Hi Moog,
Thanks for the advice. I sent the gun back to AoA last month due to poor velocity and they said it had a cracked seal. They replaced it and returned it. They said they were getting 580 fps with 5.53 FTT's I can't get above 508 fps here at 2900ft elevation. I will call them in the morning to see what they say about the smoke.

The good news is I should receive my new ,177 caliber HW35E tomorrow. :p
To then get the most pleasant shot cycle and be twang/buzz free then sleeve the piston with blister pack plastic.

Hi BoG, sorry but what is blister pack plastic?
Blister pack is the miserable clear plastic that everything is packaged in these days. I save the big pieces because it varies in thickness. Find a thickness that when cut and inserted in the piston (wrapped around to fill the piston and cut to the length of the cavity) just holds the spring snug. Not tight but snug. Then polish the spring ends and remove all oil and grease. You just installed a spring kit. You won’t believe the difference.

Last edited:
Blister pack is the miserable clear plastic that everything is packaged in these days. I save the big pieces because it varies in thickness. Find a thickness that when cut and inserted in the piston (wrapped around to fill the piston and cut to the length of the cavity) just holds the spring snug. Not tight but snug. Then polish the spring ends and remove all oil and grease. You just installed a spring kit. You won’t believe the difference.
Thank for clearing that up, I thought it was some special magic tuner product, haha.

There's a lot of good information if you want a 35. Recently I was sent one of the last new finger groove 177 Hw35s to tune. After working on it and shooting it I don't see the attraction to them. I know there's a whole crowd of people who love their 35s so my opinions may not be appreciated by them. I will post my opinions only to provide a pragmatic counterpoint for those considering either of these rifles.

I have a 177 Hw50 had and sold a nice 22 Hw50. I only sold it because I didn't like the caliber at that power level. After owning two Hw50s, working on a few others and finally working on and shooting a Hw35, I can say I much prefer the Hw50. Here's some stats and reasons why I prefer the Hw50s.

Keep in mind that they both make the same power.

The Hw35 is a full two pounds heavier with the same sighting systems. That's actual scale weight. Not advertised weight. That's a lot of extra weight for the same power. That extra weight will fatigue the shooter sooner.

The Hw50 is a little shorter. This and the lighter weight makes it a little quicker and easier to handle. Especially for hunting.

The Hw50 is much easier to work on. While some see the threaded block as a plus, it's a pain to work with. Also the threads can wear out. Granted it takes alot of disassembly/assembly to happen. Damage can be done to the threads if over tightened. Once the threads are damaged or worn, there's no real fix for that that I know, other than replacing the compression tube.
The spring loaded barrel locking bar makes getting the barrel in place a little trickier on the 35 as well. If you don't work on your guns none of these maintenance issues are a concern. If you do realize that it will take twice as long to strip and rebuild the 35.

I find the barrel release on the 35 more awkward and slower than a traditional break barrel. There's nothing magical about the locking system. It's still spring loaded opposing angles that are subject to wear. The only differences is you have to release it manually and it's not centrally mounted in the breech.

The only plus I can find for the 35 is that it's longer barrel makes it easier cock than the 50.

Those are the physical and mechanical reasons I prefer the 50 to 35. Now for my personal reasons.

I much prefer the more traditional rifle looks of the 50. I don't like any of the abbreviated Weihrauch stocks. I find exposed breeches ugly.

The size, weight and stock design just make the 50 fit my style of shooting better. I find the 50 points and shoulders better than any other Weihrauch I've used. It's why it's my squirrel woods gun.

I've alway said my favorite rifles bar none are my Hw30s. I've also always said if I could only have one air rifle it would be my 177 Hw50. For me the Hw50 is the perfect balance of size weight, power and serviceability. Again these are my personal findings and if you prefer the Hw35 better because it fits your needs better. God bless you. Both guns are well made so there's no right or wrong here. It's just personal preference based on what fits you personal needs and tastes.

Be well
Ron

Last edited:
There's a lot of good information if you want a 35. Recently I was sent one of the last new finger groove 177 Hw35s to tune. After working on it and shooting it I don't see the attraction to them. I know there's a whole crowd of people who love their 35s so my opinions may not be appreciated by them. I will post my opinions only to provide a pragmatic counterpoint for those considering either of these rifles.

I have a 177 Hw50 had and sold a nice 22 Hw50. I only sold it because I didn't like the caliber at that power level. After owning two Hw50s, working on a few others and working on and shooting a Hw35, I can say I much prefer the Hw50. Here's some stats and reasons why I prefer the Hw50s.

Keep in mind that they both make the same power.

The Hw35 is a full two pounds heavier with the same sighting systems. That's actual scale weight. Not advertised weight. That's a lot of extra weight for the same power. That extra weight will fatigue the shooter sooner.

The Hw50 is a little shorter. This and the lighter weight makes it a little quicker and easier to handle. Especially for hunting.

The Hw50 is much easier to work on. While some see the threaded block as a plus, it's a pain to work with. Also the threads can wear out. Granted it takes alot of disassembly/assembly to happen. Damage can be done to the threads if over tightened. Once the threads are damaged or worn there's no real fix for that that I know, other than replacing the compression tube.
The spring loaded barrel locking bar makes getting the barrel in place is a little trickier on the 35 as well. If you don't work on your guns none of these maintenance issues are a concern. If you do realize that it will take twice as long to strip and rebuild the 35.

I find the barrel release on the 35 more awkward and slower than a traditional break barrel. There's nothing magical about the locking system. It's still spring loaded opposing angles that are subject to wear. The only differences is you have to release it manually and it's not centrally mounted in breech.

The only plus I can find for the 35 is that it's longer barrel makes it easier cock than the 50.

Those are the physical and mechanical reasons I prefer the 50 to 35. Now for my personal reasons.

I much prefer the more traditional rifle looks of the 50. I don't like any of the abbreviated Weihrauch stocks. I find exposed breeches ugly.

The size, weight and stock design just make the 50 fit my style of shooting better. I find the 50 points and shoulders better than any other Weihrauch I've used. It's why it's my squirrel woods gun.

I've alway said my favorite rifles bar none are my Hw30s. I've also always said if I could only have one air rifle it would be my 177 Hw50. For me the Hw50 is the perfect balance of size weight, power and serviceability. Again these are my personal findings and if you prefer the Hw35 better because it fits your needs better. God bless you. Both guns are well made so there's no right or wrong here. It's just personal preference based on what fits you personal needs and tastes.

Be well
Ron
Very helpful info, thanks.

Any input on the shooting characteristics of the 35 vs. 50? I ask because my one experience with a 30mm compression tube (R1) was not favorable and I ended up selling that gun. IMHO, it was too harsh at any power level compared with the 25mm or 26mm of the 30, 50 and 95/97. My assumption is that the 35 would also have some of these characteristics due to its larger 30mm tube.
R

Reactions: Bolillo

Any input on the shooting characteristics of the 35 vs. 50? I ask because my one experience with a 30mm compression tube (R1) was not favorable and I ended up selling that gun. IMHO, it was too harsh at any power level compared with the 25mm or 26mm of the 30, 50 and 95/97. My assumption is that the 35 would also have some of these characteristics due to its larger 30mm tube.
R
My Hw50 has a Vortek kit in it. I installed a JM kit in the Hw35 I tuned. My Hw50 makes a hair more power at 11.7 fpe vs 11.5 fpe. Both guns are 177 and have a nice quick shot cycle. I'd be splitting hairs comparing their shot cycles but if I had to I'd say the 50 feels a little zippier due to the reduced piston mass. The 35 is just as nice but it's more like a quick thud. The extra weight of the rifle diffuses the felt recoil of extra piston mass. Both guns shoot nicely tuned. Both guns are very twangy out of the box. I wouldn't let shot cycle be the determining factor.

Keep in mind when comparing models that either gun will have a tamer cycle in 22. Always compare guns of similar calibers and power levels. The Hw35 and 50 shot cycle will likely to remain similar to each other in 22. Also remember my comparison is between two tuned guns. It's been a few months since I've shot a box stock 50 but I don't remember it being much better or worse than the 35 I worked on. I can't shoot any of these things untuned.

To me the important differences are simplicity, weight, balance and styling. Both guns will function equally well.

HTH
Ron

Last edited:
Yeah Ron,
The HW50S in .177 is the "Perfect" Weihrauch for me. That said, the HW35E has more class (power/looks/build quality) vs. the HW50S.
The HW50S clearly outshines in manageability and in my tunes has slightly less power potential vs. the HW35E given equivalent shot cycles.

My HW35E maxes out at 12 FPE, while the HW50S cannot reach that level unless the shot cycle is mostly unpleasant.

By comparison, the HW50S (.177) is a stripped down version for max manageability, nice looks and good power.

Reactions: Frogy

R
I may be the odd man out on this, but my HW50S in .22 was a real disappointment compared to my HW35E in .177.

I realized this is not a good direct comparison with two different calibers, but the 50 shot cycle seems more harsh with lots of spring noise. It is harder to hold on target when shooting off hand due to the lighter weight. I am much better off hand with the 35. The power at my elevation of 2900' is about 8fpe with most 14 grain pellets. The exception is the HN FTT Green at 10.9fpe and the Superdome's at 9.22fpe. Both pellets are reasonably accurate.

The untuned 35 goes thud and barely any spring buzz and is very accurate with JSB EE's at 11.5fpe. It seems to shoot most pellets well. It is a bit hold sensitive, but that's okay, it's making me aware of my shooting flaws.

For now, I plan on keeping the 50. I'll install tune kit for it this fall. But in my mind, the 50 feels almost toy like compared to my 35. I'm glad I have the 35, the 50 not so much.

Z

Reactions: Bear-of-Grayling
What about the galling I read about the HW 50? Is it a common problem or a design defect. I also read that if you slam the barrel shut on the HW 35, it wears out the locking mechanism. So you pull the latch back when you close the barrel. Interested what are the long term maintenance needs between these 2 guns. What parts wear out on each over time and what a defects you would like to see addressed in the future? I have the HW 35E but have been eyeing a HW 50 but the galling has me concerned.

What about the galling I read about the HW 50? Is it a common problem or a design defect. I also read that if you slam the barrel shut on the HW 35, it wears out the locking mechanism. So you pull the latch back when you close the barrel. Interested what are the long term maintenance needs between these 2 guns. What parts wear out on each over time and what a defects you would like to see addressed in the future? I have the HW 35E but have been eyeing a HW 50 but the galling has me concerned.
The galling hasn't been an issue with the HW50 in a long long time. It has a plastic glide to prevent the galling. The biggest issue with the current 50s is barrel droop. 35s suffer the same.

Reactions: Sqwirl57 and JDR
Howdy, I just bought a HW35E in 22 that was on a South florida gun classified for several months. $400 got me the rifle a Sig Sauer whiskey 3 airgun scope a bug buster scope and about 20 unopened tins of pellets plus Williams rear peep that I replaced with sights I took off my Anschutz rimfire. I have several springers HW97K R1 RX2 Tx200 and a pro sport but the 35E is so smooth and amazingly accurate at 15 yards with open sights it has become my favorite rifle to shoot and I’m super happy because I never ever find a good deal.
This rifle was made around December 2022 according to the inspection paperwork.

AAECC7C1-E6AD-4FB5-BD56-01AF9F67E726.jpeg

6EBB6EDA-04FB-4D29-BBED-07DE349DF061.jpeg

Last edited: