• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW pellet preference

I've been shooting the JSB Jumbo (15.89 grain) in my HW95 and they've been very good. Kim started with the Crosman domed pellets in her HW50 because that's all we could get locally and the JSB Jumbo RS we ordered didn't get here with the gun. She's shooting so well with them I can't get her to try the JSB RS! Will see how they do in my gun eventually.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
My HW95 is a hair oversized. FTT 5.54's shoot best.
Seems you tend to see that in there .22... My gamo is also looser but shoots the cphp well.. crosman piranha are a more tighter and constant fitting in it then cphp , in .177 i think there a tad too tight in the r9.. got ta mash them in ..lol

Seems you tend to see that in there .22... My gamo is also looser but shoots the cphp well.. crosman piranha are a more tighter and constant fitting in it then cphp , in .177 i think there a tad too tight in the r9.. got ta mash them in ..lol
Seems to be pretty evenly split from surfing any number of forums. Some are like mine, a bit oversize and shoot 5.54's better. Some say 5.53's shoot just fine in theirs. I have both sizes and can use either one but the 5.54's fit just a bit snugger and shoot a bit smaller groups than 5.53's.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
My experience with 22 caliber Weihrauchs is limited to a few newer guns and barrels. None of them liked the JSBs. The RWS and H&Ns with their stiffer skirts made much better power and accuracy. My go to pellet on my recently rebarreled R1 is the H&N FTTs. 5.54s seem to be more accurate than the 5.53s. I'd like to try the 5.55s.

These H&N pellets did equally very well in an Hw30 I worked on and the Hw50 I used to own. Both guns were fairly recent models.

Can't vouch for older Weihrauchs.

All natural lead, all of the time.

My Hw R1 / 80’s vintage & current R9 shoot the H&N ftt 14.6 well as does my new HW 97. Ron Stearns who tuned these guns & many other HW rifles is the go to guy for recommendations on pellets for HW rifles. The quality of the HN product line is very high so these pellets are good, depending on your rifle. My TX 200 also shoots the HN very well.
If the Crossmans shoot well that is a bonus but tin to tin variations can be an issue.

Agreed Ron should be the go-to guy on H&N pellets for guns he's personally worked on, but I'd think he should be, since he very likely tested different pellets in yours and other owners guns after he did the work to see what shot best in them.
For guns he hasn't, he's in the same boat the rest of us are and while we can all suggest pellets based on what our own guns shoot well, what does for us might well not work for the people asking.
Random lame suggestion would be buy a tin each of the top 4 suggestions in the thread and start shooting for groups. It's what I did with mine and Air Arms Falcons actually ended up shooting the best in mine with the FTT 5.54's I mentioned above coming in very close 2nd. My only reason for switching to the FTT's was because I'm not paying the now $25.99 a tin PA wants for them...lol.

Reactions: Deerstalker