• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A HW30 .22 is A-OK

Took out the HW30 yesterday at my little spot by the tracks.Ive had an R7 .177 for many years and was suspect on the low power and rainbow trajectory in .22 in the field.I use it for offhand at the 50' indoor range mainly. I must say all is good.I shot from 20 to about 40 yards and once I figured out my holdover I was hitting with it as well as my .177.

I can recommend this rifle in .22.

Last edited:
Took out the HW30 yesterday at my little spot by the tracks.Ive had an R7 .177 for many years and was suspect on the low power and rainbow trajectory in .22 in the field.I use it for offhand at the 50' indoor range mainly. I must say all is good.I shot from 20 to about 40 yards and once I figured out my holdover I was hitting with it as well as my .177.

They are excellent rifles for sure.
I have a .22 that was tuned by John in Pa.
He installed a Airgun Headquarters indoor shooting kit.
So it’s not a lot of power, but it’s one ragged hole at 15 yards, and so easy to cock with everything being buttery smooth.
It’s my old man springer lol!

IMG_5534.jpeg

They are excellent rifles for sure.
I have a .22 that was tuned by John in Pa.
He installed a Airgun Headquarters indoor shooting kit.
So it’s not a lot of power, but it’s one ragged hole at 15 yards, and so easy to cock with everything being buttery smooth.
It’s my old man springer lol!

View attachment 398890
I self tuned mine ( meaning just lube and polish) and at 50' it's little clusters all touching with RWS hobbies

Wow! That's interesting to know. I have the HW30s in .177 and its sooo easy to shoot free-hand.
Question, Is the .22 smoother to cock and fire or does it have the same spring/piston/transfer port? If so then I'm guessing that the FPE would be higher than in .177
These are the 3-shot Chrono results for my HW30
Jsb Exact @8.466 grains
6.63 foot-pounds

Bisley mag @10.55 grains
5.27 foot-pounds

I've not chronographed it.Its very smooth but I can't tell a huge difference to my .177 R7.Both are a joy to shoot offhand.I have a .20 HW30 on the way so then I'll get the Oehler out and compare energy and accuracy between the three
Awesome! I look forward to seeing your results harrympope! I take it you are from over the pond as you refer to yours as R7?
As you may know here in England we are limited in power to 12 FPE unless we obtain a UK Fire Arms License (FAC) which is a pain in the A**!
However, I'm guessing your R7/Hw30 has the same low power as mine as these rifles aren't meant to be high power.