• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW underlever cleaning

Since the HW97 does not have a "beartrap," is there a safe way to have the action open and cocked while cleaning the barrel? It seems at least questionable to me to rely on the trigger sear to hold all of the spring pressure while cleaning the barrel, without a backup like a beartrap. Any ideas? Block of wood? Not only for the safety of your thumb or fingers, but also to keep from damaging the rifle should the sear let go.

I agree with beerthief about the Patchworm. They work well.

Last edited:
Reactions: coastal drifter
Since the rifle does not have a "beartrap," is there a safe way to have the action open and cocked while cleaning the barrel? It seems at least questionable to me to rely on the trigger sear to hold all of the spring pressure while cleaning the barrel, without a backup like a beartrap. Any ideas? Block of wood? Not only for the safety of your thumb or fingers, but also to keep from damaging the rifle.

I agree with beerthief about the patchworm. They work well.
A shim block of some kind is likely the only way.

I just clean my closed action and then open it to fire off a few fouling pellets.

You have to open the action to use a pull through like the Patchworm. I trust the beartrap mechanism enough on my Walther LGU and Diana 54 to keep the action open while using the Patchworm. I am thinking about making a piece of Delrin that would allow the action to be open on my 97 while threading the patchworm into the chamber and barrel.

Last edited:
I've made a slew of pull through cleaners mainly because i have a tendancy to lose them as quick as i can. I take heavy weedwhacker line and heat the end up with a lighter push it down to form a head on the end. Little smaller for the .177, little bigger for the .22 poke it through a patch and go. lucky for me it's a cheap way to go.

I've made a slew of pull through cleaners mainly because i have a tendancy to lose them as quick as i can. I take heavy weedwhacker line and heat the end up with a lighter push it down to form a head on the end. Little smaller for the .177, little bigger for the .22 poke it through a patch and go. lucky for me it's a cheap way to go.
home made patch worm

Reactions: JimBentley
I also use weed Wacker line, got tired of poking holes in the patch though. I fold the patch over the ball end, dip in balistol, and push it through from breech to muzzle.

Since the HW97 does not have a "beartrap," is there a safe way to have the action open and cocked while cleaning the barrel? It seems at least questionable to me to rely on the trigger sear to hold all of the spring pressure while cleaning the barrel, without a backup like a beartrap. Any ideas? Block of wood? Not only for the safety of your thumb or fingers, but also to keep from damaging the rifle should the sear let go.

How about a piece of pvc pipe cut to fit in the open breach, Possibly a slot to reach into it to retrieve a patch.

As @EquivalentDelta noted, a finger protector shim cut from a piece of broomstick, by example, is a good bet :)

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 19.28.35.png