• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW 97 regular stock or thumb hole pros and cons

Fwiw (not much), I prefer a stock with a comb high enough for a scope and a thumb groove in the stock behind the end cap of the receiver. This allows the shooter to softly "pinch" the trigger between thumb and index finger to release the sear engagement. This technique was taught to me by four time WFT Champion, Nick Jenkinson, and keeps me from torqueing the rifle. This phenomenon has also been mentioned here by Don C. - who was a top FT competitor back in the day.

A t/h stock, on the other hand, will often cause me to pull a shot laterally if my hold is not totally consistent. Jmo. 

The regular stock is quite thick in the grip/wrist area and far better suited to those with larger hands. Also allows a thumb up holding as many like to shoot in target disciplines.

The thumbhole stock is quite thin in the grip better suited to smaller hands and does not offer any miens to hold thumb up.

Just an FYI

I had the same problem deciding but I got the KT. I was also trying to decide between the HW97 - HW98 & the TX200. I got the HW97 first but got a used 98 for $450 and the TX for $480. I wish I could have shot the 97KT before buying. It shoots good and now has a fac Vortek kit and Vac seal. I think making it an ambidextrous thumb hole stock was a mistake. It's not really a TH stock, there's no place for your thumb. I'm probably going to sand it down under my thumb so I can lay my thumb in as it should but I'm a little worried about matching the color but that's the only way I'm going to like it. Theses shots were at 50yds so I'm pretty happy with the gun but if you have small hands you really have to be aware of your thumb pressure. My index finger is 70mm and the Rowan Engineering set-back trigger helps. I have the straight set-back on my HW98. You don't have the long reach on the TX200 trigger and with the Tbt Maxi in my 98 and 200, both shooting about 12.4 ft lbs, I can do the pellet sitting on the scope thing and it doesn't move, very smooth. The 97 has been sitting since I got the last two and I'm rebuilding 2, FWB 124's right now but I'll finish that today and this has me thinking about working on that grip again.

Here's a photo of what I mean and how it affects my shooting.

1.1612048680.JPG
2.1612048714.JPG
Dave

Last edited:
After getting use to the grip my HW97 KT is my most consistent shooter. I relax my thumb and gently pull the gun back into my shoulder with my fingers. My TX200 is accurate but as with other guns I often have a slight POI shift. Groups are still tight but many times they are an inch off in some direction. I can pick up the hw97 after not having shot for weeks and it's always spot on.
I think I wanted to like the TX200 because it looks so good but the HW97 always amazes me with it's consistent accuracy.
My HW98 is a close second.

David

I just purchased the HWKT & I’m very pleased with the thumb hole stock which allows a comfortable full thumb wrap grip. To my it’s like shooting a pistol for lock up. Adjustable recoil pad is nice also.
I own 2 TX 200’s & a FWB 300 &I like a deep pistol grip stock. I am sure I’d like the standard stock but this option wasn’t available from Krale so I purchased the 97 KT from a member here on the classifieds.

I'd like to try the HW97 just to see if it works for me but I couldn't expect it to perform better than the 97KT. I like how the TX200 grip fits my hand but I've never shot any springer as well and consistently as the 97KT. I'm confident when I shoot the 97 so it's grown on me.
I have a smallish hand, with a 70mm/ 2 3/4" index finger and put a Rowan curved set-back trigger on my HW 97 & R1 and a straight setback on my HW98 but no need on the TX200, it's perfect.
The 97's cocking stroke is much easier for me than the TX200. I have to hold the TX straight up and bring the lever down with more authority or when I press the release after loading I find I haven't pulled it all the way when I cocked it and have to give it another pull to "finish" cocking before I can return the cocking lever. The auto safety doesn't engage when I cock it that way which I like but I learned to hold it up straight (sitting at a bench) and pull the lever all the way down a little quicker and harder. The lever seams to have to come back a little further on the TX than the HW.
Some prefer one over the other and many say it depend on what "fits" the best. They're both excellent guns but to me the TX "feels" heavier than the HW and I think they're about the same weight.

Last edited:
Just purchased a 97KT from Mundilar, arriving tomorrow or Monday. My first HW, super excited (have FWB's, Anschutz, Diana currently).

Owners have raved in other posts about the Rowan Engineering Setback Triggers - they make straight setback, curved setback, and curved extra setback. Idea is to move that trigger backwards, closer to your grip, for those of us who find reaching for the stock HW trigger uncomfortable. My guess is, some who find the KT thumbhole arrangement unwieldy might find that one of these setback triggers improves the feel and accuracy. At least that's what I read from others.

I'm going to purchase an extra-setback trigger, and a cocking lever handle. The latter attaches with 3 grub screws, but there are no shims in the description... Does this mean the grub screws tighten directly to the barrel? That would scratch the bluing, no bueno.

I got a kt last year from AOA, I had order a plain 97k, but they called and said their inventory was messed up and all they had was one KT in stock , and made me a good deal on it. It's ok, shoots good, just feels "different" when I first pick it up. It is not one I would want to carry, I think of it as more a bench type gun but that's just me. I prefer traditional stocks.

Reactions: jimk1963
Agree jkingrph, I shot a KT and immediately thought - bench rest! It's clearly not a hunting gun, way too heavy. For my money, nothing beats my FWB 124 or FWB Sport for going out in the field, they are the lightest and easiest-to-cock field hunters out there, and also way more accurate than any human. I'm thinking about a custom stock, the CS500, CS500 Skeleton, CS700, CS700 Skeleton. Thinking the skeleton versions might counteract the heaviness of the underlever design, compounded by a 27 oz Hawke Sidewinder + mounts + + +. I'll still use this pretty much exclusively for field target shooting and bench rest, so am hoping I can thread the needle on a usable kit. If I can find a good combo that works, I'll sell off the KT stock.

Reactions: fishing43
I have the black plastic thumbhole and it suits me Good,I shoot left handed and do not have little hands.
I got the LTD wood stock for it ,nice,but have not installed it yet....
If your 97 is a keeper ,remember you can get a very nice stock in various styles from the British stock maker LTD ,around $400 shipped,.

Reactions: jimk1963
Yes, and some people downplay the old FWB 124. Mine is almost 50 years old and I will never get rid of it. The new sport definitely has a better trigger and I do like the resettable safety, and that rear sight for a leaf open, unbeatable. I had a Beeman blue ribbon scope on my 124 for years but went back to an old Beeman/williams receiver sight, That gun just begs to be shot with irons, it handles so much better. I had thought that about the sport until I put a small Hawke Airmax on it and although a rather short range, ten meters was putting most pellets through the same hole It's outshooting some of the bigger more highly praised HW guns with bigger scopes, and feels better doing so.

I will probably keep my 97kt as a bench gun and leave it as is.

I have the black plastic thumbhole and it suits me Good,I shoot left handed and do not have little hands.
I got the LTD wood stock for it ,nice,but have not installed it yet....
If your 97 is a keeper ,remember you can get a very nice stock in various styles from the British stock maker LTD ,around $400 shipped,.
Thanks for the tip! I'm not familiar with LTD... can you provide a link or a full name? Googling "LTD" brings up every stock maker in the UK lol.