• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW/Weihrauch HW 57…???

I have an older model stock HW 57, 22 cal and there is a tight spot about an inch or so from my breech that is tighter than the crown, I blame that tight spot for the 57's lack of accuracy,,, rather than the pop-up loading port,,, just my opinion
I pushed a pellet from the crown back to the breech and found that spot was tighter than the crown 🤬
so that makes her a plinker instead of a hole puncher that her sister HW 50 (20 cal) is
but I am a fan of the pop-up as far as loading it and there is no chance of losing a finger tip

I have an older model stock HW 57, 22 cal and there is a tight spot about an inch or so from my breech that is tighter than the crown, I blame that tight spot for the 57's lack of accuracy,,, rather than the pop-up loading port,,, just my opinion
I pushed a pellet from the crown back to the breech and found that spot was tighter than the crown 🤬
so that makes her a plinker instead of a hole puncher that her sister HW 50 (20 cal) is
I would mark that spot on my cleaning rod and then go to town with some valve grinding compound and Kroil on a bore mop

Liking the pellet test post and agreeing with the findings ...my own experience.
I could not figure out why it would group then not, regardless of pellets.
Choosing dome heads because the domes suggested easier feeding to me and achieve superb accuracy in the Gamo Center pistol over and above that of Wadcutters (going against the logic of Wadcutters being potentially the most accurate, but not forgetting easier feeding of domes with loading gates) but the rolling breech of the Center sort of snicks into place and operates sideways on, possibly not affected by the mild recoil and proved faultless.
Maybe this is the key. Perhaps the sliding up and down breech of the 57 is lifting up slightly on firing, or any grease or pellet fragments getting below the sliding door. Not sure which and gave up.

Last edited:
Here is my target at about 10 yards for 5 shots. Hw57 .22 Didn't even clean the barrel cause I dont know how to yet. I dont know if the newest production are better than in the past but this is shot standing from a bipod. If not for my moving, probably one round .22 hole.

IMG_3518.jpeg

Here is my target at about 10 yards for 5 shots. Hw57 .22 Didn't even clean the barrel cause I dont know how to yet. I dont know if the newest production are better than in the past but this is shot standing from a bipod. If not for my moving, probably one round .22 hole.

View attachment 433969
Nice, there in lies another issue. I wonder if .22 handles the loading gate better and should be the preferred choice. My issues were with the .177

Nice, there in lies another issue. I wonder if .22 handles the loading gate better and should be the preferred choice. My issues were with the .177
Maybe. I dont know all that much about what makes an hw57 or any other air rifle shoot well or not with all the components working together. I read a few of the online comments about accuracy issues with hw57 but I thought it was a really cool model. It’s like a 50s but underlever with the popup. Enough reviews and vids on YouTube that I decided to give it a try hoping for a diamond in the rough. I just cant believe that a model would be made that has a lot of lemons. Any lemons should be replaced by HW as having to machine or modify is ridiculous . So far so good. If it performs well with a maccari hornet kit and a hornet seal in it I may have a new fave

Weihrauch full power spring units are my favourite by far compared to anything else including high end pcp. I like the feel and shooting them more than any other air rifle. I tried high end pcp with an impact m3. Sold it in a few months. Sprung a leak in the field and toast that day. Weihrauch was the saver. Any more power than a weihrauch I use my cz or browning .22 rimfire. WAY cheaper than pcp high end. Subsonic ammo still very quiet.

Last edited:
The HW57 is a great idea. I wish they would have made a scaled down 77/97 power plant. The tappet loading system kills the platform. My tappet is loose and has a lot of travel. I have soup can sized accuracy issues at 50 yards with mine.
It's hard to scale down the 97 much more. The sliding comp tube requires the receiver to be larger than a break barrel of the same piston size. The BB receiver doubles as the comp tube. They probably could scale it down a little if they went back to a 25mm piston. If they did that it would drop the power as well. The first 77s were 25mm piston but they were the same size receiver as the current 26mm models. Weihrauch would have to make a completely new design. I can't remember the last all new design from Weihrauch.

Reactions: maxtrouble