• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

hunting with the FX , sling and issues

wondering if anyone has a better solution for a FX dreamline tact , I have an AR style sling on the gun now, hooks to the stock end and the bottom rail in front of the trigger

the gun hangs cross body when walking in front of me, there has been mulitple times now that when moving the gun, or picking it up to shoot, the large tee cocking lever 

gets caught on my shirt and pulls backwards and the magazine wants to load another pellet , when it happens I pull the magazine so another pellet doesn't load and push the cocking lever back forward to shoot, 

I just purchased another sling mount to get the gun to hang a little different, even then the lever will drop down just with gravity, and I don't know if another pellet was loaded

or not, maybe just keep pulling the magazine out to walk with and then it wouldn't matter? 

The only rifles I would walk with can be de-cocked, and then re-cocked without double loading. I consider this a requirement in a walking hunting rifle, as you can move in total safety. If your mag system is the same as my Royale, then I don't know if this is feasible. Since I don't trust safeties, I would be inclined so load the first pellet and shoot it in the dirt, leaving the rifle ready to re-cock for a shot. But, I guess that doesn't answer your lever issue. I suppose you could attach a loop of some sort from the cocking handle to the short pic rail forward of the trigger. 

quoting the OP, "even then the lever will drop down just with gravity, "

this is your first problem that needs to be addressed, the cocking lever should not fall open with just gravity, no wonder it comes open by just snagging your shirt

thanks for the replies, 

Is there an adjustment you can make to increase tension on the cocking lever?

I don't see anything on a way to remedy this in the manual. Have you been able to tighten one up?

Another solution is to leave the last hole in the mag empty. Rotate it to the last empty hole and ease the cocking lever forward, leaving your gun with an empty chamber. Can't do it on a completely closed mag though. The daystates new mag and the evanix will work this way. 

Knife

That’s what I do... like the old timers would load their single action Colts...

I'm not sure how your lever is getting tangled.

I have a dreamline tact, and I have field carried with a 2 point sling, over the shoulder, no issues. Attached to rear stock, and an extended front rail.

Carried with a single point sling on the top rail - the lever should not be next to your body - it should be facing away. 

Maybe you are carrying it in some other way that I am not familiar with.

You can get a stronger magnet to hold the lever down, it might help, but if you are snagging the lever, it might not be enough.

Another solution is to leave the last hole in the mag empty. Rotate it to the last empty hole and ease the cocking lever forward, leaving your gun with an empty chamber. Can't do it on a completely closed mag though. The daystates new mag and the evanix will work this way. 

Knife

I'm not sure that can be done with this magazine design. Spring tension is going to keep a pellet aligned with the chamber. Don't think you can rotate the tray to an empty slot and hold it, since the pellet tray is inside the mag housing and cover. The only thing holding the pellet tray in place is the pellet lined up to load. The Dreamline mag is different than my Royale, but the operating principle is the same, and I don't see a way to do it. But it there is, I would be interested to learn about it.

I have to disagree with those saying walking with their gun de cocked but one in the chamber is absolutely safe. It’s not. Always keep your rifle pointed in a safe direction as if it can shoot at all times. With a projectile in the barrel it’s always capable of serious harm or death. Failure at the valve will cause the object to shoot and could even be more powerful than your normal shot. I know the chances of this failure are low but still possible and it bothers me when talking safety to say it’s safe. I personally walk around the woods fully loaded and ready to fire without using the safety but I only point at things I wish to shoot or the ground and keep my finger off the trigger. For those that choose to look for the safest approach I would remove the mag after each successful shot until I spot another target. Should be much easier to keep up with and prevent double loading as well. Just my opinion but felt like it should be mentioned. 

I have to disagree with those saying walking with their gun de cocked but one in the chamber is absolutely safe. It’s not. Always keep your rifle pointed in a safe direction as if it can shoot at all times. With a projectile in the barrel it’s always capable of serious harm or death. Failure at the valve will cause the object to shoot and could even be more powerful than your normal shot. I know the chances of this failure are low but still possible and it bothers me when talking safety to say it’s safe. I personally walk around the woods fully loaded and ready to fire without using the safety but I only point at things I wish to shoot or the ground and keep my finger off the trigger. For those that choose to look for the safest approach I would remove the mag after each successful shot until I spot another target. Should be much easier to keep up with and prevent double loading as well. Just my opinion but felt like it should be mentioned.

And I have to disagree a bit too. True, a valve failure could fire a pellet from a decocked rifle. But, you say you walk with the rifle loaded and off safety, and feel that is safer? Can you imagine the relative odds of each of those conditions causing an accidental discharge? The rifle should always be handled safely, but I've seen a lot of safeties release unintended, never seen a valve suddenly fail and discharge the rifle while walking. As for double loading, it ain't gonna happen with a Taipan Veteran, unless you remove the mag, manually rotate it to a loaded chamber, then chamber a second pellet. 

Where did I say I thought the way I walk around the woods is safer? And my cricket ll won’t double feed if you switch the selector but you’re missing the point I was adding. I was simply stating that a pellet in the barrel will always have the potential to leave unintentionally unless the rifle is empty of air.

Here:

"I personally walk around the woods fully loaded and ready to fire without using the safety but I only point at things I wish to shoot or the ground and keep my finger off the trigger. "

Perhaps I misunderstood. I assumed you believe this is safer than de-cocking, since it is the procedure you prefer. But, maybe the rifle in question does not offer a comparable de-cocking action as the Taipan Veteran which, for hunting, I find about perfect. Doesn't matter, as you mentioned, fundamental safety is determined by proper handling of the weapon. 

I think I have it figured out, larue mount came in, it is a low profile, 45 degree rail mount, so with that on the guns lower rail it hangs more flat cross body , and does not look

like it will let the tee arm get tangled on any clothing

also switched over to a 17 cal barrel kit over the weekend, and for some reason, with the 17 and new pellet probe the magnet on the tee handle is stuck on better than with the 

25 cal, don't know why 

and the 17 is shooting really well, lowered the regulator to 110 bar, and set the power dial so it is shooting jsb monsters at 860 fps

seems like a very accurate set up, with a whole lot more shots before the hand pump comes out. 190-230 bar takes 75 pumps, pretty good workout for an old fat guy LOL

Reactions: jbird22cal