• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Hello. I am a new member from California (sorry). I have enjoyed air rifles in the past before I was smitten with 45-70 and other PB. I enjoyed my Diana 34, 350, 48 and a previous HW-30. They were all tuned by John in PA and brought great pleasure. Then I impulsively sold them and have enjoyed the PB till California has so regulated the purchase right down to the ammo. I have recently become re-inspired to be able to 'quietly' enjoy the shooting sport from home and return to the fold of air rifles. To that end I have just purchased from AOA a 'used-new' HW-30s with stainless finish that they have taken out of the upgraded stock and put into the 'blah' stock. You will see them on their website today if you look for a very nominal price though they don't inform you of the stock change (they should have been more forthcoming without me making a confirmatory phone call). To their credit, it's already in transit for a tomorrow delivery and they were pleasant and patient on the phone. I ordered JSB Exact 7.33 RS which, as I understand, tends to be a favorite for the 30.

Now to my question. There appears that there are a couple of occasional 'problems' that may crop up with the HW-30/R7. One is galling....which some people opine has been corrected by Weihrauch. Is that true. Then, some have stated that the galling correction was some form of a plastic sleeve added by Weihrauch. Is that true? Then I read that the second problem with the HW-30 occasionally is the lock up failing with the detente ball not fully engaging (tested with the tissue test). Is this true and common? There was some comment that maybe the galling plastic sleeve may add insult to injury with the barrel lock up detente issue.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Having had a 30 in the past....you see what I returned to. My main enjoyment will be under 30 yard plink, squirrel and target 'out the backdoor' with neighborhood silence (tehehe). 

I have owned several R7’s. One galled very badly and also had a problem with lock up. If your guns starts vertically stringing pellets, it probably has a lock up problem. As far as the galling goes, the r7 had a double jointed cocking arm which would contribute to the galling. They have corrected the problem by installing a stainless steel pin in the bracket that tour center stock screw attaches to. This pin limits the movement of the cocking arm. Pull your stock off and you will see what I mean. I don’t know how to explain it any better. I currently own an r7 deluxe and I am not a fan of the r7. Yes it is fun and easy to shoot, but of the 3 I have owned, none would shoot more accurately than about inch and a half groups on my 25 yard range, and I have a vortek Kit in it, but maybe I’m stretching it out too far. Hole in hole at 10 yards though. I hope you have good luck with yours. 

Yesterday I received my two HW30 stainless look airguns from AOA. I knew that the stocks are the plain HW30 stocks that's why they are 250.oo I now own 9 HW30'S and R7's and none of mine have galling or lock up issues. So I don't think you have to worry about it being a common problem. Just keep an eye on it.I would say you can expect 1/2" groups at 20 yards with no problem. 

1553631907_12430293125c9a8aa3541874.42654341_20190212_172944.jpg

That's 50 shots @ 15 yards offhand and the white area is 3/4" They are amazing little guns for the money. When you get your gun tomorrow just shoot itand then shoot it some more . I have not cleaned the barrel on any of mine except to shoot a cleaning pellets or 2 (or sometimes 3) through it. All but one of mine (an all original pre safety gun) shoot between 580 and 620 and they seem to get better the more you shoot them. The pre safety gun shoots right around 540 but it is so smooth I don't want to take it apart.Put a nice scope on it and enjoy it's accuracy. I have Hawke 4-12 x 40 airmax or 3-9 airmax on most of mine.Except the R7's which came with 4-12 bushnell scopes. I shoot all mine on 9x and only to 35 yards. Congrats on your new gun. Have fun.

I just received the rifle.....very pretty finish on the metal. I developed 2 concerns when I went to chrony it. One.....they did not include the variable inserts for the front site....thankfully the one it has it ok. There were no test targets....but there was a stapled 'shot list' (looked like an adding machine paper slip) of which the printer ink made it unreadable. I found with the JSB 7.33 RS I was getting 638 average. First couple shots you could smell dieseling....got 660 on the second shot. 

So....aside from the above comments....it's the lock-up I want to talk about. I can feel the detente ball ride over the bar. But I don't hear a snap in place or highly definitive sound on lockup. Am I expecting too much....I don't remember the 2 I had back in 2012 and how they sounded and locked (getting old). 

I shot open site....though I have no vision at all at 25 yards and got a 4 inch group of 3....but that is free holding it without a rest, no vision and can't hardly see the target.

It was a little snappy.....no twang....but I can see the power is better than some and that must be causing the mild loudness and snap.

Overall.....I like what I see....just hope that the 'soft' small bump of the detente over the closure bar is sufficient for closure and I shouldn't be expecting a 'snap' of the detente with noticeable snap in place noise.

Get some proper 10 meter targets and shoot it at 10 meters until you get used to the sights. Shoot more and worry less. The black bull should be the same width as the front sight, making it easier to get a consistent hold. I added a diopter rear sight to mine and enjoy shooting it in the living room. Knocking down my field targets out to about 30 yards is great fun also.

Then once you get comfortable shooting the gun, get yourself some of these........

1553722124_3242162865c9beb0c9f1ab0.44235810_20190327_172643.jpg

Silhouette shooting is some of the most fun shooting there is. We have a short distance silhouette competition we put together where you shoot the chickens @ 18 yrds....

.the pigs @ 23 yrds......the turkeys @ 28 yrds....and the Rams @ 33 yrds and the HW30'S and R7's are the only guns allowed. Shooting these silhouettes with 6 ftlbs guns in 5 + mph swirling winds offhand is a blast and takes some skill. 

Hello. I am a new member from California (sorry). I have enjoyed air rifles in the past before I was smitten with 45-70 and other PB. I enjoyed my Diana 34, 350, 48 and a previous HW-30. They were all tuned by John in PA and brought great pleasure. Then I impulsively sold them and have enjoyed the PB till California has so regulated the purchase right down to the ammo. I have recently become re-inspired to be able to 'quietly' enjoy the shooting sport from home and return to the fold of air rifles. To that end I have just purchased from AOA a 'used-new' HW-30s with stainless finish that they have taken out of the upgraded stock and put into the 'blah' stock. You will see them on their website today if you look for a very nominal price though they don't inform you of the stock change (they should have been more forthcoming without me making a confirmatory phone call). To their credit, it's already in transit for a tomorrow delivery and they were pleasant and patient on the phone. I ordered JSB Exact 7.33 RS which, as I understand, tends to be a favorite for the 30.

Now to my question. There appears that there are a couple of occasional 'problems' that may crop up with the HW-30/R7. One is galling....which some people opine has been corrected by Weihrauch. Is that true. Then, some have stated that the galling correction was some form of a plastic sleeve added by Weihrauch. Is that true? Then I read that the second problem with the HW-30 occasionally is the lock up failing with the detente ball not fully engaging (tested with the tissue test). Is this true and common? There was some comment that maybe the galling plastic sleeve may add insult to injury with the barrel lock up detente issue.

Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. Having had a 30 in the past....you see what I returned to. My main enjoyment will be under 30 yard plink, squirrel and target 'out the backdoor' with neighborhood silence (tehehe).

Great ! Another California member. What part of Ca. ? Welcome !

I bought an HW-30 recently for indoor use. (This one is in .22) I had also been worried about galling, but was assured by the gunsmith that it is no longer an issue. Sure enough, mine is perfect! I have zero complaints, and I'm considering getting another HW-30 in .177. The only downside is, this gun turned me into a pellet gun addict! I am getting into a club and looking into a gun for field target...

New scope arrived yesterday for my stainless look hw30 from AOA. Put it together last night and will start breaking it in Sunday afternoon.

1553862429_19049320485c9e0f1df2b6a9.16940549_20190328_220810.jpg

Muzzlebreak is from Pyramyd....Air Venturi ported muzzlebreak not meant for the HW30 ( measured about .580) Put it in the lathe, ran a 19/32" drill though it to within 1/2" of the end, then honed it to .595" on Sunnen hone

1553862952_5993047135c9e1128e82db4.58570181_20190329_082141.jpg

Nice fit. Finishes off the business end nicely when you remove the sights...hate the look of those dovetail cuts in the end of the barrel. Don't know how many of these HW30'S AOA still has, but @ 250.oo if you are thinking of buying one of these great little guns , that's the deal.

1553863545_4065093545c9e13796e4582.48741709_20190328_221023.jpg

New scope arrived yesterday for my stainless look hw30 from AOA. Put it together last night and will start breaking it in Sunday afternoon.

1553862429_19049320485c9e0f1df2b6a9.16940549_20190328_220810.jpg

Muzzlebreak is from Pyramyd....Air Venturi ported muzzlebreak not meant for the HW30 ( measured about .580) Put it in the lathe, ran a 19/32" drill though it to within 1/2" of the end, then honed it to .595" on Sunnen hone

1553862952_5993047135c9e1128e82db4.58570181_20190329_082141.jpg

Nice fit. Finishes off the business end nicely when you remove the sights...hate the look of those dovetail cuts in the end of the barrel. Don't know how many of these HW30'S AOA still has, but @ 250.oo if you are thinking of buying one of these great little guns , that's the deal.

1553863545_4065093545c9e13796e4582.48741709_20190328_221023.jpg

Damn Doug I didn't know you did all that with the lathe and stuff. Beautiful rifle brother