HW 45 optics

Merry Christmas everyone, I have a new hw45 coming this week. I am curious about what if any optics people mount on it.

I have noticed a couple of mentions that the dovetail is wider than normal, is this true? I have no trouble with open sights but

I thought a red dot sight might give me a little more accuracy at distance. Any way I am excited to get it and any advice is appreciated.

It has a 13mm dovetail, wider than the regular 10-11mm ...requiring care when picking your scope mounts.

The gun benefits from the weight of a scope mounted quite forward to kill muzzle flip. Even known some shooters to add extra mounts around the forward tube to add additional weight. With pistols its always best to add sighting aids (unless competitive target shooting) as you remove the limited sight base distance that hampers a pistol, when compared to a rifle.

You do not want to exceed 2x20 when choosing your scope as its hard to steady 4x with only 2 holding points, plus your range is usually shorter, removing the need for higher mag.

If you can get hold of a Simmons 2x 20 compact, or more expensive Leupold you will be much more impressed with your rig than those fitting the BSA Edge. Sight in at about 12 yds and you will have no need to adjust the sight between about 6 yds and 18 yds where most of your shots will be taken...

Hello RonnieD,

I chose a low profile Bushnell 3moa red dot and a BKL dovetail-to-Picatinney riser mount to add mass. I had to take the clamp screws of the mount out and put them into the alternate holes temporarily, to wedge the dovetail clamp exta wide. This mount is designed to bend open and closed, with torque on the screws. Be sure to apply antiseize paste to the screw threads before working with this mount; steel screws with easily strip out the aluminum female threads.