HW/Weihrauch HW 55 stock variations

That story of only 25 or less ever made in that combo may belong to the HW77 tyro imported by Beeman. How many of those have you seen ?
Anyways that is the story I got with mine from a very well informed collector with the goods and paperwork to back it all up.
I have that rare 1077N out of the Beeman/Santa Rosa/Catalog/1991/HW77 Tyrolean
Not about the 77 nor any documentation I have ever seen. Even the Blue Books specifically mention the 25 (for the 55) and less than 25 (for the R1) but no mention to any other production numbers for 77 or any other. P.S. I have also owned a 77 T in .20 but parted with it.

I don't know how many Beeman-marked HW 55 Tyroleans were imported, but if it was only 25 then I have seen a freakishly large percentage of them in person! And I own one. So I tend to think it was more.
Quoted in Blue Book of Airguns for numerous volumes, 25. Out of the less than 25 for the R1 I own 2 and seen a few others throughout the years.

Reactions: dpauld
Mike Driskill
Another 55 post for us to drool over. Lol Matt S....incredible as always. Mike T.....gorgeous 55Ts!!! DMM.....spectacular collection!!

I've seen all but the DST version here. Let me correct that. Lol

20230417_184503.jpg

20230417_184856.jpg

Attachments

• 20230417_184425_01.jpg
    20230417_184425_01.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 13
Hi Gents,
I am just getting interested in HW springers, and there are some gorgeous ones in this thread for sure, but please educate me as to what makes the 55 so desirable above other HW’s?
I notice it has a strange lever on the side of the breech, is that to load a pellet?
Many thanks,
Pete.
The HW 55 was a dedicated target rifle, made from Weihrauch's earliest days in the early 1950's, to the late 1990's. The action is based on the old HW 50 sport rifle (which is about the same size, but much different in detail, from the current gun of that name).

Changes from the 50 to the 55, besides the stock, were a weaker target spring, some minor refinements to the trigger, match sights, a locking breech, leather piston and breech seals, and several other minor details. The lever is the adjustable latch that locks and unlocks the breech - see photos below.

You can google up a lot more pics and info on the HW 55, on this forum and elsewhere. Danny Garvin's "Vintage Airguns Gallery" is always a great place to start for any classic airgun:

IMG_1761.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

Last edited:
The HW 55 actually has TWO breech latches...there is a small auto detent built into the standing breech face that will hold the barrel closed while you operated the locking lever, but it is not rigid enough by itself for accurate firing.

The old HW 50 has a receiver tube that is 30mm in outside diameter, and its rear section was threaded in, similar to the current larger HW actions (the HW 35, 77, 80, and 97 use a 35mm tube). The new 50's tube is also 30mm diameter with the same screw spacing - it will actually fit in the old stocks. But the similarities end there: the current model's tube walls are thinner so that a larger-diameter piston seal can be used; the tube is all one piece with no threaded rear; the barrel is shorter and heavier; and the trigger module is accessed by small plugs allowing a longer piston stroke than the old threaded rear.

Some other HW 55 threads of possible interest...

How to adjust the breech latch:

A long general discussion with many interesting comments:

A Weihrauch factory brochure...from 1959:

Last edited:
OK, I have a Question. Does the HW55's barrel have a ball detent that it locks into???, And then the lever locks it even further?
Scroll waaaay down, to post no. 34 in this old thread, for an illustrated explanation of the HW 55's breech details: