• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting with shooting sticks

Any opinions on if it's better to shoot off a tripod stick set up or is a two stick set up better? Been noticing when I deploy the tripod formation the recoil of the magnum springer will push the sticks back and if I'm sitting the third leg if the tripod not supported by a strap between will slip and fall under the harsh recoil.only thing is if I use the two stick formation I have to lay the sticks on the ground in order to cock the rifle then pick it back up into position.feels like a Chinese Fire drill ....lol

I tried a tripod setup for hunting and also could not figure out a way to easily, quickly and smoothly get setup for a shot. Way too much complexity.

I went to a monopod shooting stick and have been very pleased with that for the past 5 years. Sure, it is not as stable as a tripod or bipod, but super easy to deploy and transport in the field. And the accuracy improvement versus freehand is significant. Works well for my hunting needs.

R

When I hunted ground squirrels with my springer, I used a set of homemade sticks to very good effect. I put a leather strap made from an old belt to cradle the forearm and let the gun move with the recoil. I made some amazing shots out to 55 yards or so with that set up. I've fallen down the PCP rabbit hole so I don't shoot my springer much except for close rang rabbit hunting. Very few animals will sit still while you deploy your sticks, they work best in a sit and wait situation.
DSCF6210.JPG

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about-there's a screw at the top of each leg, the belt is attached to one side and the strap has a hole and slips on to the other leg.

I have the Primos Trigger Sticks tripod. If you leave the legs strapped together it is a mono pod. Having the tripod will give you a mono pod and tripod depending on your need/desire. Change it up easily as you want.

I should say that it isn't as perfect as each type individually but it does give you options. I have the gen 2 just as a reference.

Last edited: