• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW30s pellet testing

After shooting the little HW30s a couple hundred rounds I stripped it down, cleaned it, deburred it and dropped a Vortek PG4 kit and seal into it, very lightly lubed, put moly on the rest of the right places. The initial galling by the cocking arm has been completely solved by my earlier work of polishing the inner surface of the cocking arm and loosening of the very tight riveted cocking arm joint. The OEM seal and spring looked fine and it wasn't too overly lubed, the seal did not have any cuts on it.. The process went smoothly. Put a 3-12x bugbuster scope on it and sighted it in. Very little adjustment needed to walk it in at 10 yds, the barrel is droop free! Head shot a red squirrel at 10 yards under the feeder the next morning. Put about 150 rounds through it. Cocking is silky smooth, shot cycle is a very nice tunk, no other noise. Started shooting H&N 8.64 FTT, JSB Premium Exact 8.4, JSB 7.3 Exacts and RWS 7.0 wadcutters at 10 yards. The gun seems to like lighter pellets so far and shot the JSB 7.33 Exacts the best, putting 10 shots in less than a dime. The 7.0g RWS wadcutters shot good. The 8.4g and 8.6g shot poorly. Moved out to 20 yards, my technique needs more work and it was a snowy and windy so the shooting was poor.

DSCF6257.JPG

After shooting the little HW30s a couple hundred rounds I stripped it down, cleaned it, deburred it and dropped a Vortek PG4 kit and seal into it, very lightly lubed, put moly on the rest of the right places. The initial galling by the cocking arm has been completely solved by my earlier work of polishing the inner surface of the cocking arm and loosening of the very tight riveted cocking arm joint. The OEM seal and spring looked fine and it wasn't too overly lubed, the seal did not have any cuts on it.. The process went smoothly. Put a 3-12x bugbuster scope on it and sighted it in. Very little adjustment needed to walk it in at 10 yds, the barrel is droop free! Head shot a red squirrel at 10 yards under the feeder the next morning. Put about 150 rounds through it. Cocking is silky smooth, shot cycle is a very nice tunk, no other noise. Started shooting H&N 8.64 FTT, JSB Premium Exact 8.4, JSB 7.3 Exacts and RWS 7.0 wadcutters at 10 yards. The gun seems to like lighter pellets so far and shot the JSB 7.33 Exacts the best, putting 10 shots in less than a dime. The 7.0g RWS wadcutters shot good. The 8.4g and 8.6g shot poorly. Moved out to 20 yards, my technique needs more work and it was a snowy and windy so the shooting was poor.

View attachment 333149
I shoot 1" spinners with mine at 32 yards, freaking amazing.

I shoot 1" spinners with mine at 32 yards, freaking amazing.
My shooting technique will need some work to get out to 30 yds.. Have shot powder burner and black powder deer rifles for years, but have lost the springer touch of my youth! LOL. One of the reasons to get this little gun was to be able to shoot more.... Have shot more in 2 days than I have my deer rifles in a decade!!! FUN.

My shooting technique will need some work to get out to 30 yds.. Have shot powder burner and black powder deer rifles for years, but have lost the springer touch of my youth! LOL. One of the reasons to get this little gun was to be able to shoot more.... Have shot more in 2 days than I have my deer rifles in a decade!!! FUN.
Not really, with no recoil in the 30s it will surprise you, it's easier than you think. I know about the hunt, I've been reduced to sporting clays and steel spinners. I do sit in the deer stand a few days during season but we only shoot wall hangers so I get to watch a lot of deer, shoot very few.

Reactions: Frogy
I know what you mean. Ever since I got into airgunning, I find that I put as many "rounds" through them, as I do regular firearms.

I put the Vortek in my 30, amazed at the difference. Not in speed but sound, accuracy and consistency. Not that it needed it it was a laser out of the box. Good luck Crow
Crow, The install process isn't hard as you well know. I watched a couple vids and read up on the process. I used a shop bar clamp to hold the end plug in place so as not to risk cross threading the keeper bolt during reassembly. I also put the longer trigger guard retention screw in temporarily at that stage of the reassembly to help with alignment. I thought the out of the box shooting and cocking was pretty good, the Vortek just makes a good thing a bit better.

Reactions: Frogy and crowski