• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

HW30s Surprisingly effective to 25 yards

I believe everyone should have one. In fact the HW 30 and the FWB 300 are really the only springers I have much interest in. When you have PCP guns rim fires at your disposal the bigger heavier springer guns just seem unnecessary. However if your budget doesn’t allow the PCP (which do get pricy) a HW 97 might be worth while. I understand they can be tuned to be very pleasant to shoot.

I believe everyone should have one. In fact the HW 30 and the FWB 300 are really the only springers I have much interest in. When you have PCP guns rim fires at your disposal the bigger heavier springer guns just seem unnecessary. However if your budget doesn’t allow the PCP (which do get pricy) a HW 97 might be worth while. I understand they can be tuned to be very pleasant to shoot.

I have four. My problem is that I frequent pawn shops and can’t walk away from a nice air rifle at a giveaway price.

After practicing for about a week on paper and bell targets my 11yr old niece had her first squirrel hunt this morning using my HW30 Urban Pro. About two weeks ago i put a squirrel feeder in their back yard, when I arrived this morning I realized that I forgot to bring along a bag of shell peanuts to refill the feeder so after getting her setup about 25yrds away I quickly ran home and back with the peanuts and when I arrive she had a grin from ear to ear and as excited as can be. 

She managed to bag her first red squirrel by placing a single .177 H&N Terminator right in the boiler room and planted him then also managed to bag a few small birds as well....I think she is hooked! ;)

I was concerned it may be a little to weak at the range but it did quite well.

Very interesting observation! Accuracy and proper shot placement is always more important than power when hunting with airguns. 

Years ago there was a fellow named Robert Hamilton who did a lot of forum posts about hunting with an R7. He had one that had been tuned, scoped, and sighted in at various ranges within an inch of its life, LOL. He shot it off a rest to very efficiently hunt pigeons, ground squirrels, etc. at 40 yards and up.

The classic Beeman catalogs had a nice little article on hunting with match rifles, too, which have about the same power.

HW30 in .177 is one of my favoriteshad little hunters, l bought on that was looked over my by late gun smith when l bought it. He said gun was nice over all. He put a new spring as the original broke on me and was doing 7 plus fpe. I hunted squirrels but never shot at one more than 12 yards, not that l could not take them further,, it was just that every time l took one they were that close. I hunted doves and starling out to 60 yards with mine no problem. I did the same with my rws 24 out to 60 yards, l guess no one told my little springers it could not be done out to that range.

Well so far she has gotten one squirrel up on me since I managed to flub my shot with the HW50 Hunter last Sunday when I forgot that I needed to use hold under and not hold over at the 15yrd distance I was shooting from. Lol

I suspect she will have another go at it this coming weekend as the weather is supposed to be fairly pleasant at around 40 degrees. She has been keeping an eye on her feeder and is reporting a lot of grey activity and I suspect her time lapse camera will prove this as well and with any luck and concentration on her part she will have a grey in the bag...who know maybe two.

Welp...sure enough my niece managed to get her first grey today with a single Terminator right in the boiler room again and as you might imagine she was very excited and to top it off she even cleaned her squirrel without hardly any fuss at all. 😀

She still manages to throw a wild shot now an again when she looses her concentration but all in all she has taken to it quite well and is now even talking about an overnight hunting/camping trip.... looks like I may have my work cut out for me. lol

If she manages to stick with it for the next year or so she may find a new HW57 under her Christmas tree in the not to distant future.