Tuning HW 95 Anyone using a short spring with great results… tuning thoughts and methods.

A.G.R

Jul 27, 2022
Usa
Ok, all you Hw 95 / R9 gurus ,let’s talk..
I haven’t had one in my possession to play with in 15 years .. That being said our friend Lewis told me I needed to play with one. Get to know it.

We discussed the deal and he promised me not to send me a 2x4 …. 😆

what I did get was a new HW 95 K . The bulbous muzzle break . 🤮

first thing I did was remove that useless pineapple and shroud it with a matching the breech block width shroud with some internal love.
157EF805-5876-4211-ACB8-F9C3AF874B91.jpeg
C4FE43DC-7F69-4369-8817-2423FC1FB586.jpeg
My question is what is one to expect from a .177 factory gun after and tin of pellets. It came with the typical 34 coil .120 x800 or so .. I don’t recall exact BUT IT WAS FACTORY BRAND NEW ..
It had spring buzz and twang bad and no matter how many tins you put through it it would not get better , guide was loose and no tophat at all
steel washer and liner.
it wasn’t shooting slow but was butter easy to cocking actually falling into the latch but over sprung none the less.
The Hw 95 is a tad longer stroke than the Hw 80 it’s compared to .. it’s as far from it as can be. Ones a short stroked big tube gun and the other is a long stroked small tube gun
Now it’s no secret that 25.mm x 100 mm is the most used platform . Every GAMO,crossman, China copy all share that platform. why ? it’s easy to get power with the platform and power sells…

The 26 mm x95 as it’s called is a bit more tricky. It’s only one mm bigger but that is worlds in air rifles..

I also have two Hw 80 I just tuned in .177 and .22.. wow 😮 they are user friendly if you do your homework..
short spring and minimal pre load as well as thinner wire with port work and piston work ,new seals and guides.

Thats another post

Anyways I was not keeping that stock set up , I put a 30 gram top hat on the factory spring to test the velocity gain and reaction of the spring. It gained a bit ,but at the cost of piston bounce .. ( I wasn’t planing on keeping it) .. yuk. BUZZZ. THHWAANG.
So my first test was with a tad bigger wire and smaller diameter I’d to fit the guide snug after .010 was removed. .125 x785
x 34 which is a tad smaller in wire than the famed Hornet spring which is .128 wire .. ANDalmost IDENTICAL TO THE HIGHLY TOUTED E 3650 spring EdCanoles praises..

It was a bit of preload but nothing I could not force down with out a compressor and twist the end on
The shot cycle was so over sprung that it was hard to shoot. Velocity was higher than hell

945 with H&N ftt 8.6 and 835 with Crossman 10.5 , this was not dieseling as a tin of pellets went through it. I HATED the gun.
Wondered how anyone would think this is good

This was odd to me as Vortek,ARH AND MOST USE A 34 coil .128 wire, and this was not pleasant. Now I can cock a air rifle but ,$@it wasn’t a walk in the park daily plinker at this point.
upon refiguring I did some re structuring .. I cut the spring down to 30 coils and added .400 in delrin spacers to get my stack . Left the factory piston seal in as well as no port work.

It’s night and day difference in every area, it’s very easy and liner to cock. it’s dead blow quiet and blasting 8.4 at 900 fps
recoil is minimum and this gun now can play.. like the “Brody”.

I have to get used to fingering these tiny sombitches.. I’ll blue the shroud to match and maybe machine the breech to match the chamber as well as custom stock now I like what I got..

oh yeah.. that HW80… another post in time.

Last edited:
I have a HW98 in .177 with an ARH UK kit shooting about 10.5 fpe. The kist has delirin too hat and guide with spacers. I find this combination to shoot accurately and allow for good follow through. It's intended as a target rifle out to 50 yards. At that range I can print 1" groups. I have a HW97 with a similar kit that is comparable in accuracy.

Reactions: A.G.R
I haven’t had one in my possession to play with in 15 years .. That being said our friend Lewis told me I needed to play with one. Get to know it.

first thing I did was remove that useless pineapple and shroud it with a matching the breech block width shroud with some internal love.
View attachment 418698View attachment 418699My question is what is one to expect from a .177 factory gun after and tin of pellets. It came with the typical 34 coil .120 x800 or so .. I don’t recall exact BUT IT WAS FACTORY BRAND NEW ..
It had spring buzz and twang bad and no matter how many tins you put through it it would not get better , guide was loose and no tophat at all
steel washer and liner.
it wasn’t shooting slow but was butter easy to cocking actually falling into the latch but over sprung none the less.
The Hw 95 is a tad longer stroke than the Hw 80 it’s compared to .. it’s as far from it as can be. Ones a short stroked big tube gun and the other is a long stroked small tube gun
Now it’s no secret that 25.mm x 100 mm is the most used platform . Every GAMO,crossman, China copy all share that platform. why ? it’s easy to get power with the platform and power sells…

The 26 mm x95 as it’s called is a bit more tricky. It’s only one mm bigger but that is worlds in air rifles..

I also have two Hw 80 I just tuned in .177 and .22.. wow 😮 they are user friendly if you do your homework..
short spring and minimal pre load as well as thinner wire with port work and piston work ,new seals and guides.

Thats another post

Anyways I was not keeping that stock set up , I put a 30 gram top hat on the factory spring to test the velocity gain and reaction of the spring. It gained a bit ,but at the cost of piston bounce .. ( I wasn’t planing on keeping it) .. yuk. BUZZZ. THHWAANG.
So my first test was with a tad bigger wire and smaller diameter I’d to fit the guide snug after .010 was removed. .125 x785
x 34 which is a tad smaller in wire than the famed Hornet spring which is .128 wire .. ANDalmost IDENTICAL TO THE HIGHLY TOUTED E 3650 spring EdCanoles praises..

It was a bit of preload but nothing I could not force down with out a compressor and twist the end on
The shot cycle was so over sprung that it was hard to shoot. Velocity was higher than hell

945 with H&N ftt 8.6 and 835 with Crossman 10.5 , this was not dieseling as a tin of pellets went through it. I HATED the gun.

This was odd to me as Vortek,ARH AND MOST USE A 34 coil .128 wire, and this was not pleasant. Now I can cock a air rifle but ,$@it wasn’t a walk in the park daily plinker at this point.
upon refiguring I did some re structuring .. I cut the spring down to 30 coils and added .400 in delrin spacers to get my stack . Left the factory piston seal in as well as no port work.

It’s night and day difference in every area, it’s very easy and liner to cock. it’s dead blow quiet and blasting 84 at 885 and 105 at 775

I have to get used to fingering these tiny sombitches.. I’ll blue the shroud to match and maybe machine the breech to match the chamber as well as custom stock now I like what I got..

I think Ed usually gets around 860 to 880 with the E3650, shooting 7.9 crosman premiers. But he also uses a O-ring piston seal. He shoots this combo very accurately.

View attachment 418698View attachment 418699My question is what is one to expect from a .177 factory gun after and tin of pellets. It came with the typical 34 coil .120 x800 or so .. I don’t recall exact BUT IT WAS FACTORY BRAND NEW ..
steel washer and liner.

Thats another post

It’s night and day difference in every area, it’s very easy and liner to cock. it’s dead blow quiet and blasting 84 at 885 and 105 at 775

What kind of tubing did you use to make the shroud?

I think Ed usually gets around 860 to 880 with the E3650, shooting 7.9 crosman premiers. But he also uses a O-ring piston seal. He shoots this combo very accurately.

I’m getting 880 885/with 8.4 Ftt .. I will eventually change to a Vac seal but why right now. the gun is to small to push it past this. It can but shoots like shat.
What kind of tubing did you use to make the shroud?

Metric hydraulic tube that I turn to size. NOT cheap .. I have a batch getting centerless ground now.

Reactions: bustachip
I’m getting 880 885/with 8.4 Ftt .. I will eventually change to a Vac seal but why right now. the gun is to small to push it past this. It can but shoots like shat.

Metric hydraulic tube that I turn to size. NOT cheap .. I have a batch getting centerless ground now.
Well it looks good, snug fit on the barrel and just butts up to the breech block, then glued on?
I don't have any break barrels, just curious how these shrouds attach.
I shoot under levers.

steel washer and liner.

Thats another post

Glad you are happy with the end result. Pre adjustment, you were at a very hot 16.7fpe and after tune you are about 14.7fpe, which is still pretty solid for the hw95 platform. I prefer closer to 12fpe for my hw97k, but many prefer the 14-15fpe power range 👍

R

It is a 85 mm stroke ..in 26 mm ..that is not a extremely long stroke but 5 mm is worlds in air rifles. Try stroking a gun 5 mm longer and see .. NOTHING will sync and guarantee the piston weight as well as port wrk will be needed.

The 77/ 97 are far different in a floating compression chamber. If you haven’t saw the insides
They also use a center port with shorter length. NOT EVEN CLOSE TO A hw95 ..

All cars have four wheels , that does makes them all equal. 🧐
You're wrong about the 77/97 also. I've been in plenty of them. It doesn't use a center transfer port. Other than that you're obviously much more skilled than I am, so I am humbly bowing out.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Reactions: bustachip