• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Huntsman probe O-ring

Right after I got my Huntsman Revere .22 I was of course researching everything I could find about it. Specific to the topic, I found references to the probe O-ring leaking as shown by the "tissue test." As that correlated with my initial observation upon its arrival that I couldn't feel the normal to me slight resistance when seating the probe. That seal is an issue with me and I have seals for all my airguns which I replace as necessary to maintain the integrity of the one seal I know fails first. Also, I normally leave the bolt retracted to that O-ring on my other rifles.

However, the Revere has a side lever that normally seats the probe fully into the barrel. This means the probe's O-ring is always in compression. Thus, my brand new Daystate would puff a tissue upward at every shot. Brand new to me, although I don't know when it was made it must have been, what? A year maybe? 

I ran a few of my different pellets through the chrony to establish the gun's performance as it came from the box, and noted the numbers a little less than I'd expected. Meanwhile the only source I could find that I was certain were the correct O-rings was Daystate's parts source in the UK. They (five) didn't cost much from them, really, but the shipping was ten times the cost of the part. Swallowed hard and ordered them. I'm glad I did because not only was the tissue no longer showing a leak, the chrony numbers were higher. Cost forgotten.

So this is a heads up to anyone questioning their new Daystate's fps numbers or discovering the tissue test is showing the probe leaking your energy away.

Later, I now hold the probe short of barrel insertion with a plastic straw in the side lever's forward slot when it's not being used.