• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW30 .20 Bought because I had pellets that weren't being used...

You know, we've all done it before .You have some component unused so rather than sell it...(the anwser) You buy something more expensive so you can use the stuff up.

Today I went against my judgment and bought an HW30 .20. I already have a 177 and .22 and i'm quite happy. But I have about 20 tins of the old gold labeled JSB Exacts just sitting there from an R9 I sold many years ago.

probably not the best caliber for an R7/HW30 but the .22 I recently bought is quite nice and needed a companion.

question- has anyone used the lighter FTT pellets? I've thought about ordering a few tins.

I would definitely give the FTTs a try. The Hw30s are a smaller power plant and they tend to do better with pellets on the lighter side of the spectrum.

My 177 Hw30s make the most power and are the most accurate with 7.33 JSB or AAs. They still shoot JSB 8.44s and 8.64 FTTs just fine but the power dips. Especially with the FTTs.

That's 177 but most of my 20 cals did as well with the FTTs as the JSB 13.73s. They sometimes made more power with the lighter FTTs. All of them hated the JSB 20 cal heavies and were only so so with 13.58 Barracudas.

Not a silly decision my friend. There are folks who love .20 cal and create all the hoopla and others who want to find out what the hoopla is all about. IMO that gun should be pretty easy to get top dollar for if you don't care for it. I would wager to say if you like the HW30 in .177 and .22 you should really like .20 and could sell the other two if you're thinking you have too many HW30's, lol.

I'd definitely try 11.42 grain FTT's. The JSB Exacts at 13.73 grains are so close in weight to the 14.66 grain .22 H&N FTT's that you probably won't notice much difference in velocity and trajectory between those two.

I have two HW springers in .20 (HW97 and R1) and they are lasers with FTT's.

I would definitely give the FTTs a try. The Hw30s are a smaller power plant and they tend to do better with pellets on the lighter side of the spectrum.

My 177 Hw30s make the most power and are the most accurate with 7.33 JSB or AAs. They still shoot JSB 8.44s and 8.64 FTTs just fine but the power dips. Especially with the FTTs.

That's 177 but most of my 20 cals did as well with the FTTs as the JSB 13.73s. They sometimes made more power with the lighter FTTs. All of them hated the JSB 20 cal heavies and were only so so with 13.58 Barracudas.
my R7 .177 is also best with the 7.33 JSB pellets.The 8.44 Shoots about as well but the trajectory suffers a bit.My R7 is my lunchtime 12ga hull smacker.
I have a spot by work that guys shoot clays and leave the shells. I lay them out,munch a sandwich and let pellets fly.

I also have a HW30 in all three calibers and like them all, however for some reason the .20 is kinda special and makes a better knock down wham on my metal targets compared to the .177 HW30. Of course the, at the range I shoot the .22 is the king in the knock down king of the three. Really you really need all three. Charles

You know, we've all done it before .You have some component unused so rather than sell it...(the anwser) You buy something more expensive so you can use the stuff up.

Today I went against my judgment and bought an HW30 .20. I already have a 177 and .22 and i'm quite happy. But I have about 20 tins of the old gold labeled JSB Exacts just sitting there from an R9 I sold many years ago.

probably not the best caliber for an R7/HW30 but the .22 I recently bought is quite nice and needed a companion.

question- has anyone used the lighter FTT pellets? I've thought about ordering a few tins.
Congratulations on the new purchase. Where did you buy it? I’m thinking I need a .20 also seeing I have a SC custom stock with no action in it. Let us know how it’s shooting when you receive it.

Congratulations on the new purchase. Where did you buy it? I’m thinking I need a .20 also seeing I have a SC custom stock with no action in it. Let us know how it’s shooting when you receive it.
AOA used section.Its in the synthetic stock. I feel bad and if you send that lonely SC stock my way I'll pay shipping because I'm that kinda guy🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: mj102
Have an older R7 marked .20 myself and it's excellent shooter.
-H&N FTT's: Average 554, ES 11, SD 3, 7.78 fpe
-JSB Exact: Average 497, ES 20, SD 6, 7.53 fpe
Normally right handed but shooting lefty since at the time, I had no use of my right arm after shoulder surgery and the R7 was the one rifle I could shoot and do everything one handed. Managed this at 20 yards:
R7 Target 20 yards.jpgR7 .20 20 yards.jpg
Enjoy yours, they really are very sweet shooters in .20 cal.