HW/Weihrauch HW 70 v. HW45

Both are Great Pistols but for Balance & Trigger the HW 45 is clearly the Best ! If you looking for another pistol and you don’t want to Spend $500 get a HW Black Shawdow (Beeman P5) has muzzle brake and has scope rail $299 at AOA ! Easy to cock and shoot all day ! I still have my P5 with reflex sight and HW 45 but sold my HW70 ! The HW 40 is also Great and very Nice Trigger but not the easiest to cock but makes up with Balance and light smooth Trigger!

image.jpg

Reactions: .20calguy and sjs
I have the hw75, my favorite, and a Beeman P3 on the way. That way I can have one with a red dot and the other with a scope. I also have a multi-pump and a couple of CO2 pistols but wanted to try a springer. So, I bought a cheap Diana P5 and I like it for the same reason I liked springer rifles, they are just plain fun to shoot. I am looking now for a second, higher quality springer and the two from Weihrauch are the ones I am considering. Thanks for the info and your impressions.

Reactions: .20calguy
Both pistols are spring piston, and the specs speak for themselves. Aside from looks, the 45 has a choice of two velocities. But, has anyone owned, or even just shot, both models. I would be interested in any comments, particularly the trigger quality of each and the feel and balance, as subjective as that is.
I owned both. I still have the HW70, but my HW45 belongs to a thief these days. I replaced the 45 with an HW75.

Although the 45 and 70, are both springers they're quite different in the way they cock and shoot.

The dual powers on my 45 weren't useful to me because the points of impact were so different.

My 45 was too powerful to shoot from a bench because of spring bounce, and it's effect on the point of impact, but if you gripped it with a two hand, thumb over thumb gipp, you could rest your whrists on the bag and replecate your offhand point of impact.

My memories of the 45 are that it was powerful, accurate, and a quality HW product.

The HW70 can be shot from a bag with consistant results. The triggers on both were excellent, and adjustable, however I began experiencing a trigger issue with the 70 that I have yet to resolve. The sear releases and it fires but an arm in the trigger doesn't always release causing the gun to be unable to cock until you pull the trigger again. I talked with one other that had this problem, but both of our guns were of earlly production issue. So....
Screenshot_20220314-072807_Gallery.jpg

I replaced the 45 with a 75, because they're essentially the same gun physicaly, but the 75 is recoiless. I prefer accuracy over power, so the 75 was a no brainer.
20210720_131544_IMG_1130.PNG

I hope that helps.
All the best

I have the hw75, my favorite, and a Beeman P3 on the way. That way I can have one with a red dot and the other with a scope. I also have a multi-pump and a couple of CO2 pistols but wanted to try a springer. So, I bought a cheap Diana P5 and I like it for the same reason I liked springer rifles, they are just plain fun to shoot. I am looking now for a second, higher quality springer and the two from Weihrauch are the ones I am considering. Thanks for the info and your impressions.
If you would like to go the other direction, that is, the el-cheapo deluxe direction, there's the Browning Buckmark. I bought and gave away a bunch of these. Its a crack barrel springer capable of shooting small targets at 25 yards, becase it comes equipped with a picatini rail for accessories. 👍
20230601_200801.jpg

If you have more than one your ready for company.
Lol

Reactions: sjs
The HW70 will out shoot the 45 all day long in the accuracy stakes, but the HW45 can hit 560 fps versus 460 fps for the 70 ...both when mildly tuned with OEM parts (not power sapping Tinbum kits, but mild fettling and mild piston weighting)

To my mind the HW70 offers an intermediate point between the comical recoil of the 45 hand cannon and the recoiless, but touch too low in velocity HW40, giving easy accuracy 9/10 ths of the SSP but a good 50 fps more oomph than the SSP stuff....I've had 470 fps out of one.
There is a video of a pest controller dropping 6 Pigeons in a barn with the scoped version of the HW70 ...
There seems to be 4 variants but all using the same power plant....as follows.

The Black shadow version with scope and barrel weight. A black version with no scope or barrel weight and a brown stock version which I favour. It's a nice Matt brown with a pleasing look to it when compared to the glossy brown version from years ago....also available as a Shadow version.
Kids probably prefer the all black version....most will probably go for the scoped version with brown stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modski66 and sjs
The HW70 will out shoot the 45 all day long in the accuracy stakes, but the HW45 can hit 560 fps versus 460 fps for the 70 ...both when mildly tuned with OEM parts (not power sapping Tinbum kits, but mild fettling and mild piston weighting)

To my mind the HW70 offers an intermediate point between the comical recoil of the 45 hand cannon and the recoiless, but touch too low in velocity HW40, giving easy accuracy 9/10 ths of the SSP but a good 50 fps more oomph than the SSP stuff....I've had 470 fps out of one.
There is a video of a pest controller dropping 6 Pigeons in a barn with the scoped version of the HW70 ...
There seems to be 4 variants but all using the same power plant....as follows.

The Black shadow version with scope and barrel weight. A black version with no scope or barrel weight and a brown stock version which I favour. It's a nice Matt brown with a pleasing look to it when compared to the glossy brown version from years ago....also available as a Shadow version.
Kids probably prefer the all black version....most will probably go for the scoped version with brown stock.
My HW40 is a bit quicker in fps than my HW70. The accuracy of the recoiles SSP is a given though.

It actually comes scoped if you do a search. It's not an outstanding scope by any means, but not bad.
My choice would be a red dot as you suggest but no reason to not scope a springer....pistol scope = long eye relief!

A HW70 running below the speed of a HW40 is a gun which need some attention.
OEM they will run in to 440 fps and get up as high as 470 fps with a mild tune.
Johnny Piston on here has one running 460 fps and shows you how to tune it.

Reactions: sjs