• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW100. Regal, or S510... Help me decide

I’m looking for advice. I’m looking to buy a high quality PCP in .177. I bought an FX Crown and it would not hold a decent group for me. I worked very hard on tuning and setup, but just couldn’t make it work, so it had to go back.

I am debating between HW100, Daystate Regal, and Air Arms S510 FAC Extra. All 3 would be models with a regulator.

I would use the rifle for target shooting, and occasional HFT match, and may be a squirrel hunt now and then.

I would like a minimum of 50 shots per fill, more is better. I really don’t like to stop shooting to fill up.

Accuracy is a must. I want one very small hole at 25 yards.

Reliability is important. I would like the design to be simple and robust. Closer to a Rapid than an FX if you know what I mean. Rapids feel like a tool, FX feel like fragile instrument.

My head says HW100, but my heart says Regal. The S510 is somewhere in between, but I am not familiar with their record or reliability.

What are your shot counts with these models? Please let me know your thoughts or experiences.

Thanks!

Mike

Huntsman Regal. I was at AOA back in June and they were on sale for $999. I picked one up to shouldered it, and it was awesome, the wood was also incredible, fit and finish was top notch. I kick myself for not buying one. I didn't buy one because I was buying a CF tank and didn't want to spend over my budget. I wish I did! Anyways, I had a AA S400 a while back and liked it, but hated the fill probe, the gun was decent though and never gave me an issue. I'd buy the Daystate in a heart beat and if they ever go on sale, I will buy one.

However, I did just buy a BSA R10 SE in .22 from AOA, should be here next week. It was a used gun, so we'll see how nice it is compared to others I've owned.

I have the Regal in .177 unregulated ( bought before they became factory regulated)and I cannot speak for the other 2 models you mentioned, and I love it. Shoots H and N 10.34 gn pellets the best. Factory moderator is horrible so I removed it and put a different one on. As far as cocking the hammer is not that strong on the 177 version, so cocking effort is minimal . If I lost this rifle tomorrow I’d go back with the same but may try regulated version.

Zeke

- I have the A/A S510 FAC. Thumbhole walnut stock. Stunning accuracy and looks. I changed the fill probe out for a standard foster. Mine is unregulated, and even in .25 it gets approx 35 shots per fill. I'd imagine in .177 you may easliy get to 50. For an unregulated rifle, you wouldnt know it was unregulated. Amazing consistency.

- A close friend has the Hunstman Regal in .22, regulated. I love it (too). Same insane accuracy, same insane looks. It's a tad lighter in weight then the A/A and shoulders great.

- I have not had hands on the HW100, i'm sure its a fine rifle that i'd really like.

Can’t add much. I have a regal and a RAW the RAW is too heavy for me to walk hunt with. The regal is probably one that every air gunner shown own. Never owned an FX but they have a pretty solid following and I’m thinking perhaps you might be making a lateral move rather then a step up no matter which you might buy. If you follow the forums the RAW is said to be built like a tank and the regal just a sweet looking and performing gun. Ive found that all true. A red wolf is a work of art. I shot an FX and I must say I thought that a fine rifle and the one I shot in 22 was stacking pellets at 65 yards. Some times we all just expect too much. What are you expecting as far as groups from your rifles?There isn’t a one of these guns that should not shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards. At least my 22 and larger cal guns do.

Fusion, I have a Regal in .22 non regged...one incredible carbine! I get 40 shots on a 235 bar fill, and is very accurate. I have a JSAR Raptor on the way and they just unveiled a Raptor mini and in .25 shooting @ 850fps they are getting 60 shots so in .177 with a 200cc reservoir should be many more shots FYI. You cannot go wrong with any on your list.

I think you might consider the Brocock Bantam. Daystate slingshot hammer, excellant magazines, one hole accuracy, almost 100 .177 shots per fill, dead nuts simple! I have one and use it for 25 meter matches and some varmints. Very quiet and even more so with a Donnyfl Tanto. shoots just about every pellet well but loves 10.3 JSB or AA"s. 70 and 80 yard kills are normal, 50 yard .50 " groups boringly standard. Variable power settings. Quality is there. Shoulder one and compare how it feels to the others. Just my .02cents...

I got a Huntsman Regal .177 in a trade, since May 21st I'm well into my sixth tin of pellets through it, it's unregulated, and not pellet fussy, with H&N 10.65's I get 70 shots from 800fps to 840fps to800fps from just under 200b to just over 100b, can get a lot more but greater ES. I've been VERY impressed with this gun, I have a Streamline .22 (love it) I do like the barrel support on the Daystate and the Regals stock feels nicer to me, I heard several people comment about not caring for the bolt type cocking, doesn't bother me at all, in fact I've been impressed with how well your hand flows from trigger to bolt and back, it's well designed, mag works great, and it most certainly has a more solid feel than the Streamline. I don't do much bench shooting but had no trouble getting pea sized groups at 25y, attached pictures are 30shots, 3full mags from sitting position at 25y, for the same money I myself would get a
1563485105_11682003275d30e3b11c9a00.46657225_0717191847.jpg
1563485106_4197742515d30e3b2114645.33774752_0717191846.jpg
Streamline, I
1563485237_18988413695d30e435c2e9a4.05637897_0521192005.jpg
prefer the Streamlines 3 power selections, but you won't go wrong with a Regal. Good luck with what ever you choose! BTW, Regal has a great trigger too!

Hi Fusion, I see your are another North Carolinian. I've owned all the rifles you are considering. They are all good rifles, and any one of them could meet your needs. Personally, I don't prefer the bolt action of the Regal, but, it's a great rifle. If you are willing to consider an alternative, look at the FX Royale 400. It meets my criteria of "one of the damnedest things I know". I have over 1,000 pellets through mine, just cleaned it the first time. The POI never changes, and the shot count is far superior to the Regal, and better than the others as well. I'm not an FX fanboy, had a Crown and sold it. But the Royale, that's the real deal.