HW30 Muzzle Brake

On another thread the question was asked where to get a muzzle brake for an HW30.

I posted a link to a metal brake that will fit 15mm barrels at Archer Airguns.

I received mine yesterday and installed it on my new HW30, that had been shooting great groups at 18 yards.

The brake is well made and looks good, but it WRECKED the accuracy of my 30, turned it into a shotgun with all pellets tried.

Took the brake off and accuracy immediately returned.

Glad I didn't use JB Weld to install as the instructions suggested.

Gonna go another direction and get a guy on the GTA to make me one out of delrin.

Just wanted to give a heads up. YMMV

I’m pretty sure that it is the fact that it’s not bonded that’s causing the issues. I had put a CF shroud on mine and did the same thing. Bonding it would keep everything stable. I would experiment by using something easy to undo, that would still bond it. I may do that with mine later on. 

Oh, forgot: IF I’m right, you may experience the same problem with the Delrin one unless it’s fitted on tight all way around. 

I don't know that muzzle brake BUT many brakes leave the muzzle too far back from the first chamber.

My experience with muzzle brakes on AIR RIFLES is different than what works on firearms.

The brake may have to be modified so it screws on further or the muzzle threads moved back and a smaller threadless boss created on the tip of the muzzle that sticks forwsrd, the thing that has to happen is the crown of the muzzle HAS to be even with the back face of the first chamber or even a bit into the first chamber. If it's recessed back much at all it creates a pocket that keeps the muzzle blast from expanding quick enough, generates turbulence and throws the projectile off. If the muzzle is flush with the back wall of the first brake chamber the gas can divert / strip away cleaner.

I don't know that muzzle brake BUT many brakes leave the muzzle too far back from the first chamber.

My experience with muzzle brakes on AIR RIFLES is different than what works on firearms.

The brake may have to be modified so it screws on further or the muzzle threads moved back and a smaller threadless boss created on the tip of the muzzle that sticks forwsrd, the thing that has to happen is the crown of the muzzle HAS to be even with the back face of the first chamber or even a bit into the first chamber. If it's recessed back much at all it creates a pocket that keeps the muzzle blast from expanding quick enough, generates turbulence and throws the projectile off. If the muzzle is flush with the back wall of the first brake chamber the gas can divert / strip away cleaner.

Thanks Kinetic45, but this brake is just a piece of steel with a hole drilled in it.

It is for looks/cocking handle use only. It just slips on the barrel and is held on with two grub screws.