HW/Weihrauch HW30 introduction?

I just got a HW30s this week. Been wanting one for 20 years or so, but never got around to ordering one. I put a Williams receiver sight on it, and replaced the fiber optic dog sh!t front sight. It's a very lovely timeless combination. Like breath of fresh air to go back to basics! I got my first airgun (paid for it with my own cash) when I was 13 or so. It was a Norica 73. I loved it but really wanted a Diana, like my uncle had suggested, but could not afford it. Receiving the HW30s feel like being a kid again! Could someone here tell me when the HW30 was introduced? I know the HW30s came on the market in 1964, and even that is quite impressive!

My HW30s has the new stock on it. I think it's ugly, but already planned to make a new stock in Walnut, so I'm not bothered. The original sights were horrible! Which is unfortunately common on many HW guns these days. They ruined the HW45 and HW75 completely this way. The front sight had the fiber optic insert put in more to one side than the other. Unusable as intended, and best ignored! The deluxe globe sigh was a bit pricey, but high quality for what it is. I like the the thin Patridge insert best for general use. Would be accurate enough for head shots on Tree Rats out to 30-40ft, where legal!

Sorry. This may flare a few feathers. HW 30 is not a hunting gun.. 5 to 7 ft lbs will not humanely take squirrels down.
🔥 suit on. I own the R7 in .20 and it’s hot at 8 ft lbs and it’s not enough.. They can jump a pellet at 500 550 ft per second
and .177 has no real killing power at 5 to 6 ft lbs.

OK, COME ON OUT ALL YOU CLOSET CARLOS HATHCOCK 60 yard Hw 30 snipers ..
squirrels are the toughest small game there is to dispose of. Slow death run off is what you will get if not a eyeball ear shot.
at less than 15 yards.

Sorry. This may flare a few feathers. HW 30 is not a hunting gun.. 5 to 7 ft lbs will not humanely take squirrels down.
🔥 suit on. I own the R7 in .20 and it’s hot at 8 ft lbs and it’s not enough.. They can jump a pellet at 500 550 ft per second

squirrels are the toughest small game there is to dispose of. Slow death run off is what you will get if not a eyeball ear shot.
at less than 15 yards.
I won't try it, but I think it will work just fine! Hope that quenched ya for a while...

at less than 15 yards.
I had a squirrel crawl up on my 30 yard backstop while I'm shooting my HW30. He proceeded to lay down on the shelf where I set my small targets. Arms and legs stretched out in the warm sun. It was like he was like he was enjoying the flatness of it. I watched him through the 24x scope I had on it at the time. I could have easily extinguished that one, but I wouldn't interrupt the beatiful day he was enjoying. 20231019_115513.jpg

I had a squirrel crawl up on my 30 yard backstop while I'm shooting my HW30. He proceeded to lay down on the shelf where I set my small targets. Arms and legs stretched out in the warm sun. It was like he was like he was enjoying the flatness of it. I watched him through the 24x scope I had on it at the time. I could have easily extinguished that one, but I wouldn't interrupt the beatiful day he was enjoying.View attachment 459227
You may have hit him but not with lethal force.. head shot or not. He would run, for sure to a pain full death slowly. 1

Last edited:
Reactions: scottblair
You really like to tell people how to behave don't you!
I had a squirrel crawl up on my 30 yard backstop while I'm shooting my HW30. He proceeded to lay down on the shelf where I set my small targets. Arms and legs stretched out in the warm sun. It was like he was like he was enjoying the flatness of it. I watched him through the 24x scope I had on it at the time. I could have easily extinguished that one, but I wouldn't interrupt the beatiful day he was enjoying.View attachment 459227
those mounts are real sweet, would be nice on a stainless gun! I applaud your discipline, that's a sign of good hunter

Reactions: .20calguy
You really like to tell people how to behave don't you!

those mounts are real sweet, would be nice on a stainless gun! I applaud your discipline, that's a sign of good hunter
Do what you may with your own good intentions. ..

Those who hunt will understand

Those who internet hunt will argue.

Sorry I posted and will refrain from the thread.

I don’t think my feathers are flared but I disagree…with the caveat that you are free to have whatever opinion you want!

My HW30 in .177 is not only one of my most accurate springers at 20 yards but maybe also the least hold sensitive. Using the JSB 7.33’s and a quality 9X optic, at 20 yards I can hit dimes 10/10 all day…that is how confident I am in its accuracy and my ability to shoot it well(relationship?).

No, I wouldn’t choose it as a good option for a walk through the woods with the intent of killing a squirrel…but for guarding the bird feeder 60’ from my front door it might actually be the perfect option from my sandbag on the desk just inside.

It’s quiet, tame, boringly reliable, consistent, and accurate in my hands. Really, anything higher powered than the 30 just feels like overkill.

Again, just my opinion.

The OP’s intent of using his HW30 at 30’-40’ for squirrel hunting is entirely valid, imo.

Hell, at 30’ a Red Ryder will bring squirrel heaven to earth with a well placed head shot.

at less than 15 yards.
Btw, my HW30 is untuned/stock and pushing 7.33 grain JSB’s to shy of 700 fps for 7.5 fpe. And no…you don’t have to hit an ear channel or eye socket to humanely kill them inside of 60’. A solid cranial impact inside that dime sized diameter is all that’s necessary. FWIW, my HW50(11 fpe) will fully penetrate a squirrels skull with wadcutters at 60’. I know cause I’ve seen it firsthand. DRT

Obviously, the aphorism “accuracy kills” is important here. A 7 grain pellet @ 6 fpe centered on the temple will kill much more effectively than a 45 grain slug @ 80 fpe poorly placed.

Last edited:
I don’t think my feathers are flared but I disagree…with the caveat that you are free to have whatever opinion you want!

My HW30 in .177 is not only one of my most accurate springers at 20 yards but maybe also the least hold sensitive. Using the JSB 7.33’s, at 20 yards I can hit dimes 10/10 all day…that is how confident I am in its accuracy and my ability to shoot it well(relationship?).

No, I wouldn’t choose it as a good option for a walk through the woods with the intent of killing a squirrel…but for guarding the bird feeder 60’ from my front door it might actually be the perfect option from my sandbag on the desk just inside.

It’s quiet, tame, boringly reliable, consistent, and accurate in my hands. Really, anything higher powered than the 30 just feels like overkill.

Again, just my opinion.

The OP’s intent of using his HW30 at 30’-40’ for squirrel hunting is entirely valid, imo.

Hell, at 30’ a Red Ryder will bring squirrel heaven to earth with a well placed head shot.

Btw, my HW30 is untuned/stock and pushing 7.33 grain JSB’s to shy of 700 fps for 7.5 fpe. And no…you don’t have to hit an ear channel or eye socket to humanely kill them inside of 60’. A solid cranial impact inside that dime sized diameter is all that’s necessary. FWIW, my HW50(11 fpe) will fully penetrate a squirrels skull with wadcutters at 60’. I know cause I’ve seen it firsthand. DRT

Obviously, the aphorism “accuracy kills” is important here. A 7 grain pellet @ 6 fpe centered on the temple will kill much more effectively than a 45 grain slug @ 80 fpe poorly placed.
Well stated ! Have you tried the 7.33 gr AA Falcons ? Accurate as well as a 10 fps gain in my R7.

Interesting. I’ve not yet had the need or desire to try different pellets because the JSB’s are so accurate and consistent in this particular gun.
I think you might find the AA's just as accurate. And in both my R7 and FWB 124D they shoot
consistently 10 fps higher. And that is for all weights.....7.33....7.89...and the 8.44 gr.

i have taken a lot of Squirrels with an HW30 mine shoots @ 7.9 FPE Wadcutters and i only take a Squirrel @ or less than 30 FEET . Bought it used and beat up .