• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting with corrective lenses. Wow, I can see!

I noticed my scopes were blurry this fall when I was brushing up on my holds before hunting season.
Luckily, I got a scope from Franklink this summer with AO, so I could use the focus to see what I was aiming at.
The real problem: I only have one scope with AO, so I was stuck using my Sniper XR (the gun it's on) for hunting.
I really wanted to be able to grab my Avenger for those longer shots but I just couldn't see the targets clearly. Even close up work with my Notos was blurry!
I was super frustrated!
Now some might have rescoped each gun with an AO scope.
I chose to make an appointment to get my eyes checked.
That trip to the eye Dr. confirmed that I needed glasses! So much for reading the bottom line on the eye chart like I did last time I got my eyes checked 25yrs ago.
I had been using reading glasses to shoot but that was not ideal because I use the two eye open method while shooting. I've found that method lets me quickly switch which eye I'm using. Being able to do that lets me track squirrels without looking up from the scope and thus lets me stay on target as they run through the trees. I can't do that with reading glasses because the scope view is clear but then I can't see out of the non-scope eye without flipping up the glasses.
So after waiting for 10 days I got my glasses. And after another 10 days, I'm still getting used to them.
I am in love with the fact that my scope image is crystal clear again, the squirrels not so much.
Because I had my glasses on, I caught this fat boy sitting on a branch almost perfectly camouflaged against the forest back drop. A flick of his tail gave him away.
I got him with a perfect head shot right between the eye and ear.
He hung upside down by a back leg for about 10 seconds and then fell to the forest floor.
So now that I can see, I might take the scope off the Notos and go back to the red dot so I can put that scope back on my .22lr.

Anyone else have the glasses revelation?

1B96A98C-50B0-4963-BB8B-81515064D8EF_1_105_c.jpeg

.22cal BRK Sniper XR shooting 22 grain FX Hybrid Slugs

It shouldn't have taken you 10 days to get use to the glasses, an hour or so maybe but not 10 days. Look at some print 18" away or so with both eyes, then cover one eye, then cover the other eye, if you have to move your head to read it, the lenses are wrong, same for distance. It could be as simple as a frame adjustment or they messed up on the measurements. I've been wearing progressive lenses for like ever, no issues shooting with them but I got good ones, I can't handle bifocals.

@HogKiller - Never had glasses before, other than reading glasses, and I went straight to progressive bifocals, so what portion of the lens to look through isn't intuitive yet, unlike the mark one version that doesn't work so well anymore. :ROFLMAO:
My frames do need some adjustments for comfort, that is for sure.

@Ezana4CE - I didn't actually need to adjust any of the scopes, just my eyes. And no, you can't hold my Sniper. :geek:

• Haha
Reactions: Ezana4CE
I noticed my scopes were blurry this fall when I was brushing up on my holds before hunting season.
Luckily, I got a scope from Franklink this summer with AO, so I could use the focus to see what I was aiming at.
The real problem: I only have one scope with AO, so I was stuck using my Sniper XR (the gun it's on) for hunting.
I really wanted to be able to grab my Avenger for those longer shots but I just couldn't see the targets clearly. Even close up work with my Notos was blurry!
I was super frustrated!
Now some might have rescoped each gun with an AO scope.
I chose to make an appointment to get my eyes checked.
That trip to the eye Dr. confirmed that I needed glasses! So much for reading the bottom line on the eye chart like I did last time I got my eyes checked 25yrs ago.
I had been using reading glasses to shoot but that was not ideal because I use the two eye open method while shooting. I've found that method lets me quickly switch which eye I'm using. Being able to do that lets me track squirrels without looking up from the scope and thus lets me stay on target as they run through the trees. I can't do that with reading glasses because the scope view is clear but then I can't see out of the non-scope eye without flipping up the glasses.
So after waiting for 10 days I got my glasses. And after another 10 days, I'm still getting used to them.
I am in love with the fact that my scope image is crystal clear again, the squirrels not so much.
Because I had my glasses on, I caught this fat boy sitting on a branch almost perfectly camouflaged against the forest back drop. A flick of his tail gave him away.
I got him with a perfect head shot right between the eye and ear.
He hung upside down by a back leg for about 10 seconds and then fell to the forest floor.
So now that I can see, I might take the scope off the Notos and go back to the red dot so I can put that scope back on my .22lr.

Anyone else have the glasses revelation?

View attachment 404608
.22cal BRK Sniper XR shooting 22 grain FX Hybrid Slugs
I bought a pair of readers from the dollar store. Measured and cut out a circular lens with my dremel tool, Elmer's glue, weak glue, on my eye piece . Now my blurry scope is clear and I dont need to look for glasses when I need to shoot real fast!

Reactions: AmosBurton
I bought a pair of readers from the dollar store. Measured and cut out a circular lens with my dremel tool, Elmer's glue, weak glue, on my eye piece . Now my blurry scope is clear and I dont need to look for glasses when I need to shoot real fast!

Hmmm, I could've saved enough doing that to get a new gun instead of glasses.
Kind of wish I thought of that. Well, except I really do need glasses to see anything within 6' clearly.