on BP handguns mainly because I was living in Central Texas and the wind was a constant 15-20+mph. I didn't even shoot .22 target BPs-just too much wind. I now live in Florida and the club I shoot at have ranges that are protected descently from the wind and there is lots less wind than Central Texas. I sold the 97K and HW 80 while in Texas, and still have the other three. I don't really "need" anymore ARs, but you know how that goes :rolleyes: I agree the HW 98 would be my best break barrel choice for bench at 50 yds. Probably no heavier and harder to cock (except the barrel is shorter) than the LGV which I like a lot. Actually the R7 tuned by Paul Watts is shooting pretty well at 50 yds. I was thinking (which always cost me money) something between the R7 and the LGV in size and power might be fun to have. And I admit the 35E with the walnut stock is a "real looker" and with the long barrel should be reasonably easy to cock. I think the LGV is around 38 lbs to cock and I don't want anything harder than that.
I appreciate everyone's comments.
I like you, am a BB guy. I have a very nice and very accurate 97 that barely gets shot for the same reasons you mentioned.

The 35 will be easier to cock than the 50 and 98. If you can shoot a R7 fifty yards you'll be fine with the 35. The 98 isn't that hard to cock but it's physically heavy.

Perhaps another gun to think about would be a HW85. It's the same gun as the 95/98 with a long barrel. It'll be as easy to cock as the 35 with a bit more power. I'd still recommend the 177 over the 22 because I've had better luck with the accuracy on 177 Weihrauchs. The 22s seem a little more pellet size fussy.