HW100 moderator

Hey all — my HW100 carbine bullpup showed up from AOA today and I would like to put a DonnyFL on it. I have a Ronin on my Concept Lite and it is mouse fart quiet. The HW100 moderator is more like a “slap-PUTT-ppft-PIIiing” (to use an onomatopoeia) sound and can be heard at a small distance. Anyone know of an adapter? The HW100 looks like plastic baffles with some scrubby pads inside — “hair curlers and washers” Caliber on the exit hole looks like .25 or .30.

Concept Lite and HW100 bullpup carbine are both in .22; thanks!

350A10E8-23FE-4CDA-B13D-D48439AF92CF.1630367540.jpeg
37DF8B05-60B6-4751-9135-0D7CF3B11B99.1630367541.jpeg

I dunno, they both seem to use an exponential decay gas buffering model but a solid core moderator at least in my experience shows the contrary with respect to fluidity and laminar flow expressed as mechanical sound.

My threaded barrel measures 9 inches from action to threaded moderator fitting. Was thinking I could screw on a Koi or Sumo and avoid the gas pressure impingement sounded out as washer slap?

I just got done (10 minutes ago !) experimenting with my HW100 BP (carbine).

The factory suppressor, a 0dB, and a Donny Tatsu. I shot with each suppressor, three shots, same location, same pellets (FX 18.1) sound noted by ear only.

Loudest - factory, by a large margin. Just overall loudest. Interesting that it's also the longest. 7.0" x 1.17" dia.

Middle - 0dB. The 0dB and the Tatsu are close, but the 0dB has more of a "crack" to the sound. 4.61" lg. x 1.25" dia

Quietest - Tatsu, by the smallest, but noticeable margin over the 0dB. 4.24" lg. 1.98" dia.

I'd like to tame it even a little farther, without...adding 10" to the length of the gun ! It's a bullpup, bullpups are supposed to be short !

Mike

Thanks for your post Mike, everywhere I read, folks are talking about how great this suppressor is. Maybe it's just me but it seems much louder than what I am used to hearing. Oh well, I've removed the glue with acetone so I can at least disassemble the moderator for cleaning. I'm not 100% certain how to get the remaining part off the barrel unless perhaps I heat it. I guess I'll leave well enough alone and just enjoy the HW100 BPC without getting too far in the weeds around sound suppression. I'm a big fan of DonnyFL and was thinking perhaps a Koi would be nice on the HW100 BPC.

Thanks for your testing and shared results.

Thanks for your post Mike, everywhere I read, folks are talking about how great this suppressor is. Maybe it's just me but it seems much louder than what I am used to hearing. Oh well, I've removed the glue with acetone so I can at least disassemble the moderator for cleaning. I'm not 100% certain how to get the remaining part off the barrel unless perhaps I heat it. I guess I'll leave well enough alone and just enjoy the HW100 BPC without getting too far in the weeds around sound suppression. I'm a big fan of DonnyFL and was thinking perhaps a Koi would be nice on the HW100 BPC.

Yes, the silencer base is bonded to the barrel. I've had three of these rifles, and had to heat all of them with a torch to get the thing off. Regarding the performance of the Weihrauch moderator and the Donny, all I can say, my experience is different than mentioned above. I compared the HW with both the Donny Sumo and Tanto, and I found the Weihrauch to be the best, at least in my perception, but all were similar and very acceptable. 

Appreciated elh0102 -- I figure I'll just leave it as-is especially based on the feedback you've provided as well as general Internet-dorking I've done. Perhaps the shroud and DonnyFL on the Concept Lite has spoiled me with respect to expectations when it comes to sound suppression on the HW100 BPC. I'm not in a backyard friendly required environment so maybe I'm just chasing perfection.

Appreciate the advice on the heat as well.

I tried another DonnyFL. It's made for one of the FX rifle line (says FX on it). It's a similar diameter to the Weihrauch, and similar in length.

It's the loudest of the bunch, even louder than the original Weihrauch suppressor. Being so long, it really surprised me that it's so loud. I haven't taken it apart to check its internal design.

Looks like I'm sticking with the Tatsu, at least for now. The Tanto might be quieter.

As for removal, mine just unscrewed easily. It was...tight, but it had no thread locker of any type on the threads. Just nice clean threads.

Mike

Yes, the silencer base is bonded to the barrel. I've had three of these rifles, and had to heat all of them with a torch to get the thing off. Regarding the performance of the Weihrauch moderator and the Donny, all I can say, my experience is different than mentioned above. I compared the HW with both the Donny Sumo and Tanto, and I found the Weihrauch to be the best, at least in my perception, but all were similar and very acceptable.

Agree that the stock HW100 moderator is very quiet. Haven't compared it to any aftermarket versions but mine is almost silent.

Appreciated elh0102 -- I figure I'll just leave it as-is especially based on the feedback you've provided as well as general Internet-dorking I've done. Perhaps the shroud and DonnyFL on the Concept Lite has spoiled me with respect to expectations when it comes to sound suppression on the HW100 BPC. I'm not in a backyard friendly required environment so maybe I'm just chasing perfection.

Appreciate the advice on the heat as well.

It's also been my experience that the HW silencer outperforms my Donnyfls (Koi and Ronin). Not by a huge amount, but it's a pretty clear winner for me. I also think that you are right in your suspicion that the shroud on your concept lite is making a big difference in sound signature. If you were to put that same Donnyfl directly onto the bare hw100 barrel it'll likely sound very different to what you're used to.

If you do end up taking it off I'll be keen to hear what you find. Moderators can be super subjective, as well as better suited to some guns than others depending on the sound signature of the gun itself.

My top three personal ones so far are the huma mod40, the huggett astille plus and the HW silencer. Would love to see how the newer STO's perform, but it's tricky getting them here.

I tried heating it and removing it with a butane torch and was unable to get it to turn maybe more than a 1/16 of a twist. Could not tell if I were actually turning it at all or if it were the silicone grip slipping. This puppy is on very tight to the point that I suspect I would need to use a strap wrench to get it off. It seems to have some type of black/rubbery glue applied. It's a matte finish and doesn't look like RTV. Seeing as how I gave it 3 tries I think I'm going to quit while I am ahead -- especially based on the feedback here. I might be chasing a "problem" that doesn't even exist.

Just sent .22 14.3gr CPD down range and 14 of 14 at POA. Nice little rifle and quite accurate. I'm afraid if I apply any more force I'm going to be rotating the barrel inside the action itself or tearing stuff up. It's only 2 days old anyways. I put the "golden screwdriver" away for now :)

It'll come off, I promise. When the glue melts, it screws right off. But it takes a lot of heat, and you might discolor the bluing slightly on the metal end cap.

I just did a little comparison with a cheap sound meter, using my HW100 in .177. The Weihrauch averaged 67 dB, and the Donny Sumo 68 dB, so virtually identical. But more importantly, the Weihrauch removed all the pop, so the character of the sound has no rifle characteristic at all. If you are disappointed with yours, I wonder if they made a change in it?

Yeah I figured I didn't put enough heat on it but at the same time I'm just going to leave it be I guess. It's not that I'm disappointed so much as I guess I'm used to the Concept Lite with the shroud and DonnyFL. Wonderful little rifle and I figured some hair curlers, a few washers, and some padding was a bit "meh" compared to the machined core and metal screen with padding seen in the DonnyFLs.

Not having something to compare and contrast apples to apples with likely has lead me down the path of wrong assumptions :)