• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW30 v HW50

Size wise they're pretty close. My 30S barrel is almost identical in length to my 50S barrel. Same LOP too but the 50 is a bit longer because the tube is a little longer. Looks to be about a 2" difference total.

For general plinking reasons the 30S is just great. Very very tame and so easy to cock you could literally do it all day. The 50S isn't hard to cock by any means but it certainly takes a bit more effort. If you plan on doing any hunting with the gun or live in a windy area the 50 may be a better choice by a small margin.

I think the HW30 also has a different diameter piston and seal from the rest of the HW line, 25mm vs 26mm. Or at least I hope so because if not, I ordered the wrong seals. Keep the .177 HW30 on order, easy to shoot, compact and light which reduces fatigue. HW50 is a wee bit larger, heavier, and harder to cock with a bit more umph.

Reactions: sjs
50 is harder to cock than a 35. Similar linkages but completely different guns. The 35 has a longer barrel than the 50 so more leverage for the same power output. Keep in mind a 35 is a full two pounds heavier.

Next point comparison. The Hw30s use a ball detent. The Hw50s use the chisel detent. Both work fine. I've serviced at least a dozen guns of each detent type. NEVER had a problem with the 30s ball detent. Which is good because they're unserviceable.

I have however had to service several bad HW chisel detents and I have seen them damage the gun itself.

My take is, if you're shooting for fun. Take the 30. If you want a light handy airgun to kill small pest, pick the 50.

I have two 177 HW30s (three if you include my wife's), one 177 HW50 and six other more powerful Weihrauchs in 177, 20 & 22. My two Hw30s get more use than all the others combined. I've taken quite a few grey squirrels to twenty yards with them as well.

Of all the airguns I own when I walk around my woods looking for squirrels I always bring the 50. The others are too big, noticeably heavier and the 50 has enough power to reach out to the end of my skills. That's about 40-45 yards.

30 for fun.
50 for dinner.
Others for the bench

I concur with everyone's opinion on the HW30. It is one of my favorite rifles, easy to shoot all day. They are very accurate, easy to hit small targets at 55 yards when the wind is not crazy. I liked the HW50 so much I purchased a custom stock for it. Harder to cock but tuned to about 13 fpe with a Vortek kit. Great rifles. Both rifles can hit a can at 80 yards.

The Hawke 2-7x32 Airmax and a BKL 260 droop mount makes both rifles shine.

Mundilar has the HW30 in stock. I have ordered two rifles and a pistol from Mundilar in the past. They ship as fast as Krale so to your door in less than a week. The only drawback is they charge VAT tax. Email them and explain that you are in the US. They always refund the VAT quickly.

Welcome to the springer rabbit hole! When the dust settled and I found myself at the bottom of rabbit hole I managed to accumulate about a dozen rifles and seven pistols. Whew. Glad I hit bottom!

I concur with everyone's opinion on the HW30. It is one of my favorite rifles, easy to shoot all day. They are very accurate, easy to hit small targets at 55 yards when the wind is not crazy. I liked the HW50 so much I purchased a custom stock for it. Harder to cock but tuned to about 13 fpe with a Vortek kit. Great rifles. Both rifles can hit a can at 80 yards.

Mundilar has the HW30 in stock. I have ordered two rifles and a pistol from Mundilar in the past. They ship as fast as Krale so to your door in less than a week. The only drawback is they charge VAT tax. Email them and explain that you are in the US. They always refund the VAT quickly.

Welcome to the springer rabbit hole! When the dust settled and I found myself at the bottom of rabbit hole I managed to accumulate about a dozen rifles and seven pistols. Whew. Glad I hit bottom!
I purchased my green 97 and a Luxus stock from Mundilar. Best service I've ever experienced.

BTW I was sure I was at the bottom of the rabbit hole last year. I've since added a 22 HW95 & a 20 HW98. I'm not sure there's a bottom to this rabbit hole anymore.

There is a bottom ????????????? where ????????????????

50 is harder to cock than a 35. Similar linkages but completely different guns. The 35 has a longer barrel than the 50 so more leverage for the same power output. Keep in mind a 35 is a full two pounds heavier.

Next point comparison. The Hw30s use a ball detent. The Hw50s use the chisel detent. Both work fine. I've serviced at least a dozen guns of each detent type. NEVER had a problem with the 30s ball detent. Which is good because they're unserviceable.

I have however had to service several bad HW chisel detents and I have seen them damage the gun itself.

My take is, if you're shooting for fun. Take the 30. If you want a light handy airgun to kill small pest, pick the 50.

I have two 177 HW30s (three if you include my wife's), one 177 HW50 and six other more powerful Weihrauchs in 177, 20 & 22. My two Hw30s get more use than all the others combined. I've taken quite a few grey squirrels to twenty yards with them as well.

Of all the airguns I own when I walk around my woods looking for squirrels I always bring the 50. The others are too big, noticeably heavier and the 50 has enough power to reach out to the end of my skills. That's about 40-45 yards.

30 for fun.
50 for dinner.
Others for the bench
Well said!

I couldn't decide between the 30 and 50 in .177, so I saved up enough to buy both. Love my HW50S. But, like everyone else, I'm still waiting on the HW30 to be re-stocked.
Lmao this is the correct answer. Realistically it seems everyone ends up with both (and then some) so there's really no reason to worry about which one is best now.