HW/Weihrauch HW 30

I have $750 from a gun sale that I am probably devoting for a new springer. I have a 3x12x44 UTG scope already. I need the airgun to be high quality without any tinkering needed on my part. Does the HW 30 fit that bill? Should I go ahead and have AOA put a vortex spring in it so internal problems should be reduced? Any benefit with more power or smoothness in recoil with the Vortex spring in a HW 30? Debating between HW 30 Urban Pro at $589.99 or the HW 30 Deluxe for $373.99. Is the Urban Pro that much more quieter than a HW 30? The Urban Pro 4X scope is of little use to me so the HW 30 Deluxe scores points there as I can use my UTG scope. Last, if I go PCP, what is the most accurate say to 50 yards, no tinkering PCP that I can get for my budget that will work well with a hand pump.

Reactions: Bandito
I noticed that Mike Melick with Flying Dragons sells an R7 for same price ($400) and lifetime warranty as Pyramid Air. However, he tunes his. Only thing the R7 is the standard HW 30 and not the HW 30 Deluxe with the gorgeous stock that AOA sells for $374. However the extra quality control and tune that Mike does on his gun is a major factor. Decisions, Decisions. Must wait till Monday although the urge to buy now is strong.

I noticed that Mike Melick with Flying Dragons sells an R7 for same price ($400) and lifetime warranty as Pyramid Air. However, he tunes his. Only thing the R7 is the standard HW 30 and not the HW 30 Deluxe with the gorgeous stock that AOA sells for $374. However the extra quality control and tune that Mike does on his gun is a major factor. Decisions, Decisions. Must wait till Monday although the urge to buy now is strong.
The nice thing about the PG4 is that you're usually pushing 8.5ftlbs with it while still being very tame. I think the factory tune on the 30 is closer to 7ftlbs. The extra oomph is definitely nice but isn't always necessary

Well, I will call Flying Dragons and AOA Monday and make a decision. I think I remember in the early 80s or late 70s that the Beeman super tuned R7 got you 690 fps. I bought one back then supertuned with Williams peep sight, it broke by my brother dry firing it and then was stolen including firearms and other valuables by my drug addicted thieving cousin that stayed at my parents house to help him out get a footing in life.

IMHO the 'urban pro' package is more of a gimmick and not worth the extra $200+.

Get the standard hw30 (suggest .177) and just shoot it without modification. After awhile, you can decide whether or not a drop in tune kit is something you'd like to install. If so, you have several good choices and there are numerous video tutorials on YT that can walk you through the installation yourself. Good luck.
R

IMHO the 'urban pro' package is more of a gimmick and not worth the extra $200+.

Get the standard hw30 (suggest .177) and just shoot it without modification. After awhile, you can decide whether or not a drop in tune kit is something you'd like to install. If so, you have several good choices and there are numerous video tutorials on YT that can walk you through the installation yourself. Good luck.
R
^^^This. Just shoot, enjoy and have fun. Mine while R7 badged was built in 2018, still factory stock and no twang or galling.
The day will come it will get a kit but that day is not today, no need for one.

HW30 deluxe with the PG4 installed is the way to go. By installing a sleeved kit in the 30, the chances of galling is literally eliminated. I would ask AOA if the kit voids the warranty and also for the factory parts to be sent with the gun.
Edit: Anyone claiming to have a 30 that has never failed in the linkage is legit. The spring has always stayed straight is all. It’s just not worth the chance to me. A sleeve helps keep the spring straight.

Last edited:
HW30 deluxe with the PG4 installed is the way to go. By installing a sleeved kit in the 30, the chances of galling is literally eliminated.

I'm still learning, so this might be a stupid question, but how does a new spring and piston sleeve/guides eliminate galling? Isn't the galling an issue with the articulated cocking arm rubbing along the outside of the gun?

I saw this article on the Vortex spring upgrade for the HW 30. The 2021 installed price is $150 so the 2024 price is higher. Cannot justify that. I like the HW 30 deluxe but maybe the best value and best quality for the price is to see if I can get one thru Flying Dragons as he does go thru the guns. May have to settle for a plain R7 though.

I purchased a HW30 .177 from AoA and had the Vortek kit and trigger modification done. The kit install does not void the warranty. Kip at AoA did an excellent tune job, the rifle is very smooth. On my second tin of pellets. Everyone should have an HW30.

The rifle is very docile and as accurate as the shooter is. I can hit quarter sized spinners at 55 yards if I do my part.

Y
I'm still learning, so this might be a stupid question, but how does a new spring and piston sleeve/guides eliminate galling? Isn't the galling an issue with the articulated cocking arm rubbing along the outside of the gun?
You are correct. The spring at some point may take a set. Usually in a weak spot. When this bend occurs, the spring presses up against the piston wall. When at rest, the lateral force against the piston rotates it. The piston then pushes against the shoe on the linkage. Then the linkage begins to rub against the one side of the receiver groove. After enough material is removed on the groove the pivot joint binds and the linkage stiffens causing it to lock up and gall into the receiver. With a sleeve containing the spring this is eliminated.

I saw this article on the Vortex spring upgrade for the HW 30. The 2021 installed price is $150 so the 2024 price is higher. Cannot justify that. I like the HW 30 deluxe but maybe the best value and best quality for the price is to see if I can get one thru Flying Dragons as he does go thru the guns. May have to settle for a plain R7 though.

Plain R7 .177, factory original internals. No twang, no galling, does this in my sometimes not capable hands at 20ish yards when I was testing the first batch of pellets I wanted to try. Why I agreed with Emrider when he said just shoot it. You may well find you don't want to do anything to it. You can always drop a kit in it later and there's plenty of help here and any number of YouTube videos to walk you through doing it yourself at home and saving a bundle of money.
Beeman R7 .177 Bench 1.jpgBeeman R7 .177 sight in.jpgBeeman R7 .177 10 Dimes.jpg

For whatever it's worth, I've installed kits in both a HW30 and R7 recently. The Vortek PG4 kit in the HW30 hovers around 8.5, while the R7 with ARH kit with Vortek piston seal is around 8. Both are pretty peppy. Wonderful behavior with each setup. I've shot fantastic groups with both. The ARH may last longer? I shoot a lot of different rifles, so I spread the love across many guns. When they need it, I make them better.

Called Mike Mellick at Flying Dragons. He can get the HW 30 or Beeman R7 in a few days. When he gets them, he takes them apart, and tunes them all for $400 which I believe is the current going price if bought in USA. For a guy like me who does not have the mechanical skills to screw in a light bulb, he is an ideal seller for me. His Beeman R7 will still carry the lifetime warranty. I ordered it. However he could only get the R7 and the HW 30S and not the HW30 Deluxe. I loved the supertuned Xisco B28 he sold me (may sell it though as I have a RWS 350 he tuned for me) and I am sure I will like this one. He could do the Vortex but based on our discussion and the prior article I listed, just does not seem worth it if he is going to take the gun apart anyway and inspect and tune it. Note, he can get the R9 and some other German guns. He tunes them all.

Last edited: