Hunting with the FX Maverick Compact

A- Hack; Nice shooting & video ! I took a pigeon square in the chest w/ a Hades at 47 yrd.s . My Avenger is spitting them out at a little over 900fps. The bird was on the ladder in front of the open section atop the silo . At the shot I heard the metal clang inside , so a definite pass through, just not enough steam to poke a hole !
I've got the pigeon population down pretty well here, usually a couple or a few once in a while , which is good . Shoot safe & accurate !

A question, why the H&N Hunters vs say a Diablo? I'm hitting ground squirrels with the .25 33.95 JSB MkII and they fall down then run away, No pass throughs on the few bodies I'd found so the energy is being dumped but not properly.
Diablo's go right thru the bird and thru the barn siding. H&N mushroom really nice and even if they go thru there is not enough energy left to go thru the siding or roof. Also the birds don't go down very fast. A lot of them fly away and die out of site.

Diablo's go right thru the bird and thru the barn siding. H&N mushroom really nice and even if they go thru there is not enough energy left to go thru the siding or roof. Also the birds don't go down very fast. A lot of them fly away and die out of site.
You think they're good out to 120 yards or close range only?

You think they're good out to 120 yards or close range only?
I don’t think you will find hunting pellets very accurate at over 100yds. I am shooting the hunters and hunter extremes with my panthera hunter .25 at 910fps. They are very consistent at 80yds. With little to no wind. Any further i use slugs because they retain so much more energy at distance compared to pellets. If you hit a ground squirrel with a 34gr slugs at 120yds it will not get up and run away! lol

I don’t think you will find hunting pellets very accurate at over 100yds. I am shooting the hunters and hunter extremes with my panthera hunter .25 at 910fps. They are very consistent at 80yds. With little to no wind. Any further i use slugs because they retain so much more energy at distance compared to pellets. If you hit a ground squirrel with a 34gr slugs at 120yds it will not get up and run away! lol
I'd need to buy a new gun for slugs, honestly having a hard time justifying it. My Mav .22 compact hates slugs, and my .25 VP isn't far behind, I can't get the 1 MOS (Minute of Squirrel) I need or want. My VP is tuned perfectly and I'm not messing with it any more. That said, which slugs are you using?

I want to apologize for hijacking the thread, it really wasn't my intent, I'm just frustrated over this slug thing.

Last edited:
So how much umph are you using to get those speeds? My heaviest slug .25 is 26 gr FX , I'm pumping my 33.95 out at 890 and just boringly consistent. I honestly don't mind getting a different gun but I'm also not in the mood to blow 2k for no good reason, Oh and which pellets have you found to work?

I'd need to buy a new gun for slugs, honestly having a hard time justifying it. My Mav .22 compact hates slugs, and my .25 VP isn't far behind, I can't get the 1 MOS (Minute of Squirrel) I need or want. My VP is tuned perfectly and I'm not messing with it any more. That said, which slugs are you using?

I want to apologize for hijacking the thread, it really wasn't my intent, I'm just frustrated over this slug thing.
Try shooting FX Hybrids. They are just over MOA at 100 yards for my Maverick VP .30cal.

Reactions: 850renxrs

I put a good deal of effort into trying to get my Mav Compact 25 to shoot slugs. Never got it to the point I was happy with it. The closest I got was with the Impulse Air Hybrid look alike s. Still not an MOA performance. Finally decided to just leave it as a pellet shooter.
There are some people locally here who are having good results shooting 17.5 gr slugs out of their Impact 22 Compacts.

My mav .22 compact liked 17.5 20.5 nsa’s 23gr javelin’s and my corbin slugs from 17-25gr. With 700mm barrel it even shot the 28.5’s very well that i made. I never tried any thing heavier with the std liner.

My .25 mav sniper likes hybrids. 34gr jsb knock outs at 940. The old h&n 34gr at 900.

My .25 panthera hunter likes hybrids at 960 my 28gr and 30gr corbins at 940 and 920 and the h&n 34gr just below 900. It is also the only gun I have seen crow magnums group less than a inch at 60yds! Lol

Here is a screenshot from the h&n 34gr testing. I am still very impressed with the results because of it only having a 380mm barrel.
C5DC1CBC-8A11-4BA2-9AA3-6A42B5C585FF.png

Reactions: HogKiller
So how much umph are you using to get those speeds? My heaviest slug .25 is 26 gr FX , I'm pumping my 33.95 out at 890 and just boringly consistent. I honestly don't mind getting a different gun but I'm also not in the mood to blow 2k for no good reason, Oh and which pellets have you found to work?
Also sorry to the op for the hijacking. The most important thing is having the valve barley over powering the hammer to make sure you don’t have a bunch of air disturbing the projectile when it is leaving the barrel.
I only buy hunting pellets. Barracuda hunters hunter extremes and hades.

Reactions: HogKiller
Also sorry to the op for the hijacking. The most important thing is having the valve barley over powering the hammer to make sure you don’t have a bunch of air disturbing the projectile when it is leaving the barrel.
I only buy hunting pellets. Barracuda hunters hunter extremes and hades.
I spent some quality time yesterday watching some great videos from 4 years ago, Matt Drubber, barrels and how everything was developed. One video by Shooter 1721 was an excellent review of the cavitation cause'd by the hybrids from 50 to 300+ yards. My .22 compact is capable of doing what I want with more than enough power with hybrids. One interesting tidbit that I didn't know was any close range testing is a waste of lead and air, they don't start to really stabilize until 50 yards or so. So, I've been chasing my tail on that aspect. I'm currently limited to 25 yards during the summer and 32 yards during the non garden season. Unless I go to my permission then I can reach out to 120 yards or so.

Ok, today I bit the slug, figuratively, not literally. Cranked #1 on my Mav .22 Compact up to 150bar, cranked #2 up to 130 bar, moved my HSA out to 20.0mm for starters, as a note, one full turn = 1mm. STOCK Hammer and Spring. Slug Probe and Slug on the transfer port. FX/RMR 22gr slugs, 25 yards. started shooting and moving the HSA until speeds fell of of 930fps, backed it off and tweaked a touch.

Shot count: 10
Low: 921
Hi: 942
Avg: 930
Spread: 21
STD Dev: 7.5

Sound was a nice Pffffffttttt, no extra air.

#9 and #14 are the last groups 25 yards, occasionally I'd get 5 in a hole then something would head off. I'm calling this good. Monday I'm going to try for squirrels at my Horsemans permission. If anyone has the BC for these besides .8 please let me know According to RMR it's .093.
.IMG_2243.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok, today I bit the slug, figuratively, not literally. Cranked #1 on my Mav .22 Compact up to 150bar, cranked #2 up to 130 bar, moved my HSA out to 20.0mm for starters, as a note, one full turn = 1mm. STOCK Hammer and Spring. Slug Probe and Slug on the transfer port. FX/RMR 22gr slugs, 25 yards. started shooting and moving the HSA until speeds fell of of 930fps, backed it off and tweaked a touch.

Shot count: 10
Low: 921
Hi: 942
Avg: 930
Spread: 21
STD Dev: 7.5

Sound was a nice Pffffffttttt, no extra air.

#9 and #14 are the last groups 25 yards, occasionally I'd get 5 in a hole then something would head off. I'm calling this good. Monday I'm going to try for squirrels at my Horsemans permission. If anyone has the BC for these besides .8 please let me know According to RMR it's .093.
.View attachment 383813
Not sure if that is the best you can get from it. Here is what I get from my Dreamline Lite Bottle in .177 and my current setup on the FX Maverick Compact in .22

IMG_0645.PNG
IMG_0655.PNG

Reactions: qball
Not sure if that is the best you can get from it. Here is what I get from my Dreamline Lite Bottle in .177 and my current setup on the FX Maverick Compact in .22

View attachment 384364View attachment 384365
Is it the best, perhaps not but it's close enough. I was plugging Ground Squirrels at 100 - 120 yards today. The slugs are expensive, I'm not inclined to spend a ton of money that isn't necessary. I may sacrifice a few 18.13gr's and see if I can tweak it in just a bit more.