HW/Weihrauch HW30 black

crowski

Dec 14, 2020
On, Canada
*I have a 30 black in .177. It was shooting nicely when I first got it. I took it apart to clean and grease job until a spring comes along.
Now when jacking it doesn’t catch. When I take the stock off I can jack it. I shoot the round out , put stock back on won’t catch. I’ve taken the trigger out a half dozen times. Keep getting same results.
Any suggestion?
IMG_7428.jpeg
Crow

Odd problem, all I can think of is a possible trigger block shift Of some sort, cross pins installed, since you can get it to catch that does not seem possible. Next thought is did you have the trigger block cocked when installing to assure proper alignment of trigger block over the safety crossbolt, then put cross pins in and pull trigger. Finish reassembly.

Reactions: crowski
Did you change springs. Or guides. Or add washers First thing that comes to mind is coil bound .. I’ve seen it in a few that are right at the limit and will cock out of the gun as the trigger flex a tad ,but when locked in the stock with front and rear screws it’s not moving..

Any trigger readjustments with front torx screw?
….check to see your trigger guard is clearing the trigger unit and is sitting dead flush to the stock inlet..

Odd problem, all I can think of is a possible trigger block shift Of some sort, cross pins installed, since you can get it to catch that does not seem possible. Next thought is did you have the trigger block cocked when installing to assure proper alignment of trigger block over the safety crossbolt.
One last thought, did you make any adjustment to the big silver screw, if you did you may want to go back on the adjustment. After seeing A.G.R post about coil bound that would also be high suspect area.

Come to think of it I did have this exact problem in my TX200 with a Vortek kit. I installed it with the supplied spacers and the gun wouldn't cock. The guide was too long and bottoming out ont the washers in the piston. I took 1 washer out and it would cock but the safety wouldn't set. Took both out and everything worked as it should. I ended up using a tubing cutter got like brake lines to cut 3/8" off the top of the guide and then adding in a slight bevel. After that it worked fine with both spacers.

Here's a link to the issue I had. Hopefully it helps.

Thanks for the responses. I looked in my book. Says nothing about a spring. The more I thought about it, I had to of change the spring. I looked in my replaced springs and verified I did. Never finished the job didn’t write in. Vortek spring.
‘Does this mean I should remove 1/2 a coil at a time?
Still odd that it will cock without the stock on but not with it on.
Crow

Thanks for the responses. I looked in my book. Says nothing about a spring. The more I thought about it, I had to of change the spring. I looked in my replaced springs and verified I did. Never finished the job didn’t write in. Vortek spring.
‘Does this mean I should remove 1/2 a coil at a time?
Still odd that it will cock without the stock on but not with it on.
Crow
Your prolly at the hairy end. Was it a kit ,or just a spring.. different wire size.

Count the coils, measure the wire. Measure your piston inner face to breech block face. That’s your max . That being said it won’t cock at max as most trigger units need .125 at least for engagement travel.
Take out washers if they are stacked or shorten tophat. Before coil cut.. cutting coils will change a lot more faster ,not just power but cocking cycle load.

Your prolly at the hairy end. Was it a kit ,or just a spring.. different wire size.

Count the coils, measure the wire. Measure your piston inner face to breech block face. That’s your max . That being said it won’t cock at max as most trigger units need .125 at least for engagement travel.
Take out washers if they are stacked or shorten tophat. Before coil cut.. cutting coils will change a lot more faster ,not just power but cocking cycle load.
Thanks for your advice, highly valued.
I just got off the horn with Mycapt65 and he coached me through a series of trial and error. Found out it cocked with stock screw in but as soon as front trigger screw was screwed in , it stopped jacking. The assembly rocks when placed in the plastic stock.
‘Also the front trigger screw may be too long, it has some wear on the end. I’m going to try a washer to combat this issue. Later In the day, will post results. Looking forward to shooting this gun, hasn’t had 20 rounds through it. Again thanks. Crow

Thanks for your advice, highly valued.
I just got off the horn with Mycapt65 and he coached me through a series of trial and error. Found out it cocked with stock screw in but as soon as front trigger screw was screwed in , it stopped jacking. The assembly rocks when placed in the plastic stock.
‘Also the front trigger screw may be too long, it has some wear on the end. I’m going to try a washer to combat this issue. Later In the day, will post results. Looking forward to shooting this gun, hasn’t had 20 rounds through it. Again thanks. Crow
Why use a washer, … linish (sand and polish) off 1 mm or so off the end and walla. . They are not hardened screws.

prolly at the hairy end. Was it a kit ,or just a spring.. different wire size.

This is the kit. I received my piston seals after this install. Will replace this season.
IMG_7431.jpeg
This gun sat on the side lines for ever, occasionally taking a stab at it. Crow

This is the kit. I received my piston seals after this install. Will replace this season.View attachment 410830This gun sat on the side lines for ever, occasionally taking a stab at it. Crow
Did you have another 30 apart at some point? My 83 HW30 has a different length front trigger guard screw than the newer ones

Same kit I have in my .20 (only gun I own without my own tuning ,[yet], I was lazy and it fired well besides the immediate pre load at breech break) I MAY ADDRESS IT LATER for less pre load and if it looses a bit of power ,it’s a plinker not a Hunter. Sorry Carlos Hathcock R7 40 yard snipers .. it’s not a hunting gun for me..
I see 7.5 ft lbs with 11.5 FTT

SOME TRIGGER SCREWS WERE A TAD LONGER OR THE STOCK MACHINING WAS DEEPER ..

Did you have another 30 apart at some point? My 83 HW30 has a different length front trigger guard screw than the newer ones
No I didn’t. I tackled 1 at a time.
Same kit I have in my .20 (only gun I own without my own tuning ,[yet], I was lazy and it fired well besides the immediate pre load at breech break) I MAY ADDRESS IT LATER for less pre load and if it looses a bit of power ,it’s a plinker not a Hunter. Sorry Carlos Hathcock R7 40 yard snipers .. it’s not a hunting gun for me..
I see 7.5 ft lbs with 11.5 FTT

SOME TRIGGER SCREWS WERE A TAD LONGER OR THE STOCK MACHINING WAS DEEPER ..
30 Not my first choice to hunt with. Dropped a black squirrel this morning with a 97 .20 cal.
Check the shoulders on this black beauty.
IMG_7432.jpeg
I was going to jump on to tonite. Couldn’t wait. Wood shop has to wait. Put a washer inside stock of front trigger screw. Pulled the screw from bottoming out. The gun jacks nicely.
Took a scope off the shelf, installed, went out and shot. Thanks to the snow I could easily see how much I was out, missing the target completely. Turns out to be another fantastic 30 and an excellent candidate for a custom stock.
‘Thanks again for all the input. Dream Team. Crow