Hunting with own production slug.

I have been casting my own airgun ammo for a few years now. I don't buy pellets or slugs anymore because IMO the cast results have been right up there with JSB, etc. All my molds are from NOE in Utah and there's actually a couple more molds available right now that I may buy.

This mold here I have had for quite a while now, I got it back out to cast up a bunch more of these pellets recently because I bought an Artemis M11 MK2 from a importer from Canada. The M11 just simply loves these beasts and they're extremely accurate from it.

RQ5u4K8.jpg
[/url][/img]

I also have a HP slug mold that I'll be trying in it soon

The slugs that I have been shooting the most are from my go to hunting gun and that's an SPAM16 (Airmax Dominator) and that's pretty much all that I have been shooting with that gun for about a year now, super accurate and deadly on the game. I got a raccoon the last day of the season this year with these.

JUTNJPH.jpg
[/url][/img]

I own 2 molds from MP-Molds. One is .22 and the other in .25. When the lead in the pot and the mold are hot enough to allow for fluid castings, the slugs come out beautiful. However, when I measure diameter with a caliper, they aren't perfectly concentric like what you get with a swagged slug. They're usually off by .004 between the highest and lowest point as I rotate the slug in the caliper. Not sure if this is due to sloppy manufacturing, or if this is just a byproduct of this type of mold. The highest point is typically at the seam of the mold halves. So the slug isn't perfectly round. Fortunately, the slug has drive bands that seal the grooves of the barrel, so they are self regulating regarding their diameter. Even though the drive bands will regulate themselves inside of the grooves of the barrel, the mass of the slug is still slightly non-concentric. I'm not sure how much this ever so slight oblong shape effects accuracy. I think the're good enough for some kill shots under 200 yards, but I wouldn't use them in a bench rest competition. 

They're also boat tail design, which I have found to be troublesome getting consistent accuracy with. I have found boat tails like to be shot fast, and you need a faster twist to get them to stabilize properly. I've never been able to get the .22 to shoot accurately. However, I think I found some mistakes I was making when I was trying them out in my 1:16 barrel (rookie mistakes that I'm too ashamed to say) that caused inaccuracy and loose groups. I may try them again to see what the results will be. 

Thanks for the post. My hat is always off to guys that strive for self sufficiency. 

I have been casting my own airgun ammo for a few years now. I don't buy pellets or slugs anymore because IMO the cast results have been right up there with JSB, etc. All my molds are from NOE in Utah and there's actually a couple more molds available right now that I may buy.

This mold here I have had for quite a while now, I got it back out to cast up a bunch more of these pellets recently because I bought an Artemis M11 MK2 from a importer from Canada. The M11 just simply loves these beasts and they're extremely accurate from it.

RQ5u4K8.jpg
[/url][/img]

I also have a HP slug mold that I'll be trying in it soon

The slugs that I have been shooting the most are from my go to hunting gun and that's an SPAM16 (Airmax Dominator) and that's pretty much all that I have been shooting with that gun for about a year now, super accurate and deadly on the game. I got a raccoon the last day of the season this year with these.

JUTNJPH.jpg
[/url][/img]

Nice ! What kind of velocity are you getting ?