HW 50S .20's and Tight Grooves

There was a batch of .20s being made especially for AOA and I dived in to get one and then follow up with another--Basically to dedicate one to iron sights and the other a Swarovski Z3 3-9X 36mm variable rifle scope.

They both shoot now and perhaps forever the JSB 13gr Exacts and both are sighted in at 25 yards. I have to sort of dial down the power on the Swarovski scope to eliminate the fuzziness of image in CLOSE (25 yards) range to around 5X or so and either rifle is always shooting fine.

I noticed that the barrels drilled .20 make inserting .20 pellets a bit resistant due to tight grooves, chamber area and so I do have to make sure they seat all the way every time and they do with the same resistance for each pellet.

So either rifle, the one serial numbered 2325025 is open sighted: and the other one serial numbered 2329631 has the serial numbered Swarovski scope MA8240672 (Z3 3-9X 36mm).

I think the reason these particular .20 rifles are so ACCURATE is because the bores are freshly customized to use a .20 and when HW made their LATEST HW50 in .20 THEY WENT AN EXTRA MILE! 

Who else here has a new model HW50S with the new stock design?

How accurate are YOUR .20s in the HW50S? Compared to the regulars in .177/.22?

I have one. I also have a Beeman 97K in .20. The Beeman loves the jsb 13.73. The 50 seems to like the H&N ftt 11.42 a little better. The jsb's seem a little too tight going into the bore of the 50. I am going to do some more testing though to see if my initial decision about the ftt's still holds true.

I can't prove it, but I think there needs to be a happy middle between being too tight and too loose. The ftt just seems to be there in my 50. Those are the only two air rifles I own.

I had two HW50s in .177 and .22 and those would indeed be the "new" versions brand new some years ago!

The .177 was given away and then I gave away the .22 to another who needed one. He reported on the .22 HW50S I gave him on another forum.

After having tried the new .177 and .22 versions of the HW50S and giving them away I was thinking about how the .22 was actually a good performer but I had other .22s I could use.

But the HW50S in the new stock variation calibered in .20 was a limited run and I bought one in the middle of AOA selling them out and got their last one when they got to the last one.

I am that interested in the .20 HW50S.

I do not shoot groups or clusters of pellets,

I stand offhand forever hitting 25 yard Silver Dollar size reactive paddles to my shooting with all and every air rifle I've ever owned.

Grouping groups at a rest is just an art for that position. Shooting on target in the field offhand is my way of knowing which rifles are consistent and which are not.

Kindly,

Personally have been shooting HW BARRELS in .20 cal for about 6 years now. Up until @ 3 years ago you could get HW blanks from the UK threw SILCO Sports.

This all ended in @ 2018 there about where the UK for reasons unknown QUIT selling any AG barrels, some parts and pieces to the USA.

Never found a source for actual HW blanks out of the greater EU sense that time.

My point .... HW .20's simply are OUTSTANDING barrels with the JSB 13.6's & many other pellets too.

The 7 State, 1 National, 1 GP titles under my belt have ALL been shot in .20 cal with the HW barrel & JSB combo. THEY SHOOT that well !!!!

LW .20's do pretty well also, tho the HW's are consistently better yet in my years of fooling with them and the .20 caliber.

Scott S

Personally have been shooting HW BARRELS in .20 cal for about 6 years now. Up until @ 3 years ago you could get HW blanks from the UK threw SILCO Sports.

This all ended in @ 2018 there about where the UK for reasons unknown QUIT selling any AG barrels, some parts and pieces to the USA.

Never found a source for actual HW blanks out of the greater EU sense that time.

My point .... HW .20's simply are OUTSTANDING barrels with the JSB 13.6's & many other pellets too.

The 7 State, 1 National, 1 GP titles under my belt have ALL been shot in .20 cal with the HW barrel & JSB combo. THEY SHOOT that well !!!!

LW .20's do pretty well also, tho the HW's are consistently better yet in my years of fooling with them and the .20 caliber.

Scott S

Scott S,

I have never had the accuracy offhand with a "light sporter" such as the HW50 in any caliber until the .20 was available.

The first one was when about halfway through spiral groove and another on another network requested these particular "cut away" buttstock modern HW50s. But changing the stock did make the sporter easier to handle offhand. I realized since I already had a number of .20s the next logical thing was to dedicate an HW50S .20 to iron sights and another to a dam good scope like my best the Z3 Swarovski.

The zeed scoped rifle is precision at 25 yards while the iron sighted dedicated rifle is precision in irons TO 35 yards or so (the scoped one is good for as far as I dare to shoot!). My eyes are good with the right iron sights but many times the scope is the better option for my air rifles just to INCREASE their ranges.

I have a .22 HW35E Blue with Leupold 3-9X 33mm w/parallax adjustment from many moons ago on it and it is dead center all the time but the rifle, the HW35E, is 8.4 lbs WITHOUT scope while the HW50S .20 with Swarovski is LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT and yet steady in an offhand hold.

These two .20HW50s are indeed the "Light Rifles" I'd always take with me to do varminting which requires extreme precision. I trust them.

Thank you, Scott, for commenting.

I always appreciate your wisdom in any forum and I also know you tune rifles professionally.

Although I have only two "tuned" rifles out of my entire collection (D54 .20 Hector Special and .177 HW30 Vortexed) I know when a rifle is professionally tuned it is better than it was in the box.

Kindly,

There was a batch of .20s being made especially for AOA and I dived in to get one and then follow up with another--Basically to dedicate one to iron sights and the other a Swarovski Z3 3-9X 36mm variable rifle scope.

They both shoot now and perhaps forever the JSB 13gr Exacts and both are sighted in at 25 yards. I have to sort of dial down the power on the Swarovski scope to eliminate the fuzziness of image in CLOSE (25 yards) range to around 5X or so and either rifle is always shooting fine.

I noticed that the barrels drilled .20 make inserting .20 pellets a bit resistant due to tight grooves, chamber area and so I do have to make sure they seat all the way every time and they do with the same resistance for each pellet.

So either rifle, the one serial numbered 2325025 is open sighted: and the other one serial numbered 2329631 has the serial numbered Swarovski scope MA8240672 (Z3 3-9X 36mm).

I think the reason these particular .20 rifles are so ACCURATE is because the bores are freshly customized to use a .20 and when HW made their LATEST HW50 in .20 THEY WENT AN EXTRA MILE! 

I don't have any personal experience with the HW50s. Since you have also tried out the .177 and .22 versions as well, how does it compare to other weihrauch rifles like the HW35e or the HW98?

I don't have any personal experience with the HW50s. Since you have also tried out the .177 and .22 versions as well, how does it compare to other weihrauch rifles like the HW35e or the HW98?

All the way from Greece! Hello!

HW35e rifles are superb! They never fail with the action in my experience; however, 3 of my 4 HW35es had mushy triggers I had to spend hundreds of pellets to "finesse" the acme.

Now that ALL of my HW35e's in silver and blue (.177 and .22) are sighted in with the bead iron u notch only one remains with a scope and that is the very old .22 HW35E I got from AOA after I got my first one the Silver .177.

The Silver came first and is accurate and high velocity beyond "normal" velocity in .177.

The Blue .22 came SECOND to me but the rifle is DATED much much older than the .177. This one came with a mushy trigger I really had to work hard and sweat over to "get right".

The HW98s: whether the older version I have in .20, or the newer versions in .177 and .25 are impeccable. Truly, truly, I say to you, the HW98 ends it. No more discussion until you have owned and shot one. And if you gave it up it was your fault and not the fault of the rifle--I say it wasn't properly used offhand to find out how accurate it actually is to 0 yards or more! All you need is a pellet the rifle likes (the HW98 will take ANY pellet and make it perform).

I got the HW50s in .20 LATELY during the world wide virus in 2020 nobody seemed very interested in them except a few but I was hooked on .20 with a my experiences using it in many models of air rifles since the Blue Streak in the 70's.

My feeling after these experiences and others the HW50S was meant to be carried as a light rifle alternative to heavy rifles in real hunting and stalking conditions. The HW50S in .20 today is the easiest rifle to pick up out the door into the forest or plains or pastures. I love it! .

I like .20!

All the way from Greece! Hello!

HW35e rifles are superb! They never fail with the action in my experience; however, 3 of my 4 HW35es had mushy triggers I had to spend hundreds of pellets to "finesse" the acme.

Now that ALL of my HW35e's in silver and blue (.177 and .22) are sighted in with the bead iron u notch only one remains with a scope and that is the very old .22 HW35E I got from AOA after I got my first one the Silver .177.

The Silver came first and is accurate and high velocity beyond "normal" velocity in .177.

The Blue .22 came SECOND to me but the rifle is DATED much much older than the .177. This one came with a mushy trigger I really had to work hard and sweat over to "get right".

The HW98s: whether the older version I have in .20, or the newer versions in .177 and .25 are impeccable. Truly, truly, I say to you, the HW98 ends it. No more discussion until you have owned and shot one. And if you gave it up it was your fault and not the fault of the rifle--I say it wasn't properly used offhand to find out how accurate it actually is to 0 yards or more! All you need is a pellet the rifle likes (the HW98 will take ANY pellet and make it perform).

I got the HW50s in .20 LATELY during the world wide virus in 2020 nobody seemed very interested in them except a few but I was hooked on .20 with a my experiences using it in many models of air rifles since the Blue Streak in the 70's.

My feeling after these experiences and others the HW50S was meant to be carried as a light rifle alternative to heavy rifles in real hunting and stalking conditions. The HW50S in .20 today is the easiest rifle to pick up out the door into the forest or plains or pastures. I love it! .

I like .20!

Hello there!!!

The reason why I'm asking is because with all the choices available out there I feel a bit overwhelmed. So far the three contenders on my list are the hw35e, the hw80 and the hw95 (luxus version, or the 98). Caliber will most probably be .177 since it is plentiful around here. .22 is also nice, but I think that it would be best suited for hunting and hunting with air guns is prohibited here. However I will also check out the .20 caliber options that are available. 

The only thing that got me a bit worried at first was reading about various problems with some hw rifles, but truth be told, problems may arise no matter the platform used.

Best regards from Athens!!!