• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting with tripods

I've carried a tri-pod before, dairy environment, and it was a lot to lug around. The Primos Trigger Stick https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/trigger-sticks/trigger-stick-gen3-tall-bipod-shooting-stick/PO-65814.html would be infinitely better than what I tried. Whatever you use... short shooting sticks or tripod it has to be out of the way and convenient.

My shooting sticks at 28" and 6oz that I tuck into my belt are a quick solution for sit down shots. Metal and plastic clicking sounds are a disaster but if the Primos was quiet and could be carried in a back pocket then it's worth a try for those shot opportunities that come and go quickly and where standing makes the shot faster.

Every time I go GS hunting / pesting I have to consider what all I want to carry... binos, rangefinder, shooting sticks. Recently I just carry rifle and shooting sticks.

I use a camera tripod and attach a U-shaped yoke or a small sandbag (for a springer).

Together with a foldable stool this is my equipment for hunting scenarios where I can sit and wait for quarrry.

Both tripod and stool fold up very small, and are very light. Stow-away into my backpack in less than a minute. Less than $100. 😊

Matthias

I guess I should clarify that my setups when shooting are usually in the same area. When I take airguns to the dairy I usually just leave it by the calf area which is my main work area. From there within about 100yds in any direction we have many things where birds usually perch like fences, trees, eating spilled grain. For squirrels also just usually setup in the back of my truck and use a bipod prone but I think using a tripod and bucket to sit on would be much more convenient. So I'm not carrying these all day through the woods or whatever just a set it up in one spot and we're good for a long time. For a walk around carry though the Primos looks good.

I chose to go very sturdy. I ordered a Innorel RT90C tripod off Amazon and then a Vault Outdoors Wrecking ball head with ARCA to Picatinny adapter. Overall cost is right around $530. Will be used on my EVOL and my .22lr. 

I have the bog deathgrip, the primos trigger stick tri-tall, & a tall set of long bi-pod. Hands down the trigger stick for hunting. The bog is super solid but takes too much time to set up & adjust unless from a ground blind. Long bi pod not as stable.

The Trigger Stick looks pretty and you're right is has to be fast in setup. The squirrel aren't gonna stare at me all day.

I guess I should clarify that my setups when shooting are usually in the same area. When I take airguns to the dairy I usually just leave it by the calf area which is my main work area. From there within about 100yds in any direction we have many things where birds usually perch like fences, trees, eating spilled grain. For squirrels also just usually setup in the back of my truck and use a bipod prone but I think using a tripod and bucket to sit on would be much more convenient. So I'm not carrying these all day through the woods or whatever just a set it up in one spot and we're good for a long time. For a walk around carry though the Primos looks good.

I chose to go very sturdy. I ordered a Innorel RT90C tripod off Amazon and then a Vault Outdoors Wrecking ball head with ARCA to Picatinny adapter. Overall cost is right around $530. Will be used on my EVOL and my .22lr.

Other than buying an adapter and a RRS Anvil 30 for the RT90C I think you made a great choice. Most people haven't the foggiest idea how steady these are!

If you miss it won't be any other reason than that you got the wind wrong. I went to shoot in a dairy last Sunday which was the first time I've been to one. Basically limitless numbers of many kinds of birds that are pests spreading disease and eating up profit.

20210317_114251.1615995885.jpg
I like this one. Lite and eazy to carry. Fine a nice shade tree and wait. 😆.
20160131_123542.1615995484.jpg

Other than buying an adapter and a RRS Anvil 30 for the RT90C I think you made a great choice. Most people haven't the foggiest idea how steady these are!

If you miss it won't be any other reason than that you got the wind wrong. I went to shoot in a dairy last Sunday which was the first time I've been to one. Basically limitless numbers of many kinds of birds that are pests spreading disease and eating up profit.

Lol that was the route I looked to go but couldn't find any of those Anvils in stock and price wise I wanted to stick around $500 total. I do think it'll be great for my uses. And yeah with spring time here the birds are coming out in force!

I use the Primos Trigger Sticks. What I did do though, was replace the Primos V bracket with the Bog tripod scope adapter, then put the Bog Death Grip onto that. Both parts are interchangeable with the Primos mount. They use the same 1/4” screw adapter. The Death Grip has a bigger platform and is more stable than the V bracket. Also gives you the ability to tighten it down to hold the gun. It won’t hold my Pulsar though, as the back weight is to much no matter how much you tighten it. But it’s a very stable platform with it no matter. Holds my brake barrel Trail NP fine though. Should hold my Delta Wolf also. Really is a great platform for my rat shooting. Wouldn’t be without it. Here’s how it looks holding the Trail NP
4E085700-CCB1-454E-856B-97B32A2326BA.1616002916.jpeg

Dairyboy, you know when you lean up to the metal fence and the cows all move over to investigate and you can't shoot? Well, the trigger stick let's you take the shot standing away from the fence and no cows. If you can touch your right arm against something, if you shoot right handed, it is like a bench rest. Get the tall trigger stick.

With the tripod he has on order he can shoot standing up and be nearly as steady as a bench, I'm not exaggerating either.