• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

HW 30s ..Now I Get It !!!!!

Nice shooting Joe,
congrats on your new HW 30s. 
Just got my first springer, a HW 30s!
Can't wait to break her in. 
I am going to use the iron sights for awhile, as far as I can see the target. 
My eyes ain't what they used to be, but, I have alot more patience now, so it may balance out. 
I am addicted to anything that shoots, especially airguns. 
Did you get to clean the barrel, was wondering how much oil they put down there to prevent rust. 
Any dieseling?
I was wondering how it shot off a rest, cause in the instructions it specifically says to not shoot off a bench rest because it will effect accuracy. 
Your shooting proves that statement wrong. 
Did you get the inserts for the globe in the piece of cardboard paper hanging off the trigger?
what kind of scope did you get?
Best of luck. 
raf

No I left the barrel alone ( I don't have a 177 bore snake ) . It deiseled just a little but not bad . I didn't even try the open sights I mounted a new Bushnell 2-7 AR scope . It's got like trajectory dots I think is what they are called . It shot incredible for about 250 shots or so then got very erratic . Frustrated the hell outta me !!!
I've never broke in a springer so I wasn't ready for that :) I've got just over 700 shots in it now and it's settling back down .
Yeah I just shot it like I would any PCP rifle off the bench . it recoils very little , I'd describe it like the recoil of a 10/22 . I didn't use a artillery hold or nothing . But when it started opening up I did but it didn't help . I called up a buddy who knows springers and he said just keep shooting it and it'll settle back down ,he was right .
I took it outta the stock and adjusted the trigger and put some grease on the spring and lubed it up after about 500 shots . Don't fret if it has growing pains for a bit . Mine went from easily dime size groups to volleyball size before settling back down . I can give you one tip I learned off the rest ...set the bottom of the recoil pad in the middle of the rear bag so when gun recoils it won't slide . Probably not text book but it's working for me . I didn't take more pics but it's shooting well enough to hit the pushpins holing up targets almost every shot at 30 yards . I don't like shooting paper because it tears and makes it hard to see where all the pellets actually hit . I just shoot pieces of scrap plywood that I nail to a target frame . Your gonna love the gun !!!!

Nice shooting and rifle, Joe! You can get a pull through crown saver from AOA or Tim at MAC1. It's a heavy cord in a plastic sleeve with a T handle.
You push the loop end down the muzzle till the end pops out the breech and pull patches through. If the gun has been dieseling carbon can build up in the bore and mess with your accuracy. I once had a cheap springer that dieseled so much I had to clean the bore every 100 shots to get the carbon out. It took a lot of pellets before that went away!
John

"JoeWayneRhea"No I left the barrel alone ( I don't have a 177 bore snake ) . It deiseled just a little but not bad . I didn't even try the open sights I mounted a new Bushnell 2-7 AR scope . It's got like trajectory dots I think is what they are called . It shot incredible for about 250 shots or so then got very erratic . Frustrated the hell outta me !!!
I've never broke in a springer so I wasn't ready for that :) I've got just over 700 shots in it now and it's settling back down .
Yeah I just shot it like I would any PCP rifle off the bench . it recoils very little , I'd describe it like the recoil of a 10/22 . I didn't use a artillery hold or nothing . But when it started opening up I did but it didn't help . I called up a buddy who knows springers and he said just keep shooting it and it'll settle back down ,he was right .
I took it outta the stock and adjusted the trigger and put some grease on the spring and lubed it up after about 500 shots . Don't fret if it has growing pains for a bit . Mine went from easily dime size groups to volleyball size before settling back down . I can give you one tip I learned off the rest ...set the bottom of the recoil pad in the middle of the rear bag so when gun recoils it won't slide . Probably not text book but it's working for me . I didn't take more pics but it's shooting well enough to hit the pushpins holing up targets almost every shot at 30 yards . I don't like shooting paper because it tears and makes it hard to see where all the pellets actually hit . I just shoot pieces of scrap plywood that I nail to a target frame . Your gonna love the gun !!!!
Thanks Joe, for the advice,
I finally got some time and cleaned my HW 30s with the Napier pull thru, worked well, maybe a little too long, but it only took about 8 or 9 patches to come out clean. 
No dieseling, shot off hand, first hundred felt great, diwn in the basement range. 
She feels so balanced in my hands. 
I love this little gun, well maybe not as much as my powder burner Browning SA22LR, but then again, for a springer, it is really such a different feeling. 
I am gonna shoot thrubthe sights for a bit, then try a scope, should be amazing. 
I agree, Joe, those paper targets, after very not too many shots, you cannot see how you are doing. 
I gotta use them in the basement, cause I use a silent ballistic puddy trap. 
At 2.50 each at staples, it is starting to add up. Still much cheaper and easier than shooting powder burners at the range. 
raf

"JoeWayneRhea"RAF I hate it but had to send mine back ..The spring under the ball bearing was too weak and barrel stopped locking up right after 500 or so shots . Luckily PA takes them back for 30 days . Most accurate springer I've ever shot till that happened
I had the same problem on a hw30 in .177 that I purchased as a gift last year.

Inconsistent barrel lockup really does play havoc with accuracy.

Disappointing that after so many years HW would ship out guns with such a careless defect. 

A tuner installed a stronger detent spring on my R7. After probably 100,000 shots, the lockup and accuracy remain excellent. 

R

"JoeWayneRhea"I'm looking for a replacement now ...Maybe a 35 , or maybe a 300s if I can find a nice one . I'm sick that the HW30 didn't work out
Joe,
sorry to hear about your HW 30s. 
Very surprising after all I've heard is great reviews. 
You're very fortunate that PA will take it back.
I love this gun so much, if it happened to me , Id just end up buying another one. 
This is the perfect first springer, for me atleast. 
I dont even think I'd get time enough to shoot 500 rounds before the months up. 
Raf

RAF I shoot a lot when I get a break from work . And it was So Easy to cock and shoot it was like a PCP that didn't need a tank :) Yeah it shot incredible for first maybe 400 shots then I noticed the ocassinal low flyer , I wrote it off to breaking in a springer .....Then it happened more and more and it was never anywhere but straight down and I started questioning that maybe it was screws,scope rings, all the usual suspects.... And I called to inquire about a FWB 300 and mentioned the Gremlin I was seeing and the guy said he had same happen and what it might be ....couple calls and some emails later I find out if I try and fix it , warranty is voided . So with the 30 day thing hanging over my head I just called PA and shipped her back .