HW/Weihrauch HW 57…???

Hi Folks,
Can anyone tell me anything about the Weihrauch HW57?
It is an under lever, but I’ve ever heard of one.
I am familiar with the HW97 and the HW77 (I think those are the correct numbers) which are both under levers and are superbly accurate, but I know nothing about a HW57.
I have the opportunity to buy one, at what I think might be a good price… 🤔
Are they still in production?
How does it compare to the two other Weihrauch underlevers?
Many thanks,
Pete.

IMG_7100.jpeg

IMG_7099.jpeg

IMG_7098.jpeg

Reactions: bf1956
The 57 is a cool gun. Its very light and balances similar to the 50S. Mine has been excellent but there are plenty of people out there who have had accuracy issues with them. It seems to be a roll of the dice on these guns.

Aside from that the pop up breech is fun. It adds some character to the gun that you don't get from most modern break barrels. It does take some getting used to though and you need to follow a process to avoid bent skirts. Cock it, lock the lever back up, point the gun slightly downward, load a pellet, push the breech down, and shoot.

I purchased a HW57 .177 about a year ago. The pop up breech is the achellies' heel of a great rifle. Accuracy past 35 yards is a crap shoot. The pellets clip the barrel on entry and there goes a flier. There is no practical way to clean the barrel other than disassembly.

The HW57 is the only Weihrauch product that I have purchased that I would not recommend.

Reactions: crowski
I purchased a HW57 .177 about a year ago. The pop up breech is the achellies' heel of a great rifle. Accuracy past 35 yards is a crap shoot. The pellets clip the barrel on entry and there goes a flier. There is no practical way to clean the barrel other than disassembly.

The HW57 is the only Weihrauch product that I have purchased that I would not recommend.
Thanks Maxtrouble,
You make some valid points 👍🏻

I have two, a .177 and a .22, purchased last year from a gunshop somewhere up in New England. They were advertised as having been tuned and I believe it. Use pellets that fit the breech and it shoots good, in fact excellent. A little quirky loading, but fun. Weight and balance is excellent. I have Anschutz receiver sights on both and they balance and handle more like a nice bolt action rimfire, like my Win 52b or Ruger 77/22

Reactions: bf1956
I have two, a .177 and a .22, purchased last year from a gunshop somewhere up in New England. They were advertised as having been tuned and I believe it. Use pellets that fit the breech and it shoots good, in fact excellent. A little quirky loading, but fun. Weight and balance is excellent. I have Anschutz receiver sights on both and they balance and handle more like a nice bolt action rimfire, like my Win 52b or Ruger 77/22
Do the CPHP pellets work well in your 57s?

It was advertsied in UK gun shops as an alternative, lighter built 97 to replicate the thinking of what the 99 is to the 95. ...but it did not meet with anything like the same success.
The pop up breech bought with it a potential alignment issue, when compared to the direct into bore feeding of the 97 (unmatched for accuracy method) which it could not compete with beyond 30 yards.
It's fine as a medium range, lighter carry hunter, but I've never seen it used on the FT circuit which sort of tells its own story.
Bore inspection and cleaning is also something of a challenge.

Last edited:
I have been debating grabbing one of these frome krale as I like the lighter weight aspect of it and I have two rotating breech underlevers (BSA Superstar and gamo cfx) which I really enjoy over the sliding breech of the 97 etc, so the pop up breech loading looks interesting. I had one of the Chinese pistols with that pop up loading system and with the right pellets it was easy to load. I really don't like sliding breech rifles as i find them real finicky to load. I want one as a plinker and am aware it may not be super accurate as a breech loader.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I have been debating grabbing one of these frome krale as I like the lighter weight aspect of it and I have two rotating breech underlevers (BSA Superstar and gamo cfx) which I really enjoy over the sliding breech of the 97 etc, so the pop up breech loading looks interesting. I had one of the Chinese pistols with that pop up loading system and with the right pellets it was easy to load. I really don't like sliding breech rifles as i find them real finicky to load. I want one as a plinker and am aware it may not be super accurate as a breech loader.
How do you like that CFX? I've been debating one of the wood stock versions

I got one a couple weeks ago. Seems to shoot well at 10 yards so far. I just received an ARH hornet kit for it that Ill upgrade to at some point. To me it feels like an underlever hw50s. I got my he57 in .22 to compliment my hw50s in .177. I was intrigued by this rifle. So far I like it. If Im able to disassemble and it keeps it’s current shooting ability I will be very happy

Can someone with a bad 57 shoot a few pellets into a large bucket of water and snap some pictures of the results?
My friend and I bought HW57's a few years ago and they both shot like garbage. I think the main issue with this gun is the jump that the pellets have to make from the loading port to the barrel. I shot a bunch of pellets into water to confirm that this DID appear to be the case. I took pictures that show how uneven the pellets look after contacting the rifling. First contact is heavily dented followed by the opposite side with minimal contact. There are case where the pellets made the jump evenly [in-line with the bore], but this was not with any regularity. There are some pictures below.

Pellets 1.jpg

Pellets 2.jpg

It's too bad about this rilfle as the build quality and the feel of the rifle is SOOOOO nice. It's just the loading port that is a bit of a :poop:

I still wish they would make an HW97 the size of an HW57.

My friend and I bought HW57's a few years ago and they both shot like garbage. I think the main issue with this gun is the jump that the pellets have to make from the loading port to the barrel. I shot a bunch of pellets into water to confirm that this DID appear to be the case. I took pictures that show how uneven the pellets look after contacting the rifling. First contact is heavily dented followed by the opposite side with minimal contact. There are case where the pellets made the jump evenly [in-line with the bore], but this was not with any regularity. There are some pictures below.

View attachment 433744

View attachment 433746

It's too bad about this rilfle as the build quality and the feel of the rifle is SOOOOO nice. It's just the loading port that is a bit of a :poop:

I still wish they would make an HW97 the size of an HW57.
Thats exactly what I was looking to see. Thank you! I've been saying that too. Make a small piston 97K so you can keep the gun relatively HW50S sized and I will be one of the first in line to grab one