HW 30s ..Now I Get It !!!!!

"JoeWayneRhea"I'm looking for a replacement now ...Maybe a 35 , or maybe a 300s if I can find a nice one . I'm sick that the HW30 didn't work out
Hey Joe, (reminds me of that jimi Hendrix song "hey joe" , "what you doin with that gun in your hand "LOL
I CALLED Airguns of arizona, that is where I got my HW30s. 
Free shipping on that gun, even when on sale. 
Lifetime warranty from AOA. 
ANY problems they fix it. 
I would try another from them, cause that little gun is a keeper. 
Just my opinion
raf

Joe, take a look at the Xisico XS25 with full $100 tune at Flying Dragon Air Rifles. Fit and finish are quite nice but not as flashy as the HW line up, but the gun is only $125, total $225 shipped to your door. Mine .22 cal shoots the HN Terminator,16.1 gn at 698 FPS average with ES of 11 FPS. Do not buy without full tune. I had an Hw50s and loved it till it started to shoot two groups in ten shots. Shipped it back. I'm convinced that every springer needs a full tune and new seal to perform as designed. Just too little quality control at the factories. Give Mike a call and talk with him. Happy hunting on your next springer. Forgot to say, I have over 700 shots thru the XS25 so far. Stupid accurate out to 30 yards, and 2 inch groups at 45. If I want to shoot further I pick up my Marauder or Condor SS.

I know this is kind of late since you sent yours back, but hopefully it helps someone else.

I had a similar issue with my HW30 around the same shot count. I drove my self crazy trying to diagnose it and didn't nail it down till I took a month break and revisited it. It was barrel pivot screw tension. You often hear 'set it so the barrel just stays in place at 90deg'. This was too tight and I had to set my 30 to 'just falls down under its own weight. Even adjusted optimally, it seems somewhat sensitive to how hard you close the barrel. You want to be as consistent as possible.

The impression I get is that the ball detent is a weak point of the design and makes the gun very sensitive to pivot screw tension. Yes, I definitely wish they made one with a chisel, but it's still worth it with the ball!

Sorry to hear you had a problem with the HW30. I had the same thing happen several years ago with mine but was way out of warranty. My Grandson had done a slam close on it and everything went south after that. I went ahead and did the work myself and corrected the locking ball spring with a heavier spring. The tension on the lock up is critical and took a little reworking of the pivot as well. Since the work the little rifle has been the first rifle they grab off the rack when we go out to shoot. Easy to cock and accurate for the youngsters. When they start getting tired we grab the CO2 rifles or the PCP's. The two of them have literally shot all day long over the two day weekend. What a great way to spend time with them.

Just saw your FWB pictures...man that is sweet...

Honestly that wasn't my last HW for sure !! I had a really nice 35 in my sights a few weeks ago and was 5 minutes late calling about it ....CRAP. :)
I got a guy on the look out for another nice 300 mini. They all shoot great but I'm looking for one if those " oh wow" type rifles . I got what I think is a cool idea for a stock if its in rough shape like my last one before I refinished it.

I guess the reputation is still good enough for the HW30 that Weihrauch doesn't feel pressured to update the design, but it sure would be nice to see a chisel detent on one. Maybe someone will sell a modded barrel assembly. Even the ball would work a lot better if they put a real stiff spring in there to start with. The crimp retention is a major bummer for self-service.