• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Daystate Huntsman revere consistency question

I have the .22cal regulated and can’t understand why they have to set the reg pressure at 150bar? That’s seems pretty high for a .22cal. Anyway I’m interested in this post as I was on the fence and ended up getting a regulated model but I certainly wouldn’t mind another one in .177 unregulated safari edition! Love this gun.
This is just a guess, but I know that tuning has to involve both hammer spring tension and plenum pressure, both of which work with a set hammer travel. My guess, their much touted Harper hammer system uses relatively short travel, which might require a relatively high plenum pressure. That seems kind of logical to me, which probably means that it's totally wrong!

I sometimes wonder about the whole regulated thing. I guess those new to it believe that an unregulated rifle is grossly deficient from the regulated options. Truth be told, given my uses, I would be just as well served without regulation, and could eliminate a variable from potential issues. It is of value to certain competitive shooters, and is certainly a marketing tool. We tend to believe we need those things marketed to us.

Yep. Outside of precision target shooting, a regulator is not necessary and adds unnecessary complexity and failure points.

To back this up, I’ve shot 200 in the 30-Yard Challenge with two unregulated rifles:

Daystate Huntsman Regal .22
Reximex Daystar Pretensis .177

The Reximex is essentially a .177 Benjamin Cayden. They are virtually identical except for the stock. I paid $425 used off AGN Classifieds. It’s $550 new.

If you properly set up the hammer spring and fill to optimal pressure, you will get a very nice, stable, predictable shot string with an unregulated rifle - with superb reliability and without the additional complexity (and o-rings) a regulator adds.

The 30-Yard Challenge target has a 10-ring of 1/8” (.125”) diameter and an X of .04” diameter. You really need at least 24x scope magnification to see this target well enough to effectively manage your holds.

With the unregulated rifles I listed above, I’ve got 15+ consecutive cards scoring 192 and above.

I’m not some world class shooter. The points above are to show that you CAN even do precision target shooting at 30 and 40 yards with unregulated rifles. 20fps velocity spreads are NOT significant to point of impact at these distances (assuming you are shooting 825+ fps)

If your primary intent is to shoot 75 and 100 yard benchrest competitions with the rifle, then you will want a regulator, and every other tweak advantage you can get.

If most of the enthusiasts on this forum owned and shot an unregulated Huntsman for 6 months, I think it would significantly change their view as to what is “required” in an air rifle.

-Ed

Daystar Shot String - 2.7 inch HS.jpeg

Daystar 105 Shot String.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2735.jpeg

Last edited:
Ha Ha. I wont tell my wife where you live for your safety. 😋
But seriously I’ve gotta know when to quit. If you’d see the airguns I’ve bought in the last two years you’d understand.
Im able to get this as a “trade” on a bushbuck I’m selling. Conscience won’t let me shell out another 400
I've went through my fair share of air guns in the last few years myself. I'm done buying the bargain guns. Too hit and miss, and too many reviews hype them up. It's going to be daystate huntsman, HW100KT, and maybe an s410 carbine if I find one in good shape and not asking a ridiculous amount for it.

I have the .22cal regulated and can’t understand why they have to set the reg pressure at 150bar? That’s seems pretty high for a .22cal. Anyway I’m interested in this post as I was on the fence and ended up getting a regulated model but I certainly wouldn’t mind another one in .177 unregulated safari edition! Love this gun.
I have one, too. Are you planning on adjusting your reg? One thing I discovered after shooting about a half tin of pellets, is that if the pellet skirt hangs up in the mag, if its gently advanced past the hang-up, accuracy is much improved.

I’m getting a daystate huntsman revere unregulated .25. I’m curious if any of you guys that own these would care to share information about how consistent they are shot to shot(velocity). can you share what a typical shot string looks like from a full fill to where shots drop off in speed?
The unregulated Harper (valve) Patent really makes a regulator unnecessary IMO. I own two unregulated Daystate rifles with the Harper Patent and they don't waste any air and have very consistent strings.

Last edited:
New to the huntsman Revere, I noticed that on my gun it says 200 SWP, but most are filling to the 250 bar and I have seen that 250 SWP on other huntsman too! Whats the deal?? Its a .25 40fpe unregulated model. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

Paul
I’m not sure what the 200 swp refers to but I have the same 25 cal unregulated and it says fill to 250 Barr.

New to the huntsman Revere, I noticed that on my gun it says 200 SWP, but most are filling to the 250 bar and I have seen that 250 SWP on other huntsman too! Whats the deal?? Its a .25 40fpe unregulated model. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hmmmm. Seems odd. SWP is the fill pressure (I think it stands for "Safe Working Pressure" but could be wrong on the acronym). I believe that all production Reveres are 250bar. Perhaps you have a custom/modded version meant for a certain area. Post a pic of the gun and the sticker showing 200. That might shed some light.

Hmmmm. Seems odd. SWP is the fill pressure (I think it stands for "Safe Working Pressure" but could be wrong on the acronym). I believe that all production Reveres are 250bar. Perhaps you have a custom/modded version meant for a certain area. Post a pic of the gun and the sticker showing 200. That might shed some light.
Each air tube will have the max safe fill pressure and expiration date chemically etched on it. You would think it would match what is on the plaque on the receiver. In the case of my Huntsman Rega, SWP 210.

Just over $1000 seems like a really good price for a "high end" brand with a nice looking walnut stock. It's also pretty short and reasonably light. It is rated to deliver "up to 40 fpe" which would mean a maximum of about 850 fps on a 25.39 pellet. Probably not practical to try 34 grain pellets. 20 grain H&N FTTs should get going really quick but 31 grain Baracudas are also probably a bit heavy. So hopefully it likes the 25.39 JSBs or FXs.

I only have one unregulated PCP, a Prod, and 4 regulated. I like shooting a reasonably long shot string with less than 10 fps variation between shots but at least for short range target work I don't think it is very important. Ed's target seems to prove that. I tried my little Prod on the 30 yard challenge too and shot the entire target, 24 shots, without a refill. It only stores 60cc of under 3000 psi air. My velocity variation was at least 40 fps and I shot something like a 192. Not a 200 but pretty decent for me. I'm sure 40+ fps variation is not what you want at longer range but I don't consider my PCPs to be great long range tools anyway.

Happy to say my .25 cal. Daystate revere unregulated shoots slugs well! The group below is five 26.5 zans on top of each other at 30 yards. They are doing 800 fps with factory tune.
this increases the value of this gun 100% to me. I live in open country where shots tend to be long, and pellets drop off so fast after 50 yds I won’t shoot them if I don have too.
Now if I can figure out how to attach a sling . . .

9114256E-2EA7-4C36-8DD1-FD28382044E9.jpeg

Reactions: Mr.H
My experience with the Huntsman was good, but nothing compared to a regulated gun. The harper vale saves air by controlling hammer bounce. It really doesn't do a lot to flatten the curve. Just look at the shot strings posted. I guarantee you that adding a HUMA reg would cut the es by 60% or more when properly tuned. My Brocock has both a harper valve and a HUMA reg and can hold an entire shot string from a 480cc bottle to an es of 10fps (actually 9fps for 75 shots at ~900fps avg). Best of everything is having both. That's 1% es! Try even coming close to that with an Un-reg'd Huntsman, and yes I have a Huntsman.
All of that is not to say Un-reg'd guns aren't good, but the only ones I've tested that held their own with a reg'd gun were Air Arms rifles. I've had them apart and they have that brass tube at the plenum that slows air intake during the shot and they have a fantastic flat curve.

Reactions: ocdairgunner