Hw 90 sear won’t engage piston

I forgot what it was. It's been a long time since I had one. There's a trick to putting the trigger guard on with the safety in a certain position. If not done right it often breaks the safety and or doesn't work right. I'd hit YouTube up with this
If that’s the case, put the safety in the forward most position.

Reactions: Mycapt65
If that’s the case, put the safety in the forward most position.
Have done everything that’s been listed so far. Sear will latch only if I cock the gun and manually move the safety forward. No trigger guard or stock is on the gun. Roughly 5 pounds pressure in the ram. Same issue without pressure. Has me stumped.

My r9 did this often when new. i could adjust the trigger adjustment screw all the je eay in and out and set it somewhere in the middle and the dafty pin worked normal. But if i tuned the trigger too hair it would not engage automatically as it should.
It seemed when i took the gun apart to clean and all i wiped off the pin and its spring with a spot of oil when reassembled i never had it stick again .
Maybe some factory gunk was not allowing free movement of somthing in the trigger assembly/safety (???)

Though it can be the way you got the trigger adjusted.. seems there several threads or threads with posts on this ...

Last edited:
Reactions: fishing43
Hmmmm... Looks like a thing with the 90 googling it around ..

Did your read this help yet? 2ed to last post page 2

contacted Hull Cartridge again and managed to talk to a gunsmith who then informed me that i had to drain all the air out of the ram before trying to refit the trigger guard,.......

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/weihrauchowners/hw90-t18224-s15.html

I aslo see the latest review at pa on this gun a guy has a like issue as well..

I doubt there's any serious issue with the gun. I had a similar problem awhile ago. It went away when I pulled and reinstalled the guard. I think it didn't seat properly and the safety was partially engaged, blocking the sear from dropping down to the piston.

Nowadays I install the guard as follows;
  • Pressurize the ram just enough to push the piston forward and out of the way. Maybe 1-2 strokes on the pump.
  • Cock the trigger, using a screwdriver. It's at 9:15 on the youtube video that Chuck-in-Ohio linked to.
  • Place the trigger guard assembly into position. Line it up using the screw holes. Now press the round safety button (not the safety reset lever). This will allow the assembly to drop past the safety. Then wiggle it some more to make sure it's seated. Lightly pull the trigger. You should hear a slight click and it will drop that last little bit.
  • Look closely at the guard, is it seated all the way around? It can fool you.
  • If unsure, pull the guard out and try again.
  • Install the screws.
Here's the full instruction from the Beeman RX/HW90 manual. It covers both disassembly/reassembly at the same time. So it's kinda confusing. I'm not sure why it says to uncock the trigger because you won't be able to put the guard back on unless the trigger is cocked. (See youtube video above). But their tip about holding the safety button is definitely correct.
  • Secure the rifle, upside down, by the barrel, in protected vice jaws.
  • Remove the trigger guard; this can be accomplished after removing front and rear trigger guard screws H2036 and H8942.
  • Apply Loc-Tite to the front trigger guard screw only when replacing.
  • When replacing the trigger guard unit, ensure that the safety retaining pin is in position; it is supposed to protrude a little for easy removal.
  • Next, make sure the trigger mechanism is not cocked. If it is, uncock it by pulling the trigger.
  • Now — VERY IMPORTANT — hold the safety button in the OFF-fire position (red showing) while positioning the trigger guard into its cut out in the stock and also while installing and securing the front trigger guard screw. If the safety is not held in the OFF-fire position it will bind on the sear (H2048a), and when the front stock screw is tightened, both parts could be damaged and/or broken.
  • After fully securing the trigger guard screws, ensure that the safety button moves freely prior to attempting to cock the gun. The safety is automatic and will only come to its full ON position once the gun is cocked. Only with the gun cocked can the safety be reset from OFF to ON using the safety reset lever (H2058).
  • Remove the stock by removing two H8940 screws, ensuring that you do not misplace their flat and lock washers (H2081a and H9283). When reassembling these washers, the lock washer goes onto the screw first. These screws must be treated with Loc-Tite when replacing and must not interfere with the cocking lever when secured. If they do interfere, more flat washers are required or the screw should be shortened.
Here's another tip. It's easy to uncock a HW90. It's similar to other Weihrauchs. Break the barrel, then pull it almost all the way back. Until it engages and compresses the piston just slightly. While holding the barrel, press the safety. Then press the trigger. That frees the piston. Now carefully ease the barrel back up to its straight position.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I doubt there's any serious issue with the gun. I had a similar problem awhile ago. It went away when I pulled and reinstalled the guard. I think it didn't seat properly and the safety was partially engaged, blocking the sear from dropping down to the piston.

Nowadays I install the guard as follows;
  • Pressurize the ram just enough to push the piston forward and out of the way. Maybe 1-2 strokes on the pump.
  • Cock the trigger, using a screwdriver. It's at 9:15 on the youtube video that Chuck-in-Ohio linked to.
  • Place the trigger guard assembly into position. Line it up using the screw holes. Now press the round safety button (not the safety reset lever). This will allow the assembly to drop past the safety. Then wiggle it some more to make sure it's seated. Lightly pull the trigger. You should hear a slight click and it will drop that last little bit.
  • Look closely at the guard, is it seated all the way around? It can fool you.
  • If unsure, pull the guard out and try again.
  • Install the screws.
Here's the full instruction from the Beeman RX/HW90 manual. It covers both disassembly/reassembly at the same time. So it's kinda confusing. I'm not sure why it says to uncock the trigger because you won't be able to put the guard back on unless the trigger is cocked. (See youtube video above). But their tip about holding the safety button is definitely correct.
  • Secure the rifle, upside down, by the barrel, in protected vice jaws.
  • Remove the trigger guard; this can be accomplished after removing front and rear trigger guard screws H2036 and H8942.
  • Apply Loc-Tite to the front trigger guard screw only when replacing.
  • When replacing the trigger guard unit, ensure that the safety retaining pin is in position; it is supposed to protrude a little for easy removal.
  • Next, make sure the trigger mechanism is not cocked. If it is, uncock it by pulling the trigger.
  • Now — VERY IMPORTANT — hold the safety button in the OFF-fire position (red showing) while positioning the trigger guard into its cut out in the stock and also while installing and securing the front trigger guard screw. If the safety is not held in the OFF-fire position it will bind on the sear (H2048a), and when the front stock screw is tightened, both parts could be damaged and/or broken.
  • After fully securing the trigger guard screws, ensure that the safety button moves freely prior to attempting to cock the gun. The safety is automatic and will only come to its full ON position once the gun is cocked. Only with the gun cocked can the safety be reset from OFF to ON using the safety reset lever (H2058).
  • Remove the stock by removing two H8940 screws, ensuring that you do not misplace their flat and lock washers (H2081a and H9283). When reassembling these washers, the lock washer goes onto the screw first. These screws must be treated with Loc-Tite when replacing and must not interfere with the cocking lever when secured. If they do interfere, more flat washers are required or the screw should be shortened.
Here's another tip. It's easy to uncock a HW90. It's similar to other Weihrauchs. Break the barrel, then pull it almost all the way back. Until it engages and compresses the piston just slightly. While holding the barrel, press the safety. Then press the trigger. That frees the piston. Now carefully ease the barrel back up to its straight position.

Good Luck!
Thanks Jay but the trigger guard install is not an issue. Appreciate everyone’s thoughts and help. Lewis is sending me another trigger block. Haven’t disassembled a trigger block yet but if the replacement works I need to see if something is broken in the old, fingers crossed.

Reactions: Hateful McNasty
I like how here he puts "without damage" here .

I like how here he puts "without damage" here .

Thanks Ron

Big thanks to Doc Lewis for sending me a new trigger. Can’t thank this man enough for always willing to help with a problem. Just a great person to buy from or seek a solution to a problem . New trigger works flawlessly, need to figure out what is wrong with the old one. Problem solved thanks Doc. Lewis