• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hunting with airguns

Six air guns, Cricket22, Vulcan177, Veterans 22,25. Mutant22, Prophet 25,

I raise and train Racing Pigeons, I hate and kill feral Pigeons, I have a family of Fox squirrels that stay around my yard and are having youngs ones very cute I think of them as pets, I also have a pet Raven that has been with me 15 years that talks , she just stays with me...

So what do I shoot, SPARROWS , 10 years ago I could shoot 30 or 60 a day, Now I am lucky to get 10 if I try real hard,And sometimes a rat or mouse as I have three bait stations around my yard for the sparrows, Also the Euro Doves in spring and summer to feed my 15 to 20 Box turtles.

Mike

Six air guns, Cricket22, Vulcan177, Veterans 22,25. Mutant22, Prophet 25,

I raise and train Racing Pigeons, I hate and kill feral Pigeons, I have a family of Fox squirrels that stay around my yard and are having youngs ones very cute I think of them as pets, I also have a pet Raven that has been with me 15 years that talks , she just stays with me...

So what do I shoot, SPARROWS , 10 years ago I could shoot 30 or 60 a day, Now I am lucky to get 10 if I try real hard,And sometimes a rat or mouse as I have three bait stations around my yard for the sparrows, Also the Euro Doves in spring and summer to feed my 15 to 20 Box turtles.

Mike

I had a pet Raven. I found him in the field by my place, he had gotten blown out of the nest by heavy winds, those have to be the ugliest chicks in creations, lol!. I put him in the fenced yard with the chickens and the ducks. Named him Crowzy, lol. It was funny watching his interactions with them, silly birds. He grew up and would follow me around on my property, then one day came and he flew off but came back with a mate a few months later. The next spring he kicked his parents off the property and raised his youngins. The years went by and his great grand kids kicked him off the property but he's still come around once in a while. 

I've shot coyotes, crows(not Ravens because they are a protected species), other birds, rabbits, rocksquirrels, etc, on my property. The only critters I have an abundance of around my place are stinkbugs, lol. Man I hate stepping on those things! Moving targets. 

Good for you sir! Just because you hunt select invasives doesn't make you a murderer without a soul as in commonly misunderstood. It's a false perception and stereotype held by many non-shooters- so I try to educate them whenever I can.

My neighbors have seen me leave the house in/with my fluorescent orange but are shocked when they see me caring for the stray cats at the abandoned house next door and rescuing their kittens. Heck- I just took in three kittens last week, some souless punk just dumped them and left them to freeze and starve. I took them in, fed them, bathed them paid for their vet care out of pocket and found them all homes. People are astounded.

So I take the time [for those who will talk to me- some don't but I don't take it personally] to explain that I'm a gun enthusiast AND an animal/nature lover. I only shoot pests and invasives, and larger game only when permissible under game commission guidelines. Most people don't know about animal overpopulation and its negatives effects- that many those beautiful healthy deer you see in the summer are starving to death in the winter, and fewer still know funding a state game commission by paying for licenses/permits actually promotes conservation and preservation.

I should have titled this STRANGE PETS

But I like you guys points about the care of animals and just because your a hunter does not make you a heartless person, 

Steve, I think my Raven is retarded, Never flown off, Never had a mate, Just waits for me all the time up in the trees.

Mike

Haha, retarded happens, lol! Did you get your Raven when it was a nestling? Mine was just getting a few black feathers when I found him. Our chicken yard had a 5ft fence so Crozy's parents were coming to visit and feed him everyday, I think that's why he remained wild??? He wouldn't let me get but a couple feet from him, he never tamed up all the way.

I think it's been 6 generations later and his great..... grandkids still come by to get eggs off the front porch railing, not that often though, they'll sit in the tree and ask for them, otherwise we don't put an egg out.

Steve,

Mine came in a box some local kids dropped him off knowing I was a bird man, I did not even know what it was (Kind) Only two or three days old, I was in a bad motorcycle accident the day after I got him, No hospital just bumped up real bad, road rash and all. He was taken care of in my house for about 10 weeks, I learned he was a Raven at about 3weeks old... I thought I was raising a buzzard for a week or two, LOL. Nothing more ugly than a baby raven, LOL. He plays dead on his back , Falls out of trees , and just falls over sometimes just for attention. Scared of bugs, Crazy bird I know. 

Mike

Haha that's awesome, what fun that must be!

Not the accident part of the story of course, but that gave the chance for both of you to get acquainted.

Thanks for sharing because I was very curious.

I had this pet Ferret for 7 years, his name was Rocky, he was a funny critter too. One time I was taking him on a walk and Crowzy flew down to meet Rocky which he had never done before even though Rocky had been around for a couple years. It was so funny watching those two interact! Crowzy would fly down, land on the ground, and peck him in the butt and then Rocky would turn around to get him back and crowzy would squawk then fly off about 10 feet, this went on for a couple minutes. That silly ferret got so wound up he was jumping and running all over the place! It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen, lol.